• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Compact Tractor

Redleg

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Maybe wrong forum (Mods feel free to move), but Planes, Trains, and Automobiles doesn't seem to have much action lately and its hunting / food plot related so...

I'm shopping for a compact tractor (~45hp, no cab) to do general brush clearing, build food plots, and hauling heavy stuff in a loader. In addition to the loader, 6ft brush hog and 6ft box blade are the near term implements I'm looking at. The previous owner leased the property for hay which I'll continue for at least another year. No row crops or livestock on the property, just a mix of grass and timber in eastern KS.

Just wondering if anyone had semi-recent experience to share their good, bad, or ugly of buying a tractor for a small property (mine is 52 acres). Brand specific feedback or just general considerations are welcome.

Maybe wrong forum (Mods feel free to move), but Planes, Trains, and Automobiles doesn't seem to have much action lately and its hunting / food plot related so...

I'm shopping for a compact tractor (~45hp, no cab) to do general brush clearing, build food plots, and hauling heavy stuff in a loader. In addition to the loader, 6ft brush hog and 6ft box blade are the near term implements I'm looking at. The previous owner leased the property for hay which I'll continue for at least another year. No row crops or livestock on the property, just a mix of grass and timber in eastern KS.

Just wondering if anyone had semi-recent experience to share their good, bad, or ugly of buying a tractor for a small property (mine is 52 acres). Brand specific feedback or just general considerations are welcome.
I have a John Deere 1025R with the loader, 54' 3 point grooming mower, 6 foot blade, 5 foot finger rake, tiller, 6' foot box scraper, 3 point auger, and 5 foot 3-point snow blower. It's an awesome machine and the attachments are life savers when I want to do a project. I have 10 acres.

For 52 acres, the 1025R probably doesn't have enough power for you. I'd look at the 2 series if I were you. My 1025R runs out of power running the snow blower on inclines. Make sure you get tire chains if you get a snow blower.

Kubota's are nice, but what sold me on the John Deere was a) value holding power of the green tractor and b) some part is further back on the John Deere than the Kubota (I can't remember what it was; had a long day. I called my guy and I'll edit later. EDIT: I'm told the tie rods on the front wheels of the Kubota are exposed, so if you run into something, you are Texased; while they are a bit further back in the JD, so they won't get bent in a collision). The point was that if you mess up your front end, you have a front end repair on the JD instead of a full engine rebuild on the Kubota.

Also, John Deere service is easier to find around my parts; I bet it is around yours, too.

Edit: As I think about, a 3 series might be the way to go with 52 acres. That's quite a bit of land. They are offering 0% for 72 months on 1, 2, and 3 series right now. I was able to negotiate mine on annual payments when I bought it 4 years ago. I had a drive green coupon I could couple with the financing, but not the cash discount. So I took the financing instead of the cash price because I could spread out the cost over 6 years at 0% with an annual payment.

Last edited:

I'll say, if you're really feeling spendy, a skid steer might be a good option. However, I know Catepillar is selling spots in line right now. But with brush clearing and timber, there's a bunch of really cool attachments on skid steer attachments that would make your life a breeze.

@ksuhusker ,

I will ask a buddy that has 9 tractors, his are bigger than what you would be looking for. Not sure what your budget is but I would look at Big Iron for a decent price. In the event you don't find anything, hit me up, we'll be discing soon.

I have a John Deere 1025R with the loader, 54' 3 point grooming mower, 6 foot blade, 5 foot finger rake, tiller, 6' foot box scraper, 3 point auger, and 5 foot 3-point snow blower. It's an awesome machine and the attachments are life savers when I want to do a project. I have 10 acres.

For 52 acres, the 1025R probably doesn't have enough power for you. I'd look at the 2 series if I were you. My 1025R runs out of power running the snow blower on inclines. Make sure you get tire chains if you get a snow blower.

Kubota's are nice, but what sold me on the John Deere was a) value holding power of the green tractor and b) some part is further back on the John Deere than the Kubota (I can't remember what it was; had a long day. I called my guy and I'll edit later. EDIT: I'm told the tie rods on the front wheels of the Kubota are exposed, so if you run into something, you are Texased; while they are a bit further back in the JD, so they won't get bent in a collision). The point was that if you mess up your front end, you have a front end repair on the JD instead of a full engine rebuild on the Kubota.

Also, John Deere service is easier to find around my parts; I bet it is around yours, too.

Edit: As I think about, a 3 series might be the way to go with 52 acres. That's quite a bit of land. They are offering 0% for 72 months on 1, 2, and 3 series right now. I was able to negotiate mine on annual payments when I bought it 4 years ago. I had a drive green coupon I could couple with the financing, but not the cash discount. So I took the financing instead of the cash price because I could spread out the cost over 6 years at 0% with an annual payment.
Ballpark price, what do you have into the JD and all of the accessories? This is something I have kicked around for a few years. Need to get serious with the food plots and such. For now just have an old JD skidsteer and a four wheeler with drag. The little I have done they have worked so far. Hoping to do a bit more every year.

Ballpark price, what do you have into the JD and all of the accessories? This is something I have kicked around for a few years. Need to get serious with the food plots and such. For now just have an old JD skidsteer and a four wheeler with drag. The little I have done they have worked so far. Hoping to do a bit more every year.
I got in at a great price in 2018. If I remember correctly, I got the 1025R for like 13-14K. The loader, 3 point mower, and blade came for another 1k-1200. I bought the finger rake for like $400 from a third party manufacturer, and I got the snow blower from a dealership in Kansas that had to repo some guy; I paid 2k for the snowblower. The box scraper was like $500 used and the auger I lucked into for free. So like 20k total after tax.

I'm actually considering selling the 1025R on Machinery Pete/Big Iron right now. I saw one listed for 21k with 300 hours, I only have 160 hours on mine. I'm thinking of selling and then buying a new 2 series.

Thanks, Basil. I found a good deal on a JD 4044M package (FEL, box blade, brush hog) in Frederick, OK, but the logistics of getting it up here has me re-looking. I don't have my own trailer large enough to haul it all and it would probably exceed the towing capacity of my 1/2 ton truck. The local JD dealer can't come close to that price.

I almost went with a Case IH 40A. Seemed like a decent little tractor, but the loader on that is a bit skimpy compared to competitors. Also, the advice of "when you think you know what size tractor you need, go a little bigger" is in the back of my mind. The 40A would be enough for probably 90% of what I plan to do, but I do have the budget to get a bit more tractor than I need right now so trying to balance that tipping point of getting a little extra vs wasting $$ getting too much.

I will ask a buddy that has 9 tractors, his are bigger than what you would be looking for. Not sure what your budget is but I would look at Big Iron for a decent price. In the event you don't find anything, hit me up, we'll be discing soon.
Thanks, KSU. I checked out Big Iron a bit and didn't really find much close in a smaller compact / utility tractor. Mostly beasts that far exceed what I'll do.

I might be out your way on Wed for the NU-KSU baseball game. Will keep an eye on the weather. Right now it looks mid 50's and windy.

I got in at a great price in 2018. If I remember correctly, I got the 1025R for like 13-14K. The loader, 3 point mower, and blade came for another 1k-1200. I bought the finger rake for like $400 from a third party manufacturer, and I got the snow blower from a dealership in Kansas that had to repo some guy; I paid 2k for the snowblower. The box scraper was like $500 used and the auger I lucked into for free. So like 20k total after tax.

I'm actually considering selling the 1025R on Machinery Pete/Big Iron right now. I saw one listed for 21k with 300 hours, I only have 160 hours on mine. I'm thinking of selling and then buying a new 2 series.
Nice.

The lack of inventory right now sucks and that's been one of the major reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on one. I really like the CaseIH 45C, but can't get it in the open station. Not sure if I want to splurge for the cab- in the dead of KS winters (and summer), I'd probably really appreciate it. Also, I have some trees to get in and around and an open cab with ROPS makes it easier. Also, the $$s I spend on a cab could be used for more hp in a different tractor.

Thanks, KSU. I checked out Big Iron a bit and didn't really find much close in a smaller compact / utility tractor. Mostly beasts that far exceed what I'll do.

I might be out your way on Wed for the NU-KSU baseball game. Will keep an eye on the weather. Right now it looks mid 50's and windy.
Let me know, I'll walk over and hang. I had a customer yesterday that has a 3 cylinder Kubota 4wd tractor that needs the 3 point hydraulic system fixed but is selling it. If your in town we can go look at it if you're interested.

Let me know, I'll walk over and hang. I had a customer yesterday that has a 3 cylinder Kubota 4wd tractor that needs the 3 point hydraulic system fixed but is selling it. If your in town we can go look at it if you're interested.
Will do.

My dad has that exact model and many of the same implements you mentioned. We have a combined 5 acres that we use it on regularly.

I have a separate riding mower though. We do have the mower deck for the Deere, but in my experience you get a much cleaner chop using either a zero-turn or a lawn tractor style finish mower. The tractor has a 60" deck, but my Craftsman has a 52" (maybe 54"?) although it's much faster, has a 6" turn radius and finishes nicer. I can actually mow quicker AND cleaner with a mower and it was only like $3500. It's not that much more expensive than some of the tractor attachments.

If you have both field / trees AND some amount of lawn, I'd say there's a use case for both.

Last edited:

My dad has that exact model and many of the same implements you mentioned. We have a combined 5 acres that we use it on regularly.

I have a separate riding mower though. We do have the mower deck for the Deere, but in my experience you get a much cleaner chop using either a zero-turn or a lawn tractor style finish mower. The tractor has a 60" deck, but my Craftsman has a 52" (maybe 54"?) although it's much faster, has a 6" turn radius and finishes nicer. I can actually mow quicker AND cleaner with a mower and it was only like $3500. It's not that much more expensive than some of the tractor attachments.

If you have both field / trees AND some amount of lawn, I'd say there's a use case for both.
I have a zero turn Big Dog for my yard

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back