• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

College Cup (Soccer)

bilsker

Tom Osborne
15 Year Member
Creighton plays Charlotte in the "final 4" of the NCAA soccer tourney today at 5 on ESPNU.

Interesting story line...CU's coach was the head coach at North Carolina for over 22 years up until this year. Won a national title there a few years back. UNC is in the other game tonight. Would be an interesting final game if CU and UNC make it.

On my way to the NU-CU bball game last sunday I decided to drive by Morrison Stadium to see if I could catch the final score on the scoreboard before heading to the bball game. Turns out it was in OT at the time. Was able to walk right in (guess the ticket takers had frozen their butts off enough for one day) in time to catch the game winning goal. I had driven by the stadium hundreds of times but that was my first time inside. about 2500 people there for a game that was played with temps in the 20s! Don't follow college soccer much but there can't be too many programs with a nicer soccer-only facility.

http://www.gocreighton.tv/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=89397&SPID=2518&DB_OEM_ID=1000&PALBID=12744

I'll be watching. Got a brother who's redshirting on CU's team.

Morrison is a great stadium. The roof hanging over the stands helps to keep the noise in. I was at their Sweet 16 game against UCSB, and it got pretty loud at times. Definately a good atmosphere when full.

Creighton plays Charlotte in the "final 4" of the NCAA soccer tourney today at 5 on ESPNU.

Interesting story line...CU's coach was the head coach at North Carolina for over 22 years up until this year. Won a national title there a few years back. UNC is in the other game tonight. Would be an interesting final game if CU and UNC make it.

On my way to the NU-CU bball game last sunday I decided to drive by Morrison Stadium to see if I could catch the final score on the scoreboard before heading to the bball game. Turns out it was in OT at the time. Was able to walk right in (guess the ticket takers had frozen their butts off enough for one day) in time to catch the game winning goal. I had driven by the stadium hundreds of times but that was my first time inside. about 2500 people there for a game that was played with temps in the 20s! Don't follow college soccer much but there can't be too many programs with a nicer soccer-only facility.

http://www.gocreighton.tv/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=89397&SPID=2518&DB_OEM_ID=1000&PALBID=12744

You're right, Creighton does have one of the nicer facilities in the country......They averaged over 3000 people a game this year, which put them about 7th in the country (UCSB averaged over 5k a game this year, helped by 2 games with over 13k people in attendance :eek:)

They also have one of the best home field advantages in soccer since opening Morrison Stadium in 1993, something like 73-13-12 (19-2-1 against top 25 teams!), including 14-0 there this year.....

CU's coach was on local radio today...I guess S. Florida's coaches were lobbying hard to have last week's game moved to KC after the snow storm. I guess it was worth a try!

CU with a couple great chances. nice play by a defender to block a sure goal then a ball from another defender off the cross bar. Charlotte not doing much offensively...not surprisingly as CU has given up 5 goals all year.

That stunk. But once you get into PK's it truely is anyone's game. Creighton was the better team, and played the better game, but the better team doesn't always win. No shame in a College Cup showing though.

Choke freakin city.....

I wouldn't call it a choke job necessarily. CU had most of the good scoring chances and they just didn't go their way. And like PCE said...shootouts are a crap shoot.

This game is a good example of why soccer will never really take off in this country. I grew up playing soccer and enjoy "big" events like the World Cup or the big international games...as well as games like last night if I have a reason to root for someone. But the idea of ending a game with penalty kicks is just entirely ridiculous. I understand the game, in theory, could go for hours if you didn't do it but so what? Then the better conditioned team has the advantage. Imagine ending the NCAA bball tourney with a free throw contest. Imagine ending the Super Bowl with a FG kicking contest. The masters with a putting contest...etc. It's deciding the outcome based on an aspect of the game that isn't representative of the rest of the game. Hockey has it right (at least the NHL...not sure about college). Go ahead and decide regular season games this way. But this is just a lazy, "let's get it over with" method. It's crap and it's a big problem with the game. I invested a couple hours watching a GAME and had to settle for seeing it decided on freakin penalty kicks? bleh

That said...even though I was rooting for CU...had they kept going with OT I think Charlotte would have ended up winning. They seemed to be stronger in the OT. CU possessed the ball more but Charlotte seemed to have the better scoring chances.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back