• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked College Football Countdown: No. 46 Southern Miss (Opponent #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
The continuing countdown to #1 by the Orlando Sentinel.....

Strengths: While Southern Miss lost some key players, the Golden Eagles still return an athletic rotation of playmakers who contributed heavily to the 2011 championship season. Senior athlete Tracey Lampley needs 31 rushing, 122 receiving and 184 punt return yards to become the first Southern Miss player to reach 1,000 yards in all four categories. Lampley has posted 1,089 kickoff return yards in his career.

Weaknesses: Chris Campbell is the frontrunner for the starting quarterback job, but he’s still competing with Ricky Lloyd and Arsenio Favor for the position. As a result, Southern Miss lacks a clear leader to run the offense during offseason workouts. The team is going through a major shift in football style. Fedora ran a wide open attack that led to spectacular plays and epic mistakes on both sides of the ball. Ellis prefers a more traditional, hard-nosed attack

The Golden Eagles return talented athletes and should post its 19th consecutive winning season

Much more here:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...e-football-countdown-no-46-southern-miss.html

I know the secondary, and defense as a whole, was lacking last year. That said, I would hate to bring a team against Bo Pelini with a quarterback who is still cutting teeth.

"Senior athlete Tracey Lampley needs 31 rushing, 122 receiving and 184 punt return yards to become the first Southern Miss player to reach 1,000 yards in all four categories."

Did I miss something in school? Like counting?

Hard to know what to expect in this game. Pelini has never had to play anything but a horrible opponent to start the year. Is Southern Miss horrible or just lousy? I am guessing here, but think this game might be pretty close...closer than folks expect.

Maybe, maybe not.

2009-ISU
2010-Texas
2011-Washington, Ohio State

2009 Iowa State -Tiller had playing time time in three games prior to Nebraska, and it was the eighth game for the team as a whole. For Southern Miss, it will be their first game of the season. Even in comparable situations, Iowa State's quarterback, Tiller, didn't exactly kill us: He had 167 yards of total offense. It was the eight turnovers that really cost Nebraska.

2010 Texas
- Gilbert was Texas' starter for five games before the Nebraska matchup, including #8 Oklahoma. Again, I'm not sure it's terribly comparable to this coming situation where Southern Miss will be starting from scratch.

2011 Washington - Nebraska held Price to his third lowest completion percentage of 2011 at 56.8%. He did manage four touchdowns, but also gave up two interceptions. In addition, two of his touchdown passes came in the fourth quarter.

2011 Ohio State -This is one I'll give you. Braxton Miller was a pair in our butt until he left.

Check out this bit from Corn Nation: Previewing the 2012 Southern Miss Golden Eagles - Corn Nation
Offensive coordinator Rickey Bustle (you may remember him as the opposing coach for the 300th consecutive sellout game against Louisiana-Lafayette in 2009) will move away from a pass-happy offense to utilize the running game more.
star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
Not that this should be any surprise with the departure of four-year starting quarterback Austin Davis. Even without a coaching change, you had to expect the offense to shift away from pass-first with an unsettled quarterback situation. If you have to pick a starting quarterback today, chances are it would be 6'4" junior Chris Campbell, who has yet to throw a pass in his college career. Yeah. Second on the post-spring depth chart is probably 6'3" redshirt freshman Ricky Lloyd. Last year's backup, sophomore Arsenio Favor completed one of three passes for eight yards in 2011. And if nobody makes a move in preseason practice, the Eagles just might turn to four-star incoming freshman Anthony Alford.

2009 Iowa State -Tiller had playing time time in three games prior to Nebraska, and it was the eighth game for the team as a whole. For Southern Miss, it will be their first game of the season. Even in comparable situations, Iowa State's quarterback, Tiller, didn't exactly kill us: He had 167 yards of total offense. It was the eight turnovers that really cost Nebraska.

2010 Texas
- Gilbert was Texas' starter for five games before the Nebraska matchup, including #8 Oklahoma. Again, I'm not sure it's terribly comparable to this coming situation where Southern Miss will be starting from scratch.

2011 Washington - Nebraska held Price to his third lowest completion percentage of 2011 at 56.8%. He did manage four touchdowns, but also gave up two interceptions. In addition, two of his touchdown passes came in the fourth quarter.

2011 Ohio State -This is one I'll give you. Braxton Miller was a pair in our butt until he left.

Check out this bit from Corn Nation: Previewing the 2012 Southern Miss Golden Eagles - Corn Nation

Well, I guess it's a bit of interpretation of your "cutting teeth" comment. I consider a QB as cutting their teeth throughout their entire first year of starting. Judging from your comments, evidently you consider the minimal experience that some of these QB's had as more than enough to consider them seasoned. OK, that's your opinion...mine is different.

PS--all four of these QB's made our defense look bad, some much worse than others but they all made big plays, some game changers.

Last edited:

S. Mississippi is always a tough game, but with that being said they are going to a new offense with a new QB and a new head coach/staff on the road in front of 85,000 folks...that is not a recipe for success...I expect us to win this comfertable...not a blowout by any means but it will not be close or a nail biter.....

I'll bet if one would take the time to go back and search, one would find that someone made this exact statement prior to every previous season! :Biggrin:

Probably so...but this year we don't start with the two patsies. They happen after the 1st two games which will be challenging enough. The early line has us -15 over So Miss and -8 over UCLA in Pasadena. The point spread for our 1st two games is usually in the -20s or -30s. This year is different.

Probably fair lines in both cases....and the UCLA game is on the road so be favored by 8 is not bad at all....

Probably so...but this year we don't start with the two patsies. They happen after the 1st two games which will be challenging enough. The early line has us -15 over So Miss and -8 over UCLA in Pasadena. The point spread for our 1st two games is usually in the -20s or -30s. This year is different.

Hard to know what to expect in this game. Pelini has never had to play anything but a horrible opponent to start the year. Is Southern Miss horrible or just lousy? I am guessing here, but think this game might be pretty close...closer than folks expect.

I was in Memorial the LAST time we played Southern Miss at home. It was not a pretty sight.

I think with a new coach, new offense and new QB its not a recipe for sucess this time around in Lincoln....just my two cents worth....and Bower was a heckuva coach as we both know....

I was in Memorial the LAST time we played Southern Miss at home. It was not a pretty sight.

2010 Texas

Didn't Fresno State come in with a young "green" QB and push the Huskers until the end? I seem to recall NU needing a kickoff return to help win that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back