• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

CornNation article on home page

If you haven't read the article, please do as I will reference it on a later post.

There are basically 3 things they talk about that screw with us, and it's kind of sobering to read/watch.

1) This first one is legitimate. It's what Belichick did to Mahomes and the Chiefs to shut them down for awhile. If you aren't ready for it, it's tough. You also aren't going to get a scout team to prepare you for it, so if you aren't running it from your normal defense, it's difficult. That said, a terribly slow linebacker lined up 5 yards off the ball on a delayed blitz made us throw the ball where we didn't want to (watch our RG on the play, this should be easily picked up).

2) The second one is just pre-snap looks. Line up a bunch of guys and make the offensive line decide who they want to block. You also know that the OL starts from the inside out so if you send pressure off the edge you are probably getting home. That play had our 5 offensive linemen blocking 2 guys. The 3 stand up LBs in the middle bailed, and the 2 outside rushers were home free. Colorado sent 4 and got home with 2 guys. We were confused, but you have to get better.

3) This last one is the most worrisome. It's a simple DE/DT twist or stunt or whatever the hell you want to call it. Our RTs guy starts slanting hard inside (where our OL has help), at this point he should be keeping his head up to see if anyone is looping around as he's pushing his guy to our RG. He doesn't, sees the guy late, and literally trips over his feet trying to get out to block the guy looping around. There is a dedicated period nearly everyday for OL on blitz pickups on every college team. I watched hudl films from 2 high school teams this past week that picked looping defenders up better than this.

That is some pretty poor line play.

Related image

3) This last one is the most worrisome. It's a simple DE/DT twist or stunt or whatever the hell you want to call it. Our RTs guy starts slanting hard inside (where our OL has help), at this point he should be keeping his head up to see if anyone is looping around as he's pushing his guy to our RG. He doesn't, sees the guy late, and literally trips over his feet trying to get out to block the guy looping around. There is a dedicated period nearly everyday for OL on blitz pickups on every college team. I watched hudl films from 2 high school teams this past week that picked looping defenders up better than this.

To me this is the most frustrating. I understand inside-out priority but if I'm a Offensive Tackle and the guy across from me dives inside … why would I commit?

One of two things are going to happen … (1) the D-End and D-Tackle are going to attack the offensive guard and try and split the two gaps either side of the guard, all the Tackle needs to do is keep his balance, put a hand on the D-End to force his momentum sideways -or- (2) The DT twists and you're prepared for this by keeping your head up and your balance underneath your feet.

A twist takes time in college and adequately blocked will result in limited pressure on the QB.

How much of our troubles are due to guys simply not keeping their eyes up?

Nothing's worse than seeing 3 O-linemen standing there blocking no one, while 2 defenders are meeting at the QB. I wonder if some of that is, "but that guy's not my responsibility", but still they just need to do their jobs (block SOMEONE) instead of overthinking.

If you haven't read the article, please do as I will reference it on a later post.

There are basically 3 things they talk about that screw with us, and it's kind of sobering to read/watch.

1) This first one is legitimate. It's what Belichick did to Mahomes and the Chiefs to shut them down for awhile. If you aren't ready for it, it's tough. You also aren't going to get a scout team to prepare you for it, so if you aren't running it from your normal defense, it's difficult. That said, a terribly slow linebacker lined up 5 yards off the ball on a delayed blitz made us throw the ball where we didn't want to (watch our RG on the play, this should be easily picked up).

2) The second one is just pre-snap looks. Line up a bunch of guys and make the offensive line decide who they want to block. You also know that the OL starts from the inside out so if you send pressure off the edge you are probably getting home. That play had our 5 offensive linemen blocking 2 guys. The 3 stand up LBs in the middle bailed, and the 2 outside rushers were home free. Colorado sent 4 and got home with 2 guys. We were confused, but you have to get better.

Related image

On number 3 I agree that it was a poor job by RT, but Martinez has to make a decision quicker also. I count a full 4 Mississippi's before he is hit. Line play needs to improve for sure, but Martinez has to get rid of things faster also.

On number 3 I agree that it was a poor job by RT, but Martinez has to make a decision quicker also. I count a full 4 Mississippi's before he is hit. Line play needs to improve for sure, but Martinez has to get rid of things faster also.
Probably true. I guess for me, I know Martinez per-snap thinks he’s got four rushers and five linemen protecting him, so there’s not a big clock in his head. Especially on 3rd and long. I don’t think he held it too long as he was getting sacked when a lot of our WRs were getting to second level.

Probably true. I guess for me, I know Martinez per-snap thinks he’s got four rushers and five linemen protecting him, so there’s not a big clock in his head. Especially on 3rd and long. I don’t think he held it too long as he was getting sacked when a lot of our WRs were getting to second level.

I just think in that case it is a little of both. Martinez is not playing real sharp IMO. He is not playing with confidence and that could be caused by a lot of things, one of which is poor line play. They just need to figure things out.

If he wants to play at the next level, heck if he wants to succeed in the B1G, that clock needs to be automatic.

I hope this year the staff evaluates the lin as it goes and is not afraid to promote someone ahead of a starter if necessary. Last year, we watched the line play horrible. Then conrad gets hurt and that forces Farmer to center and Wilson to the lineup and the line gets way way better. Would we have done this without the injury? It seems No. Should we have. Its seems yes.
I hope we dont just accept poor line play rather than trying some guys who might play better.

1. RT is our weakest link and this carries over from last year. This is in large part because he should be a RG.
2. One would think that a 6’8” TE would be a QB best friend in a blitz so why hasn’t Adrian found him in these situations?
3. Improved guard play eliminates a lot of the problems identified in the article by: inside running game, making the defense honor Adrian QB counter play, and making it more likely that Adrian can step up in the pocket to throw or escape up the middle rather than the current which is the middle being where the pressure comes (shades of 2018).
4. My only answer to #3 is Farniok to his correct position at RG and then Bando or Benhart at RT. 36blast in another thread said this was “taking a step back” or something like that. My thought is playing Farniok out of position is wasting his skill,especially since ever d-coordinator we play sees it and will take advantage of him be out of his best position.
All thes best. GBR

Last edited:
To me this is the most frustrating. I understand inside-out priority but if I'm a Offensive Tackle and the guy across from me dives inside … why would I commit?

One of two things are going to happen … (1) the D-End and D-Tackle are going to attack the offensive guard and try and split the two gaps either side of the guard, all the Tackle needs to do is keep his balance, put a hand on the D-End to force his momentum sideways -or- (2) The DT twists and you're prepared for this by keeping your head up and your balance underneath your feet.

A twist takes time in college and adequately blocked will result in limited pressure on the QB.
In the article the say Farniok is a “lunger”, making him more susceptible to these stunts by the defense. Also points out that his footwork is best suited for guard not RT.

Eeeesh . . . that's ugly line play. Need to get that buttoned up ASAP--or find someone who can get it done.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back