• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

corned beef

Squatchsker

All American
15 Year Member
I just got done sticking a 12 pound brisket in to brine for 6 or 7 days. Oh how I wish I could travel in time. I will let you know how it was. :stickouttongue:

20131229_142119.jpg

All done and cut to see the flat. It was FREAKING AWESOME!

Nice! Now that you have it down. My mailing address is.........................

What is in your brine?????

For a trimmed partial brisket this will do. I doubled it because I did a whole brisket

2 quarts water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon peppercorn
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch ground cloves
1 tablespoon dill
2 cloves minced garlic

I cross cut about 1/4 inch deep before brineing to allow penetration, along with piercing with a skewer. I let it brine for a week before rinsing and baking. I did not boil it. I put it in the oven covered with the simmering spices on 325 for about 5 hours. I would guage the time based on how big the brisket is.

The Simmering Liquid
water, to come up 3/4 to side of brisket
1 teaspoon peppercorn
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
4 garlic cloves, sliced

Once baking is done I took it out to set up, and used the simmering solution to boil my taters, cabbage, and onions in.

I just drooled on myself

Squatch has inspired me.

I started making pastrami last week.

I made a brine of sodium nitrate, kosher salt, homemade pickling spice, water and garlic.

Brine.jpg

I let it soak for 7 days. Here is a mid soak pic I took while stirring to make sure no sides stayed touching and keeping the brine from penetrating.

Mid brine.jpg

I then let it cleanse in tap water for 24 hours because I eyeballed the sodium nitrate and didn't want it to be overwhelming:

Cleanse.jpg

Then I rubbed it before I smoked it. I found a homemade rub online. That seemed like a lot of work. So I took a collection of rubs that I have on hand and made a mixture with rubs that contained the ingredients from the online recipe. Cheap and easy. Here is the brisket rubbed. I let it rest in the rub for 24 hours:

Presmoke.jpg

I then smoked it for 10 hours and took off the heat when internal temp reached 180. The final product is delicious:
End.jpg

I had to sample it. Now it is resting in aluminum foil in the fridge. After cooling, I will steam it and cut it into thin slices for sandwiches.

Squatch has inspired me.

I started making pastrami last week.

I made a brine of sodium nitrate, kosher salt, homemade pickling spice, water and garlic.

View attachment 5897

I let it soak for 7 days. Here is a mid soak pic I took while stirring to make sure no sides stayed touching and keeping the brine from penetrating.

View attachment 5898

I then let it cleanse in tap water for 24 hours because I eyeballed the sodium nitrate and didn't want it to be overwhelming:

View attachment 5899

Then I rubbed it before I smoked it. I found a homemade rub online. That seemed like a lot of work. So I took a collection of rubs that I have on hand and made a mixture with rubs that contained the ingredients from the online recipe. Cheap and easy. Here is the brisket rubbed. I let it rest in the rub for 24 hours:

View attachment 5900

I then smoked it for 10 hours and took off the heat when internal temp reached 180. The final product is delicious:
View attachment 5901

I had to sample it. Now it is resting in aluminum foil in the fridge. After cooling, I will steam it and cut it into thin slices for sandwiches.

The easiest pastrami rub is 1/3 c ground course black pepper 1/4 cup coriander and if you can find them 1/3 c crushed juniper berries ( I normally leave these out). After smoking it is important to refridgerate for 24 hrs

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back