• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Congrats to UNO in beating a Big Ten foe

If your a Husker fan, this is worrisome having UNO be a competitive D-I baseball program. NU will be in direct competition for area recruits.

If your a Husker fan, this is worrisome having UNO be a competitive D-I baseball program. NU will be in direct competition for area recruits.

Possibly. It slices the pie 3 ways now instead of 2 if you include Creighton as well. But if NU is successful, I think they will continue to draw the lion-share of talent from the state. We'll see. It just sucks for the Hawkeye's though losing to a start-up D1 team. :Biggrin:

Iowa really isn't a very good baseball team this year. Good for UNO.

Iowa really hasn't been been good at baseball in 40 years -- and its been about 30 since the Big Ten was any good. Beating Iowa is the equivalent of beating Kent State of the MAC in Division I-A/FBS football.

Possibly. It slices the pie 3 ways now instead of 2 if you include Creighton as well. But if NU is successful, I think they will continue to draw the lion-share of talent from the state. We'll see

Actually, you wouldn't include Creighton, due to the 11.7 schollies and tuition, Creighton competes for a "different" player than UNL or UNO.

NU will draw the lions share, but much like the worry in football if UNO went DIAA, it wouldn't be the studs who would go to UNO, it would be the back up role players and the late bloomers who would be seeking immediate playing time and not ride the bench for the first 2-3 years.

These players are the backbone of the program.

With UNO full DI in baseball, UNO is eligible for regionals, supers, the CWS, etc. They are also eligible to host regionals, too.

Actually, you wouldn't include Creighton, due to the 11.7 schollies and tuition, Creighton competes for a "different" player than UNL or UNO.

NU will draw the lions share, but much like the worry in football if UNO went DIAA, it wouldn't be the studs who would go to UNO, it would be the back up role players and the late bloomers who would be seeking immediate playing time and not ride the bench for the first 2-3 years.

These players are the backbone of the program.

With UNO full DI in baseball, UNO is eligible for regionals, supers, the CWS, etc. They are also eligible to host regionals, too.

Fro - How many schollies can NU and UNO use? I get the tuition part. CU is much more expensive than the state schools, but they still can cut into NU's recruiting for some Omaha players. I know baseball schollies are all together different than football as they break them up.

Others prolly know more, but I think the 11.7 schollies must be spread over 27 players, with a minimum of 25% per player (that is, IF a school is fully funded, I know NU and Creighton are, but I don't know if UNO is fully funded at 11.7)

So if you divide 27 players by 25% each, thats 6.75 schollies off the top, with the remaining 4.95 to be divided up, usually among the "line of talent".

That is, draw a line from the catcher, thru the pitcher, thru second base and thru the center fielder, and the closer a player is to that line, the more money they usually get (generally speaking). Of course, exceptions to all rules, as if you have Alex Gordon playing third you have to fund him (although even in Alex's last year he wasn't at 100%, it was around 85% iirc)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back