• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coronavirus Status Updates

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
Posting this on the football forum to provide a single source of information about the Corona virus. The purpose is to provide information only about current developments about Covid-19 and is NOT for political commentary. Acceptable replies are notices of closings of schools, sports events and any other non political updates. The political discussion is to remain in Hot Topics only.

Here is a link to a video player that is curated from more than 100 sources that is updated every 20 minutes with only Corona virus coverage.

Here is a link to a statistics page that is updated regularly.

Here is a second statistics page.

Here is a state by state statistics page - The Covid Tracking Project.

Here is the Center for Disease Control (CDC) page.

Here is the World Health Organization page.

Nationwide school closure database.

Again please keep updates non political.

3/22 - Edit to add Covid Tracking Project.

Last edited:
On the like to the second statistics page it shows a 7 percent death rate for the closed cases. Can that be right or am I missing something?

On the like to the second statistics page it shows a 7 percent death rate for the closed cases. Can that be right or am I missing something?

That number is in relation to the closed cases and not the total cases. The current total of all cases brings the death rate to 3.73 per cent. The number is skewed because of the vast difference in testing by different countries.

If you look at the US numbers which has a lot fewer people being tested the same percentage you quoted is a whopping 61%.

I believe a better number to monitor would be the percentage in the active cases. Currently (3/13) the number of active cases is 2,190 of which 10 is serious and could die and if they all did the percentage would be 0.00456 per cent rounded up to half of one percent.

I also think it is too early to come up with a comparison to something like the common flu until there is more testing done and more time passes.

The good news is the 2,180 of 2,190 active cases have mild symptoms and are expected to recover.

who knows? The problem with trying to come up with stats is that they only take into account people who have been definitively diagnosed. i Imagine there are a lot of people who may get infected but show no symptoms, or symptoms mild enough that they just stay home and recover.

i saw a chart a few days ago that claimed the Netherlands had a 100% death rate. But if you looked closely at the stats, it was misleading. The stats showed 260’ish people diagnosed and 3 died. Maybe they figured 3 cases were closed and 3 died so that is a 100% death rate. But that is not a useful statistic to be feeding the public, IMHO.

I know its very inconvenient and maybe over reacting but we need to be on top of this. Hopefully we can keep the death toll down.

That number is in relation to the closed cases and not the total cases. The current total of all cases brings the death rate to 3.73 per cent. The number is skewed because of the vast difference in testing by different countries.

If you look at the US numbers which has a lot fewer people being tested the same percentage you quoted is a whopping 61%.

I believe a better number to monitor would be the percentage in the active cases. Currently (3/13) the number of active cases is 2,190 of which 10 is serious and could die and if they all did the percentage would be 0.00456 per cent rounded up to half of one percent.

I also think it is too early to come up with a comparison to something like the common flu until there is more testing done and more time passes.

The good news is the 2,180 of 2,190 active cases have mild symptoms and are expected to recover.
Also I think you need to add in the fact that a lot of people who catch this have symptoms so mild that they would not even get tested.

Pennsylvania Gov. just ordered all public schools closed for two weeks.

In California they are closing by county. My grandkids county (Sacramento) is closed until March 27th. Other surrounding counties as long as April 13th.

Fort Worth area schools just finished a week of spring break and now are closing at least for the next two weeks. I think the DFW metroplex schools are following a similar process.

I was sitting here in Kansas tonight with ESPN and wondering how Scottsbluff did in the state basketball tournament earlier when ESPN actually showed highlights of the game. Roncalli beat Scottsbluff 68-55. I wasn't expecting those highlights.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the list of universities/colleges that were closed/closing as of yesterday:

KSU hasn’t been added yet. We announced our closing yesterday.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back