• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conference usa coach of the year fired

He had Marshall in the Top 15 at one point near the end of the season and they fired him? Damn.

Apparently, Doc Holliday had made some very powerful enemies. Per Yahoo, the decision to fire him wasn't made by the AD. It was made by West Virginia Governor Jim Justice and Board of Governors at Marshall.

Last edited:
Apparently, Doc Holliday had made some very powerful enemies. Per Yahoo, the decision to fire him wasn't made by the AD. It was made by West Virginia Governor Jim Justice and Board of Governors at Marshall.

Interesting. It figures that politics would be involved here, because the W/L record doesn't suggest someone who deserves to be fired from Marshall of all places.

Interesting. It figures that politics would be involved here, because the W/L record doesn't suggest someone who deserves to be fired from Marshall of all places.

IMO, what's even odder is that I read multiple articles published by major websites like Sports Illustrated, and *nobody's* got any more detail than the Thamel tweet. Thamel himself hasn't elaborated on it except to tweet a link to an April 2017 article in the Charleston Gazette-Mail that alleges Gov. Justice was trying to get Holliday fired three years ago in favor of former Marshall Head Coach Bobby Pruett. Apparently, back then Justice also tried to get the school's Board of Governors to fire Marshall President Jerry Gilbert and AD Mike Hamrick.

EDIT: Pruett's 77 and hasn't coached since he was DC at Virginia in 2008. If Justice is trying to get him re-hired at Marshall, the AD was absolutely right to refuse to do it.

Last edited:
Doc to the Governor:
1609896650873.png

From what I gathered reading about Rich Rodriguez's experiences, it's been a long, long-standing problem in the state of West Virginia that important politicians interfere with football coaches at pretty much all of the state universities. I know some of this happens in lots of places, but when you can get coaches as diverse and spread out over time as Bobby Bowden, Rich Rodriguez, Dana Holgorsen, and now Holliday to all experience this kind of treatment, it would seem to be a bit more of a problem in West Virginia than in most places.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back