• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

College Football's 10 Most Dangerous Teams to Watch in 2023

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member

Two Big Ten teams made the list. One, Penn State, I wouldn't mind seeing rock the boat of the Ohio State-Michigan stranglehold.

By the way, I would have had Kansas in my top 10 most dangerous. The Jayhawks return 85% of their 2022 production -- which ranks #2 nationally. 91% of their offense returns (including Jalon Daniels at QB). I personally think it'll come down to Kansas and Texas for the Big 12 title this coming season.

Two Big Ten teams made the list. One, Penn State, I wouldn't mind seeing rock the boat of the Ohio State-Michigan stranglehold.

By the way, I would have had Kansas in my top 10 most dangerous. The Jayhawks return 85% of their 2022 production -- which ranks #2 nationally. 91% of their offense returns (including Jalon Daniels at QB). I personally think it'll come down to Kansas and Texas for the Big 12 title this coming season.

Agree on Penn State, but his pick of Wisconsin as the #4 most dangerous team seems like a flyer on Fickel. I'd be very surprised if they're a top twenty team and a lot less surprised if they're down this year.

I watched a couple of Kansas' games last year and I think they're still a few recruiting cycles worth of talent and depth away from being legit contenders. They did have a good year last year and as you mentioned look like they should be able to repeat with their returning production, but on the other side of the ball they're thin. Lost four starters on the D line. That isn't a deep group to start with and their roster isn't built to absorb that kind of loss just yet. They'll likely lose a few more gams in video game fashion in the Big 12 this fall. I do like Leipold and think he can get them to Glen Mason type of success, but I don't see it this year. They will be fun to watch though.

Absolutely, positively without a doubt disagree with Wisconsin.

Look at the comparables to NU:
  1. New head coach
  2. Total new coaching staff ... didn't even retain Leonard, a player favorite
  3. New schemes - offensively and defensively
  4. New QB
  5. They return less starters than NU
  6. They are not even recruiting their state very well - top two recruits committed to PSU
Fickel, long term, may generate a good team and go beyond Chryst level But it ain't happening this year!

Last edited:

1. New head coach
  4. New QB
  6. They are not even recruiting their state very well - top two recruits committed to PSU
Fickel, long term, may generate a good team and go beyond -led level But it ain't happening this year!

Agree on Penn State, but his pick of Wisconsin as the #4 most dangerous team seems like a flyer on Fickel. I'd be very surprised if they're a top twenty team and a lot less surprised if they're down this year.

I watched a couple of Kansas' games last year and I think they're still a few recruiting cycles worth of talent and depth away from being legit contenders. They did have a good year last year and as you mentioned look like they should be able to repeat with their returning production, but on the other side of the ball they're thin. Lost four starters on the D line. That isn't a deep group to start with and their roster isn't built to absorb that kind of loss just yet. They'll likely lose a few more gams in video game fashion in the Big 12 this fall. I do like Leipold and think he can get them to Glen Mason type of success, but I don't see it this year. They will be fun to watch though.
I do agree that Wisconsin is probably not worthy of #4 most dangerous.

However, according to the link, they return one more starter than Nebraska (though the article is six weeks old; unsure what has transpired since for the Badgers).

This article, from April 23, shows Wisconsin and Nebraska with above-average percentages of returning production:

Big Ten Rankings​

1. Michigan: 81%
  2. Rutgers: 73%
  3. Wisconsin: 72%
  4. Nebraska: 69%
  5. Indiana: 69%
  6. Michigan State: 68%
  7. Ohio State: 67%
  8. Penn State: 65%
  9. Purdue: 65%
  10. Maryland: 64%
  11. Illinois: 63%
  12. Minnesota: 58%
  13. Iowa: 57%
  14. Northwestern: 56%

Anyhow, I put Wisconsin in the same level as Nebraska. Lots of new, lots of unknowns, both coming off subpar seasons. On the plus side, both Nebraska and Wisconsin are not with bare cupboards -- and I wouldn't discount either team surprising -- but -- not top 10 most dangerous at this point.

I do agree that Wisconsin is probably not worthy of #4 most dangerous.

However, according to the link, they return one more starter than Nebraska (though the article is six weeks old; unsure what has transpired since for the Badgers).

This article, from April 23, shows Wisconsin and Nebraska with above-average percentages of returning production:

Big Ten Rankings​

1. Michigan: 81%
  2. Rutgers: 73%
  3. Wisconsin: 72%
  4. Nebraska: 69%
  5. Indiana: 69%
  6. Michigan State: 68%
  7. Ohio State: 67%
  8. Penn State: 65%
  9. Purdue: 65%
  10. Maryland: 64%
  11. Illinois: 63%
  12. Minnesota: 58%
  13. Iowa: 57%
  14. Northwestern: 56%

Anyhow, I put Wisconsin in the same level as Nebraska. Lots of new, lots of unknowns, both coming off subpar seasons. On the plus side, both Nebraska and Wisconsin are not with bare cupboards -- and I wouldn't discount either team surprising -- but -- not top 10 most dangerous at this point.

Its the Fickle effect. If Rhule jumps right from Baylor and comes to Nebraska they would have a much better view of him. People have short memories. They remember Fickle going to the playoffs. They remember Rhule as a failed NFL coach.

I'm also always very interested in what they define as a returning starter. I would consider Teddy P a returning starter, but they probably don't. The new center Scott is probably not considered a returning starter even though he was a starter at ASU. Being a starter IMO is not nearly as important as having playing time.

1. New head coach
  4. New QB
Fickel, long term, may generate a good team and go beyond -led level But it ain't happening this year!
One other comparable from On3:
Wisconsin #1 in B1G for improvement from transfers in versus out. Including four 4 stars in and none out. Nebraska was # 9 in the B1G. We need to do the portal better.

One other comparable from On3:
Wisconsin #1 in B1G for improvement from transfers in versus out. Including four 4 stars in and none out. Nebraska was # 9 in the B1G. We need to do the portal better.
But even that is not without some context … 14 transfers in … 3 are QBs (Tanner Mordecai (SMU), Nick Evers, (OU), and Brayden Locke (Miss St). Last I knew only one can play.

UW significantly improved their WR room but still have holes elsewhere especially on defense.

Having alot of returning starters from a 8+ win team is a usually a pretty good thing and can mean a special season is upcoming.
Having a bunch of returning starters from a team that hasn't even sniffed a winning season since any of them walked on campus is harder to hang your hat on.

Wouldn't it be fun to see KU v. KSU in the title game.

They won’t be a surprise in 2023. They could struggle to duplicate what they did last year, which didn’t end well. They’d better play better defense, because they couldn’t stop anyone really. Still better than Kansas of a few years ago though.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back