• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

College Football Playoffs to stay at four teams

Scrap the entire Playoffs. Go back to old (but enhanced) bowl season with the top 6-8 bowls around New years time. Put together the best match-ups. Let em play. After the bowl season pick the top 2 teams based on all the typical stuff people want to rate them on, Strength of schedule, Conf champions, how they finished the season, how played in the bowl games (keeping them relevant) etc....
Give them a bye week so folks can set up travel etc.. One final game to choose the true National Champion in Mid Jan. Have the game on a Saturday night so the entire country and economy can benefit. (Bars, Vendors, My SLEEP!)

Last edited:

Personally I don't believe the present structure is as broken as people want to think. Its done exactly what it was intended to do every year. Was their controversy? Yes. There will be controversy in any structure that is put in place. For those that think knowing exactly what you need to do to qualify....as in winning your conference.....won't be controversial you are kidding yourself. Winning the SEC or B1G is much tougher than winning the Pac.
The PAC is probably at it's worst right now. The ACC right now is pretty down too, except for one team that is #1. But time changes things pretty quickly. Clemson was just a decent top 20 team about 10 years ago. USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon have all been considered to be pretty good teams in the last 10-20 years, so I don't discount them getting more competitive. I think the more teams in a playoff raises all P5 Conferences too, as it makes it more likely that HS players see opportunities of playing in the CFP more available, no matter which conference they play in. With the plethora of Southern universities being popular among HS athletes though, it certainly makes it more likely that the Midwest, NE, and NW universities of the country will be less likely to get into a CFP of only 4 teams.

I apologize for making it personal. I know a few who feel similar to you and one guy not on this board really rubs me wrong so I was taking it out on you. You are right that there are many different plans out there and it makes it hard to gain concensus. However most people agree a move to a basic 8 team model is the best next step. I think there are far more of them than there are guys supporting the current 4 team model.
I really have no problem with going to 8. I would probably vote for that plan over the 4 team plan as long as it doesn't include automatic qualifiers for halve the conferences and not the other half.

Last edited:
Yeah for sure, the conference realignment is a whole other beast. If you expand to 8 teams with 5 conference champs and 3 at-large bids as some have suggested, there will be just as much drama around who those 3 teams are as there is with the current 4 teams.

The main weakness I see of a straight 4 conference champ playoff model is if a weak division (i.e. BIG West) pulls off an upset – you could have a 4-loss team in the Championship. The current model actually prevents that.

I think there will be drama when one of conference champs that gets in automatically has 3 losses or more and wasn't recognized as being a top 10 team. Especially by a top 8 team that maybe had 1 or two losses and didn't get in. This year it would have been number 10 Washington in place of number 8 UCF.

1. Expand to 8 teams.
  2. Give an automatic bid to the winner of any conference with 18 or more FBS teams.
  3. Every conference member is required to play at least 8 conference games.
  4. Every FBS team is required to play 11 regular season games with an optional conference game to be decided by each conference, and nobody plays FCS teams anymore.
  5. Let conferences decide how to choose their champion, and that also means allowing every conference team to play a 12th game on CCG weekend, which should be Thanksgiving week.
If you haven't figured out where this is headed and why, there are presently 129 FBS teams, so there could only be 7 conferences with 18 or more teams. Why 18 teams? Because each conference can have 2 divisions with 9 teams each, and each side would play everyone. Getting rid of the FCS games forces the SEC and the ACC to at least play FBS teams. Conferences can have a full schedule of games on championship weekend, so everyone plays 12 games, whether in the CCG or not, which removes that as an advantage/disadvantage. Also, Notre Dame will have to put on its big boy pants and either join a conference or hope to win the beauty contest. Although there would officially be 8 teams in the playoff, the CCG would serve as a play-in game, so there would really be 14 teams with a shot at making the playoff on CCG weekend, plus whoever is the wildcard. We don't need to force any conferences to add teams or dissolve or whatever because the incentives will already be there to create some super-conferences and ditch the fluff. If the Group-of-5 can mix and match and merge, God bless 'em! Make a couple super-conferences, and if you don't get an invite, you should maybe consider FCS. Within two years the B1G, SEC, and ACC would be at 18 teams, and the PAC would be scrambling to do the same. The Big 12 would be kaput. The AAC, MAC, and Conference-USA would race to 18, and everybody else would fall by the wayside. Within a few years there would be 6 automatic invites to the 6 champs, and 2 wildcards, then 7 automatics and a wildcard. The rest of the teams would either have to figure out how to make some sort of scrambled up super-conference of 18 teams by bringing up more FCS teams to FBS, but they'd be just as likely to drop down to FCS. Having Notre Dame NOT win the beauty contest would be a feature, not a bug.

Everybody gets the first weekend in December off to "study for finals." Academics are important, you know. The second weekend in December would be the first round of the playoffs. The top seeds could host, or we could use 4 traditional bowl games. Either one works. The two winners play on New Year's Day, and the other teams can still play some bowl games, if they want, whenever. Same as now, the championship would be the Monday that's at least 7 days later.

The key to the possibility of all of this is happening would be completely cutting out the NCAA, allowing the SEC, B1G, and ACC to bully some other conferences around, and empowering the ADs after that as much as possible. Let every FBS AD have a vote on who fills out the field of 8. If every AD gets a vote, Notre Dame's AD is no longer our special snowflake with his own seat at the big boys' table with the conference presidents.

The polls and the playoff committee can go play with themselves. The conferences and bowls would still be intact, and the money would flow. The real sources of power--money from TV contracts, and the P-5 conferences--would still hold power, but they could do it in a way that benefits themselves without at least appearing to be stepping on everybody else. The two big hurdles are the existence of the Big 12 and Notre Dame's pampered status. Throw enough money at Texas and Oklahoma and let them pick where they want to land, and the Big 12 no longer matters. Notre Dame? Let them get their tails whipped in a couple more playoff games that they don't deserve to be in, and the other ADs and the P-5 conferences will quickly tire of it.

Last edited:
They will never design conferences around a playoff system. The playoffs are not that important.

1. Expand to 8 teams.
  2. Give an automatic bid to the winner of any conference with 18 or more FCS teams.
  3. Every conference member is required to play 8 conference games.
  4. Every FCS teams is required to play 11 regular season games with an optional conference game to be decided by each conference.
  5. Let conferences decide how to choose their champion, and that also means allowing every conference team to play a 12th game on CCG weekend, which should be Thanksgiving week.
If you haven't figured out where this is headed and why, there are presently 125 FCS teams, so there could only be 7 conferences with 18 or more teams. Why 18 teams? Because each conference can have 2 divisions with 9 teams each, and each side would play everyone. Getting rid of the FBS games forces the SEC and the ACC to at least play FCS teams. Conferences can have a full schedule of games on championship weekend, so everyone plays 12 games, whether in the CCG or not, which removes that as an advantage/disadvantage. Also, Notre Dame will have to put on its big boy pants and either join a conference or hope to win the beauty contest. Although there would officially be 8 teams in the playoff, the CCG would serve as a play-in game, so there would really be 14 teams with a shot at making the playoff on CCG weekend, plus whoever is the wildcard. We don't need to force any conferences to add teams or dissolve or whatever because the incentives will already be there to create some super-conferences and ditch the fluff. If the P-5 can mix and match and merge, God bless 'em! Make a couple super-conferences, and if you don't get an invite, you should maybe consider FBS. Within two years the B1G, SEC, and ACC would be at 18 teams, and the PAC would be scrambling to do the same. The Big 12 would be kaput. The AAC and Conference-USA would race to 18, and the rest would fall by the wayside. Within a few years there would be 6 automatic invites to the 6 champs, and 2 wildcards. The rest of the teams would either have to figure out how to make some sort of scrambled up super-conference of 18 teams, but they'd be just as likely to drop down to FCS.

Everybody gets the first weekend in December off to "study for finals." Academics are important, you know. The second weekend in December would be the first round of the playoffs. The top seeds could host, or we could use 4 traditional bowl games. Either one works. The two winners play on New Year's Day, and the other teams can still play some bowl games, if they want, whenever. Same as now, the championship would be the Monday that's at least 7 days later. Let every FCS AD have a vote on who fills out the field of 8. The polls and the playoff committee can go play with themselves. The conferences and bowls would still be intact, and the money would flow.

I think you reversed FCS and FBS.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back