• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

Unfortunately, the 15 foot jumper is nearly obsolete in today's D1 game.

I think this is a little overstated, and if we look at college basketball, there are teams who are successful and attempt far fewer 3 pointers than the Huskers. If we played within ourselves, we would have much greater chance of success. In years we are finally loaded with great shooters, I’m all for letting it fly, but in years like this, 2 pointers should be our focus.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

Last edited:
I think this is a little overstated, and if we look at college basketball, there are teams who are successful and shoot far fewer 3 pointers than the Huskers. If we played within ourselves, we would have much greater chance of success. In years we are finally loaded with great shooters, I’m all for letting it fly, but in years like this, 2 pointers should be our focus.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game
sorry but our 2 point shooting is atrocious as well

So who assembled "two of the most talented, experienced teams in the entire history of NU basketball"? I'm not going to argue TM is a great game coach or even strategist as his teams wouldn't be so lost on offense with the talent he has if he were. BUT, he has assembled some good talent (for NU) and that is probably what makes it most frustrating. He is far, far ahead of Sadler and Collier because they didn't get above mediocre....ever. So those that point to his flaws should be specific in what those are...game day and game plan are not good.

However, as someone else said, it is the type of player TM has recruited....the 6-6 wing that can slash and play D and can't shoot a bit. He has never constructed a complete roster which complemented each other to make a team....lack of bigs to rebound and provide scoring inside. Lack of consistent outside shooting. Lack of a bench...basically TM is MR, a great guy but he can not build a roster to make a team great.

It was me that said the bolded and I agree with you 100%. When I say I would like someone that could consistently shoot the 3 I would also take a 15 footer. They don't shoot well, they have streaks of shooting well, but nothing sustained. I just want to see basketball players and not necessarily just athletes. It is the same thing in football. You can be a great athlete and not a great football player. You can be uber athletic and not be a great bball player. It is a skill sport. If you want to blame Miles for not teaching and developing the skills that is fine, but I don't think they are coming to Nebraska with as much bball skills as some teams get. Roby is a great talent, but there is a reason why he is playing at Nebraska and not Michigan St.

It was me that said the bolded and I agree with you 100%. When I say I would like someone that could consistently shoot the 3 I would also take a 15 footer. They don't shoot well, they have streaks of shooting well, but nothing sustained. I just want to see basketball players and not necessarily just athletes. It is the same thing in football. You can be a great athlete and not a great football player. You can be uber athletic and not be a great bball player. It is a skill sport. If you want to blame Miles for not teaching and developing the skills that is fine, but I don't think they are coming to Nebraska with as much bball skills as some teams get. Roby is a great talent, but there is a reason why he is playing at Nebraska and not Michigan St.
I think Roby is finally figuring out how to be a player - and I think it is because he's having to lead now. I don't think he's had a lot of good examples (maybe Evan Taylor, Tai Webster?) and he was so good in High School against lower competition that he didn't have to try as hard.

Maybe I'm an optimist - I think there are team players on this team. I just don't think they are the leaders. I still think Roby is going to turn a corner and continue to get better as a leader and player. I'm just not sure it's the players' fault they haven't gotten better, and I don't like the idea that they were never going to be team players because they didn't have the right background coming in. I would like to see the same walk-on buy-in from the Football team on the basketball court, but that doesn't translate directly.

Whoever coaches next year will be trying to get over the mess of this season. I wish them the best, but I don't envy them the amount of work it's going to take.

I’m sure he’s been mentioned, and tonight might not be a good night to do so, but I still like Randy Bennett from St. Mary’s. The thing is, I doubt he’d leave the west coast.

I think Roby is finally figuring out how to be a player - and I think it is because he's having to lead now. I don't think he's had a lot of good examples (maybe Evan Taylor, Tai Webster?) and he was so good in High School against lower competition that he didn't have to try as hard.

Maybe I'm an optimist - I think there are team players on this team. I just don't think they are the leaders. I still think Roby is going to turn a corner and continue to get better as a leader and player. I'm just not sure it's the players' fault they haven't gotten better, and I don't like the idea that they were never going to be team players because they didn't have the right background coming in. I would like to see the same walk-on buy-in from the Football team on the basketball court, but that doesn't translate directly.

Whoever coaches next year will be trying to get over the mess of this season. I wish them the best, but I don't envy them the amount of work it's going to take.

It will be a complete start over. I bet Roby leaves, just a guess. But he is a possible round 2 pick for potential. There wouldn't be much experience left on the roster.

It will be a complete start over. I bet Roby leaves, just a guess. But he is a possible round 2 pick for potential. There wouldn't be much experience left on the roster.
If Roby leaves, it won't be to play in the NBA. He would only play in a couple of the lower leagues in Europe. He is too frail and to tentative. He would be best suited to stay another year and add muscle and work on his shot.

If Roby leaves, it won't be to play in the NBA. He would only play in a couple of the lower leagues in Europe. He is too frail and to tentative. He would be best suited to stay another year and add muscle and work on his shot.

A smooth coaching transition might help us with retention and hanging onto recruits. I’m not overly concerned about players. A new coach will find some.

A smooth coaching transition might help us with retention and hanging onto recruits. I’m not overly concerned about players. A new coach will find some.

Any analysis or assessment of Roby's ability to play in the NBA after this season will not likely precede any coaching transition, assuming that does in fact occur. We can all guess whether he'd stay even if he doesn't make himself eligible for the draft, but leaving may not even be on his mind.

Really talented young man, exciting to watch, I do hope he is here for one more season.

Roby and Allen would be missed if they quit or transferred. The rest not so much. Don't think Roby would go anywhere except to NBA and I don't see his game at that level yet

Last edited:

I'm just basing it off of ESPN draft ranking from about 3 weeks ago during a different BIG 10 game where they had him ranked #34 on the draft board. They said mostly for his potential. If I were him, and that was true, I'd take my chances at a 2nd round draft selection.

I'm just basing it off of ESPN draft ranking from about 3 weeks ago during a different BIG 10 game where they had him ranked #34 on the draft board. They said mostly for his potential. If I were him, and that was true, I'd take my chances at a 2nd round draft selection.
Especially after watching JPJ and Copeland not live up to the senior years they thought they might have... I think Roby should stay for selfish reasons, but if he thinks he can truly get drafted into the NBA, he should do that. As far as him leaving as a transfer, he's got a RS year and I don't think he's going to graduate by the end of the summer. I have no idea what next year at UNL would do for him, but he might learn to become a leader which could help in other facets of his life.

Especially after watching JPJ and Copeland not live up to the senior years they thought they might have... I think Roby should stay for selfish reasons, but if he thinks he can truly get drafted into the NBA, he should do that. As far as him leaving as a transfer, he's got a RS year and I don't think he's going to graduate by the end of the summer. I have no idea what next year at UNL would do for him, but he might learn to become a leader which could help in other facets of his life.

A year with the some different pieces to to work with could do wonders for a guy like Roby who is still very raw and learning how to develop his game. This season was a tough one for him, and probably hurt his development. He was not in his element playing the 5, be it defensively or offensively. He really needs to learn to catch and shoot. No dribble, no rocker step, just catch, rise and shoot. Part of being able to do that is the work on the footwork and mechanics of catching and getting the ball into a shooting position. Part is knowing where to go, and when to go there in an offense, which means screens, ball movement and timing. The last part is having teammates who know where you will be, when you will be there, and are able to help you create the space you need to flash to the open spots. That will mean you don't have guys driving into your space, or bringing defenders to you, or being slow to pass because they are trying their own moves until the only see you as a desperation pass after your defender has caught up to cover you.

We see so many teams that are winning games and playing solid basketball using players with less talent. In our case, it's not the Jimmy's and Joe's as much as it's the X's and O's.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back