• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Congrats Frank for being the all time wins coach in the MAC

And I will also add Nebraska's third best coach in the Huskers modern history! When you are a 165 pound fullback you have to be tough
Depends where you define (start) modern history.

If it is Bob Devaney and thereafter then you're right ... you also don't have a lot to choose from (Callahan, Riley, Pelini) either ... lastly I hope he soon becomes 4th best!

Frank’s a good guy. But isn’t it evidence that he really wasn’t cut out for P5 work that he never returned?

Frank’s a good guy. But isn’t it evidence that he really wasn’t cut out for P5 work that he never returned?

Not really, Solich was 60 years old when he took the job at Ohio. He may be very happy where he is at. The grass isn't always greaner. That doesn't mean he couldn't be good at somewhere else. I think he has done a pretty good job at Ohio. If you watch any MAC football over time you will see that teams are up and down. Ohio has been pretty consistently good in their conference. Not great, but good.

we will never know..... what other school would have fired a coach who won about 9.7 games per year ???. none,....... he just gotten Pelini as DC so maybe he coulda kept that winning % up for awhile, hard to know. An AD with a massive ego, was insistant on leaving HIS stamp on the program, so he must have needed HIS guy to run it. What a fool. He got rid of a 10 win/yr coach in HOPES if finding and 11 win/yr coach. He just should have found other ways to strengthen the program, like we are doing now with HCSF. anyway:

Congrats Frank,

Not really, Solich was 60 years old when he took the job at Ohio. He may be very happy where he is at. The grass isn't always greaner. That doesn't mean he couldn't be good at somewhere else. I think he has done a pretty good job at Ohio. If you watch any MAC football over time you will see that teams are up and down. Ohio has been pretty consistently good in their conference. Not great, but good.

Frank could have tried to leverage up, but at that age it would have been tough, and he seems to have really taken pride in resurrecting a program that had historically been awful. Athens is a pretty part of the country also, so if you're going to stay somewhere for a while, it's high on the list. MAC coaching and teams are pretty good as well, so it's challenging without some of the headaches of the P5 world!

Congrats to him, he's a good coach. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done when he changed the staff that last year. I thought the revamped Husker coaching staff was solid

we will never know..... what other school would have fired a coach who won about 9.7 games per year ???. none,....... he just gotten Pelini as DC so maybe he coulda kept that winning % up for awhile, hard to know. An AD with a massive ego, was insistant on leaving HIS stamp on the program, so he must have needed HIS guy to run it. What a fool. He got rid of a 10 win/yr coach in HOPES if finding and 11 win/yr coach. He just should have found other ways to strengthen the program, like we are doing now with HCSF. anyway:

Congrats Frank,
The positive is that our University has apparently learned its lesson with coaches, etc.. If you get a decent one, keep them and let them build the program. Nebraska, probably more than any other program, must build its program for the long haul.

I'm not sure Frank would have lasted here for super long with the expectations to win every year. Frank has had some not so good seasons at Ohio mixed in with some really good seasons. However, he has built consistency and longevity... something we sorely need to keep embracing here.

Nice honor for Frank nonetheless.

Can we all just agree that Frank has been a very good mid major coach and was a great assistant coach at Nebraska and leave it at that? Both of those things are elite accomplishments that he and his family should be extremely proud of and there are a limited number of people that could do either of these things as well as he has. Very impressive feats.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back