• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Colorado St. hires . . . Steve Addazio? Really???

Except it’s a little less shocking for a program like CSU, IMO.

They’ve had one really good coach and a few good years from others, but overall pretty bad football. What does puzzle me is that they’ve got a new stadium, decent support facilities and good regional fan support. I’d think you could have gotten a somewhat desirable up and comer, but maybe not.
Yes, I'd agree that it is slightly less shocking as compared to NU....but my overall point was...you have options to bring in anyone and you settle on a career .500 coach. But I think we're saying the same thing for the most part.

Living here in the northeast, I've watched a lot of BC football and this team, much like CSU, has been irrelevant for the most part for a long time. BC is light years removed from the Flutie, Phelan, and Ruth years. For the most part, they've played boring, unimaginative football under Addazio. I don't see how that changes at CSU unless he takes some chances on some younger blood for his OC/DC positions. The retreads he's hired will not get the job done.

Yes, I'd agree that it is slightly less shocking as compared to NU....but my overall point was...you have options to bring in anyone and you settle on a career .500 coach. But I think we're saying the same thing for the most part.

Living here in the northeast, I've watched a lot of BC football and this team, much like CSU, has been irrelevant for the most part for a long time. BC is light years removed from the Flutie, Phelan, and Ruth years. For the most part, they've played boring, unimaginative football under Addazio. I don't see how that changes at CSU unless he takes some chances on some younger blood for his OC/DC positions. The retreads he's hired will not get the job done.

We’re saying the same thing.

Your description of BC football is very Riley-esque. Good luck Rammies.

Sounds

Well . . . all I can do is hope this works out. But what a head-scratcher on pretty much every level. Older, career .500 coach (sound familiar?) who never won more than 7 games at BC. Maybe he'll hire some great, innovative assistants but I have a feeling it will be retreads of past mediocirty and CSU will be stuck for yet more years.

Surely there were some younger, more exciting options (Tony Alford??) and even lower-level guys with actual career winning records who would have been thrilled to coach in Ft. Collins? The fan base is not excited about this hire in the least.

Sounds like CSU is not really committed to supporting football.

Sounds like CSU is not really committed to supporting football.

They should be with that awesome, new stadium on campus. Sounds like the administration got Urban-ed into the Addazio hire. That's just a lousy hire, IMHO. Nothing about that guy (outside of "experience") fits CSU.

Maybe the guy will bring in good assistants and make me eat those words. I sure hope so. But I can tell you that there is almost nobody out here who thinks he was a good choice. They need to fill seats in that stadium and that's going to take fielding a competitive team and beating your rivals occasionally. So Addazio better deliver and do it pretty fast.

Last edited:

I agree it’s not a “sexy” hire - but as of right now, it’s not exactly a “sexy” job. Also, I don’t think CSU is probably willing to spend the kind of money a bigger name or hotter prospect will accept...

I agree it’s not a “sexy” hire - but as of right now, it’s not exactly a “sexy” job. Also, I don’t think CSU is probably willing to spend the kind of money a bigger name or hotter prospect will accept...

Bobo was the highest paid coach in the MWC. Addazio will be 2nd or 3rd at $1.5m/year with raises built in.

I don't think anyone was expecting a sexy hire. They wanted either someone with CSU ties associated to a winning program (Tony Alford at tOSU for example) or a younger, up-and-coming guy from a smaller school (maybe FCS) with a winning record. The reason Bobo was fired was that he was decidedly mediocre and lost almost every game to the 3 big regional rivals. Addazio has an established record of mediocrity coming in and jut got canned for it a couple weeks ago.

We're stuck with him for better or worse. Hopefully he ends up being a winner. His record doesn't give much hope that he will be and it will be ugly fast if he lives "up" to the reason why fans and boosters are questioning the hire.

Last edited:
Well . . . all I can do is hope this works out. But what a head-scratcher on pretty much every level. Older, career .500 coach (sound familiar?) who never won more than 7 games at BC. Maybe he'll hire some great, innovative assistants but I have a feeling it will be retreads of past mediocirty and CSU will be stuck for yet more years.

Surely there were some younger, more exciting options (Tony Alford??) and even lower-level guys with actual career winning records who would have been thrilled to coach in Ft. Collins? The fan base is not excited about this hire in the least.

CSU is a team that I like to see do well. I don't care for this hire. For lack of a better terms, it seems uninspired. The guy just got fired from a middling program, and basically all of his recent coaching experience is on the East Coast.

I thought CSU would hire Alford. I think I would even have preferred Ed McCaffrey... but he'll be across I-25 instead.

Well, this should fan the flames a bit more . . .

For those that love to hate Colorado State’s new head football coach, this will go over real well.

Earlier this week, Colorado State stunned many (most?) observers by introducing Steve Addazio as its next head football coach. It had previously been reported that former Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer was aiding the university in a search that ultimately ended up with Addazio, who was on Meyer’s coaching staff at Florida for all five seasons in Gainesville.

In answering criticisms of what some have described as Meyer’s overreaching role in the search, CSU athletic director Joe Parker told the Denver Post Thursday evening that the coach-turned-college football analyst “was advising; there was no way where he was trying to shape the decision for us.”

That assertion will certainly be put to the test as FootballScoop.com reported overnight that Addazio is expected to add Corey Dennis to his first CSU coaching staff, likely as quarterbacks coach. Dennis is a senior quality control analyst at Ohio State… and is Meyer’s son-in-law. The Post subsequently confirmed Dennis’ expected addition.

Additionally, FootballScoop.com reported that Louie Addazio will likely be named as the Rams’ offensive line coach. Addazio is a graduate assistant at Ohio State and is, as the surname suggests, the new CSU head coach’s son.

Last edited:

CSU is a team that I like to see do well. I don't care for this hire. For lack of a better terms, it seems uninspired. The guy just got fired from a middling program, and basically all of his recent coaching experience is on the East Coast.

I thought CSU would hire Alford. I think I would even have preferred Ed McCaffrey... but he'll be across I-25 instead.

McCaffrey would have high risk in terms of experience . . . but, his huge advantage would be that people love him here and he'd get a lot of runway/goodwill in trying to turn things around. Would get people excited and fill seats for sure to start. He needs some non-HS experience and UNC will be a good fit. If Addazio fails and McCaffrey wins--you could see a move across I-25 in a few years.

I agree with the "uninspired" thought. Just makes no sense on nearly any level. Maybe he'll surprise me . . . I HOPE he surprises me, because he's "our guy" right now. The administration will be in a rough spot fast if the guy they hired because of his experience doesn't make a pretty quick impact. They've sort of made their bed on that one. If you want to energize a fan base--don't pick a guy who just got fired for being essentially the same guy you just fired for the same reasons.

How do you spell nepotism again? nepOtiSUm... Lol

I know, right?

They better deliver or the seat will be hot early. Kind of doubling or tripling down on reasons to not like the hire going in. Really puzzling stuff by the administration up there. You could have gotten a coach from any number of places where the fanbase would be pretty excited going in and be patient with a rebuild. Instead, they pick what would seem to be a poor fit based on Meyer's foot on the scale and then he brings in the family members?

There really isn't going to be a honeymoon period for these guys . . . I hope they realize that. Every time this guy trots out a .500 (or worse) season, the natives will be restless because it's playing out just like they would have expected based on past performance. Bobo could deliver .500 ish and that's why you fired him.

Last edited:
So with Bobo not coaching, will he go back to squach’n?

Last edited:

I think he will be successful in Ft. Collins, not sure why but I see bowl games in the Rams future.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back