• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

College Football Playoffs to stay at four teams

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
From the press release today 1/7/19.

STATEMENT BY PRESIDENT MARK KEENUM, CHAIRMAN OF THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF BOARD OF MANAGERS

SAN JOSE, Calif. – We have concluded our annual meeting of the College Football Playoff Board of Managers. As we do every year, we meet alongside the commissioners, and Notre Dame’s Athletics Director, to review the ongoing operations of the Playoff, now entering its sixth year.

It is our unanimous agreement that the Playoff has been a tremendous success for students, fans, and universities. We are very proud of it. Fans love to watch it and we look forward to its continued success.

When it comes to the Playoff, as part of our normal review, we always look at everything and we will do so again.

Our job as university presidents is to listen to a variety of views, as we do every day back on campus, and every year when we consider how best to run the CFP. Academics, student-athlete well-being, existing contractual agreements and the overall good of the game are just a few of the issues we consider. At all times, we want our students who play sports to be successful in college and in life.

As far as expanding the number of teams in the Playoff, it’s way too soon – much too soon – to know if that is even a possibility. It’s fair to say the speculation about expansion has outdistanced the reality of what the commissioners and the presidents have discussed. If a decision were to be made down the road, the Presidents would be the ones to make it and we are not there.

At some point down the road, as part of our regular review of all matters pertaining to the Playoff, the management committee will meet, and it will consider all aspects of the Playoff, as it routinely does. When that discussion happens, I advise observers not to read too much into it. We have a twelve-year contract we are very happy with. It is always appropriate to ask the right questions and to examine every issue to be sure we have things right. We are very satisfied with the Playoff and look forward to its continued success.

Watch social media blow up tonight during the national championship game on this statement ... hope that is not more entertaining than Alabama and Clemson.

Was that truly written by a University President? Such gibberish. No wonder the CFP is a joke.

Why take away two good bowl games just to replace them with Clemson and Alabama beating the living crap out of two other teams in an 8 man playoff. I can't say that I totally disagree with the fans that want to go to 8 but at the same time I think too much of it is on emotion. I really can't think of any rational reason to move it to 8 if the purpose is to find a National Champion from the top teams. They have pretty much nailed it every year. Sucks that is mostly the same two teams but that's not the playoff issue.

Why take away two good bowl games just to replace them with Clemson and Alabama beating the living crap out of two other teams in an 8 man playoff. I can't say that I totally disagree with the fans that want to go to 8 but at the same time I think too much of it is on emotion. I really can't think of any rational reason to move it to 8 if the purpose is to find a National Champion from the top teams. They have pretty much nailed it every year. Sucks that is mostly the same two teams but that's not the playoff issue.

Bama and Clemson won't be on top forever. It just feels that way.

Where are the NCAA investigations and Pro teams sniffing around to break up these dynastys?

Bama and Clemson won't be on top forever. It just feels that way.

Where are the NCAA investigations and Pro teams sniffing around to break up these dynastys?
You would hope not. I tell you though as much as I want to believe SF can get us back its a tough climb in regards to talent and recruiting. Alabama has taken 28 recruits this year. (3) 5 star, (24) 4 star and (1) 3 star. They are averaging over 4 stars per player and almost a full star more than Nebraska. The rich just keep getting richer. I guess what we have to hope for is that Alabama can only play 22 at a time. We have to somehow get our 22 to be as good as theirs.

You would hope not. I tell you though as much as I want to believe SF can get us back its a tough climb in regards to talent and recruiting. Alabama has taken 28 recruits this year. (3) 5 star, (24) 4 star and (1) 3 star. They are averaging over 4 stars per player and almost a full star more than Nebraska. The rich just keep getting richer. I guess what we have to hope for is that Alabama can only play 22 at a time. We have to somehow get our 22 to be as good as theirs.

Sabin WILL retire, at some point. Maybe after this NC win. Go out on top.

Swinney is his logical replacement. Clemson should stop at nothing to keep Swinney.

Dynastys used to come a go more often, usually with the graduation of an excellent QB. Or NCAA would come down on the program. Or NFL would pluck the great NCAA HC to their ranks. It's amazing at how well Sabin has been able to keep the ball rolling through multiple QB's, players, and coordinators.

It's amazing at how well Sabin has been able to keep the ball rolling through multiple QB's, players, and coordinators.

That is the biggest thing for me. Saban is
nowhere near a top 10 gameday coach imo. The quoted above is however, truly amazing
as he is without question the best manager of the system and program.

He knows something(s) that others clearly can’t replicate at the moment. And things that 99% of others can’t even realistically dream about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back