• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

As of 7:05 PM 03/30/20

1585613496980.png

As of 5:30 PM 03/31/20

Pretty significant jump in the US death rate since yesterday.

View attachment 40792

keep in mind two things

1. We aren’t testing mildly/moderately symptomatic people. Im pretty confident the death rate will be below 1%. This number is artificially high

2. Unfortunately, the absolute number of deaths is likely going to exponentially grow for a couple weeks, at least. The projection of 2500 deaths a day at peak is probably realistic

The thing that scares the crap out of me is how frequently severe the disease can be. The odds of getting severely ill is probably between 1 and 5 percent. This is why hospitals are overrun. Right now, our death/critical case rate is almost 9%. Again, the denominator is bigger than we know, but it is scary stuff. Profound respiratory failure. If this was 1918, we probably would see a 2-3% mortality because we wouldn’t have the tools to save people.

keep in mind two things

1. We aren’t testing mildly/moderately symptomatic people. Im pretty confident the death rate will be below 1%. This number is artificially high

2. Unfortunately, the absolute number of deaths is likely going to exponentially grow for a couple weeks, at least. The projection of 2500 deaths a day at peak is probably realistic

The thing that scares the crap out of me is how frequently severe the disease can be. The odds of getting severely ill is probably between 1 and 5 percent. This is why hospitals are overrun. Right now, our death/critical case rate is almost 9%. Again, the denominator is bigger than we know, but it is scary stuff. Profound respiratory failure. If this was 1918, we probably would see a 2-3% mortality because we wouldn’t have the tools to save people.

I agree the number of infected is low, probably by a wide margin which will significantly lower the death rate but I believe the number of deaths is fairly accurate and the jump in deaths since yesterday is eye catching.

I'm with you on the affects. How can it be so mild for some and so deadly for others when they are both of similar age and health? I makes me think there is a genetic component that makes some more vulnerable than others. (that's my totally uneducated medical analysis :)) I just hope they can get more ventilators manufactured because it would be so sad to have people die just because one wasn't available.

Last edited:
keep in mind two things

If you have a moment...
You mentioned that we're generally not testing people with mild symptoms. Of those actually being tested, how many are you seeing that come back positive? I saw something today that said only around 5% of tests in Nebraska are coming back positive. Are you seeing similar rates?

If you have a moment...
You mentioned that we're generally not testing people with mild symptoms. Of those actually being tested, how many are you seeing that come back positive? I saw something today that said only around 5% of tests in Nebraska are coming back positive. Are you seeing similar rates?

This will give you state by state testing numbers. What would also be interesting to see is the deaths broken out by preexisting conditions vs none. I've seen some state numbers here and there but nothing cumulative. I get the feeling we may be overstating age and understating the health conditions that happen to come with age. Just like obesity, it's not the obesity but the health conditions that tend to come along for the ride.

I agree the number of infected is low, probably by a wide margin which will significantly lower the death rate but I believe the number of deaths is fairly accurate and the jump in deaths since yesterday is eye catching.

I'm with you on the affects. How can it be so mild for some and so deadly for others when they are both of similar age and health? I makes me think there is a genetic component that makes some more vulnerable than others. (that's my totally uneducated medical analysis :)) I just hope they can get more ventilators manufactured because it would be so sad to have people die just because one wasn't available.

the death numbers are going to look a lot worse. a number of the people currently diagnosed and alive are going to die. Probably 30-70% of the current critical cases

My hospital feels like Winterfell awaiting their arrival of the Night King. Sorry if you don’t get the reference.

I have colleagues in Michigan and New York and New Orleans and the stories are unbelievable. New York and Michigan are begging doctors and nurses to come. You can get a license overnight. Unless they are locums or retired, I don’t know how that will work. We are all gearing up for our own fight.

It’s like a tsunami. You empty the hospital and it starts slowly. A few here and there. It’s quiet. No big deal. Then more. And more. And more. Now you have no open rooms and they still come so you cram them into empty ORs and conference rooms. And still more. And you start partitioning space with garbage bags To crest space. You are running out of ventilators and you try to share them and use the anesthesia machines. And they still come. Refrigerator trucks park outside because the hospital morgue is full. You beg other hospitals to help but they are all the same. And now providers are dropping like flies. Most get sent to quaratine. Some get intubated and put on the vent. And more come. Now the army is trying to find space for a field hospital.

this is what is happening in New York. There are no diagnoses but COVID. Specialties are no longer relevant. They are all COVID docs and nurses. Next man and woman up.

I don’t think it will be like this everywhere. I think Nebraska might get spared a horrible surge, but I do wonder what happens then. Does it just come in the summer or fall? I look at the numbers with dread. Aside from Washington state, there isn’t much optimism to see. Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, Boston, Indianapolis, and on and on and on. The case rate is in exponential growth. I hear the stress in voices. I see the change in social media poss from “not bad yet” to “its pretty bad” to “god help us”

anyway, right now for me, it’s quiet. I still have some hope that our social distancing will blunt the surge. The scary thing is a month ago, we were all saying that.

If you have a moment...

I believe today Rickets said we were at 5.3%. He said the DC mayor said they were around 12%.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back