• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

College Football Realignment Ideas

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
With all this madness swirling, there are a ton of opinions out there about Nebraska bolting to the Big XII, SEC or any of another hundred ideas. I thought I'd create a thread for people to post their realignment ideas and/or concepts.

I think it would be hilarious if Ohio State also gets frustrated with the Big Ten and the Big XII provides a soft landing spot. Can you imagine if the ten-team Big XII managed to lure Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State along with NU? It's probably not happening, but if the Big XII wanted to make a massive dent in the college football landscape, they'd make a super sweetheart deal to NU, OSU, UM and PSU, which would effectively cut off BTN at the shins. The sheer inventory of games coupled with the inclusion of UT and OU would probably trump the SEC for TV rights. Let's face it, nobody really wants to watch a bunch of Northwestern-Maryland games.

The divisions would get a little wonky, because if you did either East/West or North/South you'd be lumping the B1G schools into one division and then OU-UT into another. Maybe just go with a division-less schedule and each team gets something like 3-4 annual games, which would allow a team like Oklahoma to play Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma State (and maybe Kansas?) on an annual basis.

I keep hearing OSU, Michigan, Penn State mentioned as teams looking to play, but I don't see them playing without their presidents' blessings. If their presidents wanted to play, we'd be having a season in the Big 10.

yeah the big ten is not playing this fall and i think we all pretty much know nothing will be different in the spring so i don't see anything happening then either. I really think the Big shut it down Way to early, give it a chance, like DR. Rob Z. said the risk of playing in the spring won't be any less then playing this fall. I HATE the big 10, i want NU out of there so bad, never cared about Purdue, or Minney, or northwestern, but after shutting it down so early and now NU taking heat for speaking out, Screw the Big ten. Green, Moos, Scott please get NU out of this gawd awful confrence, NU doesn't belong there. Join any conference but the big 10 or the pac12. I know i know money money money

It would be really wild if we joined the SEC. Just think about that for a minute. :O O:

We are being played and it's epic. Gonna be interesting to see how the money was really stole, and just who stole it.

Another idea:
  1. The SEC, ACC and Big XII all want to play. That's 38 teams.
  2. Assume Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State all want to play as well. Up to 42.
  3. Add Notre Dame (of course) and BYU has also expressed some interest. 44 teams.
  4. Toss in Wisconsin because they've been nationally relevant over the last ~10 years. 45 teams.
  5. Pac-12 has been silent, so they can go suck eggs.

3 Conferences x 15 Teams. No divisions. Teams play 9 games in conference and 4 games OOC, allowing for traditional rivalries to persist.

Western ConferenceNorthern ConferenceSouthern Conference
ArkansasBoston CollegeAlabama
BaylorKentuckyAuburn
BYULouisvilleClemson
Iowa StateMichiganDuke
KansasNotre DameFlorida
Kansas StateOhio StateFlorida State
LSUPenn StateGeorgia
MissouriPittGeorgia Tech
NebraskaSyracuseMiami
OklahomaTennesseeMiss. State
Oklahoma StateVanderbiltNC State
TCUVirginiaNorth Carolina
TexasVirginia TechOle Miss
Texas A&MWest VirginiaSouth Carolina
Texas TechWisconsinWake Forest

Here's my idea I came up with a couple years ago.

• Get conferences back to more regional basis and restore rivalries that have gone by the wayside like NU-OU, UT-A&M, Pitt-WV, etc.
  • SEC, B1G, and PAC revert back to their original 10 members. New NEC and MWC are created. SWC is reborn with addition of Utah, BYU, UCF and USF (think travel partners). ND can still be independent.
  • Have P7 conferences, 10 teams in each conference, play 9 conf games and 3 non-con games. At least 1 of the non-con games has to be against another P7 team.
  • Eliminate P7 conf champ games, they are no longer needed since all teams will play every team in their conference.
  • G5 conferences can still have up to 12 teams with divisions and conf champ games
  • Have a 12-team playoff with byes for the top 4 in the final poll. P7 champs have auto-qualifiers and 5 at-large spots, either P7 or G5.

1597414785766.png

1597414800664.png

• Get conferences back to more regional basis and restore rivalries that have gone by the wayside like NU-OU, UT-A&M, Pitt-WV, etc.
  • SEC, B1G, and PAC revert back to their original 10 members. New NEC and MWC are created. SWC is reborn with addition of Utah, BYU, UCF and USF (think travel partners). ND can still be independent.
  • Have P7 conferences, 10 teams in each conference, play 9 conf games and 3 non-con games. At least 1 of the non-con games has to be against another P7 team.
  • Eliminate P7 conf champ games, they are no longer needed since all teams will play every team in their conference.
  • G5 conferences can still have up to 12 teams with divisions and conf champ games
  • Have a 12-team playoff with byes for the top 4 in the final poll. P7 champs have auto-qualifiers and 5 at-large spots, either P7 or G5.

View attachment 49066
View attachment 49067
This is a great idea. This is why college football needs a commissioner. Right now it is a gigantic CF with 3 of 5 Power 5 playing this fall. Nebraska does not fit in the BIG 10 with Iowa being 300 miles away.

This is a great idea. This is why college football needs a commissioner. Right now it is a gigantic CF with 3 of 5 Power 5 playing this fall. Nebraska does not fit in the BIG 10 with Iowa being 300 miles away.

None of the P5 conferences want to give up that individual conference power to a commissioner though. The commissioner could do something dumb like cancel the season on them, and tell them there is nothing they can do about it.

yeah the big ten is not playing this fall and i think we all pretty much know nothing will be different in the spring so i don't see anything happening then either. I really think the Big shut it down Way to early, give it a chance, like DR. Rob Z. said the risk of playing in the spring won't be any less then playing this fall. I HATE the big 10, i want NU out of there so bad, never cared about Purdue, or Minney, or northwestern, but after shutting it down so early and now NU taking heat for speaking out, Screw the Big ten. Green, Moos, Scott please get NU out of this gawd awful confrence, NU doesn't belong there. Join any conference but the big 10 or the pac12. I know i know money money money
Not the Big 12. Texas still dictates the show.

View attachment 49066
View attachment 49067
3TuQYpE.png

View attachment 49066
View attachment 49067

So, much like it used to be 25 years ago, but the NEC... which PSU would be the winner of every year.
SW conference is a mess with the last 4 teams and I believe BYU is an independent.

From a purely football point of view, without the TV contracts/conference money, that would be going back to the good old days. For those of us who have followed college football that long, that would be nice.

I miss New Year's day being a bowlathon, for sure!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back