• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

When I think of better, I don’t limit it to the physical, because some of our guys do look physically better. The places you need to see the improvement, at least from a coaching perspective, is:

-in the system (fewer mistakes, better looks at the basket, better defensive position).

-from mechanics and fundamentals (improved shooting form, rebounding position, percentages, TO to Assist ratio, recognition of opponents offense and defense).

From this standpoint, I’m not seeing the improvement I would expect. Some schools are challenged in this as well, but players are usually only there a year or two. This should be an area we see notable improvement, but we don’t.
Agree that S&C wise, there are good differences in the players. I think that the longer they are in the Nebraska program, the worse their outside shot gets (but that might be me being bitter). I think that the players that are showing out right now, Thorbjarnarson and Borchardt have made real changes to their games. I think Thomas Allen was looking better in his second year until about a month ago intensity wise.

For Palmer and Watson, I don't know - Palmer came into the year expecting to be able to run over everyone on the way to the basket, and he learned the hard way with several offensive fouls right off. So he started shooting outside. Glynn has been streaky since he got to UNL, but he seems to be a bad confidence funk the last couple of games. Bad enough that I might tell him to change is game drastically or change his role for a game or two.

Anyways, I think that player development is kind of a tough thing to gauge. A lot of "development" is finding out who is willing to do what the coach says to get to play and who isn't. Since Nebraska doesn't have a lot of players on the roster, there's not a lot of consequence for doing your own thing. And that's college basketball in general with 13 scholarships.

Can we hire Norman Dale? Barry Collier was all that- same gym even, didn't work. Don Haskins? Doc Sadler is as close as one could get. All my Movie Trope coaches have already been addressed!

At work we had to do the Coach K vs Bobby Knight training. What I got out of that is which managers I would never want to work for. BUT NO CLOSER TO KNOWING WHO TO HIRE TO COACH THE FECKLESS HUSKERS.

Can we get a collection of former players to volunteer as coaches for a season? Pike, Strick, Lue, Belcher, Maric... who knows? It works for middle school club teams.

How about recent assistants? Chris Harriman, Craig Smith, Ben Johnson, Michael Lewis (I know I know). What's Gary Bargen doing these days? Heck, what's Jed Bargen doing?

Mid major up-and-coming coach? Every four years rinse, repeat.

Ever had the thought that Sisyphus was actually pushing a huge basketball with a red "N" on it?

Last edited:
Can we get a collection of former players to volunteer as coaches for a season? Pike, Strick, Lue, Belcher, Maric... who knows? It works for middle school club teams.

Well, we do resemble a middle school club team at times, so that might just work.

Ever had the thought that Sisyphus was actually pushing a huge basketball with a red "N" on it?

Not 'til now, but now that you mention it...........

For Palmer and Watson, I don't know - Palmer came into the year expecting to be able to run over everyone on the way to the basket, and he learned the hard way with several offensive fouls right off. So he started shooting outside. Glynn has been streaky since he got to UNL, but he seems to be a bad confidence funk the last couple of games.

Palmer's game was largely figured out last year by the B1G - he certainly found early season success that also enable the entire team to feed off his productivity, but conference play has been a grind for JPJ and the staff has not found enough answers to overcome some of the struggle. Take away the right hand, identify a player you can leave and shift to help on Palmer, you can force a questionable late shot clock.

Or just play zone defense, right?

Kind of reminiscent of other seasons. Think Petteway, for example ... somewhat of a different player than JPJ, but the dominant scorer on a team that otherwise struggled to fill up the basket.

I won't ever put stuff like this all on one player - or more than one, for that matter - because any coaching staff in a situation like Nebraska has found itself in is as culpable as the players, and likely more so. Intensity, focus and execution on the court is the player's responsibility; any one of those three things missing will create hardship on the floor. The coaches obviously have their part to play, and it is their overall performance that leaves me wanting a whole lot more.

7 years is long enough to establish a standard of excellence (or expectation) of reaching the NCAA Tournament more than a couple times.

Palmer's game was largely figured out last year by the B1G - he certainly found early season success that also enable the entire team to feed off his productivity, but conference play has been a grind for JPJ and the staff has not found enough answers to overcome some of the struggle. Take away the right hand, identify a player you can leave and shift to help on Palmer, you can force a questionable late shot clock.

Or just play zone defense, right?

Kind of reminiscent of other seasons. Think Petteway, for example ... somewhat of a different player than JPJ, but the dominant scorer on a team that otherwise struggled to fill up the basket.

I won't ever put stuff like this all on one player - or more than one, for that matter - because any coaching staff in a situation like Nebraska has found itself in is as culpable as the players, and likely more so. Intensity, focus and execution on the court is the player's responsibility; any one of those three things missing will create hardship on the floor. The coaches obviously have their part to play, and it is their overall performance that leaves me wanting a whole lot more.

7 years is long enough to establish a standard of excellence (or expectation) of reaching the NCAA Tournament more than a couple times.
I think the answer is put Palmer at point. Let Allen or Watson come off the bench, and let someone else start. What are you going to lose? Palmer makes passes when he's told to do it. Run plays through Roby or Borchardt, both are decent passers from the post. Also, why not play everyone for short periods. Costello used to be a really good shooter... something has to stick to the wall.

Agree, and again when Miles got the five stars to come visit us, they basically said as much to him. "I had a great visit and it was the best facilities i've seen, but you know i'm not coming here." I'm not trying to be defeated, but not sure what realistic expectations are. So I would prefer someone who has an offense that can be developed with mostly three stars and a few four stars.

On another note, i'm not on the Ty Lue train. But do we favor Hoiberg or Altman? Oregon is sliding mightily.

It can be done. Just off the top of my head teams like Kansas State to the Elite 8, South Carolina to the Final Four and others in recent years. THese are examples of teams in power conferences that probably have recruiting challenges, but have had some success. I know SC hasn't sustained it. But hey, a final four is a final four. I think they had a talented local kid that year. But maybe you have to look at what teams like that are able to do and model after them.
Add teams like Auburn, Oregon, etc. The trend with the four I've mentioned is hiring coaches with other success where they kind of wore out their welcome to an extent. Or had been looking at other jobs for a while. I've been against a "retread" from another power conference, but maybe that is the way to go.

Last edited:
It can be done. Just off the top of my head teams like Kansas State to the Elite 8, South Carolina to the Final Four and others in recent years. THese are examples of teams in power conferences that probably have recruiting challenges, but have had some success. I know SC hasn't sustained it. But hey, a final four is a final four. I think they had a talented local kid that year. But maybe you have to look at what teams like that are able to do and model after them.
Add teams like Auburn, Oregon, etc. The trend with the four I've mentioned is hiring coaches with other success where they kind of wore out their welcome to an extent. Or had been looking at other jobs for a while. I've been against a "retread" from another power conference, but maybe that is the way to go.
I think South Carolina is the best comparison, but even they have been to Sweet 16s before in the 70s. I do like that you go find someone that has worn out their welcome somewhere to completely turn the program around. I feel like Moos would know a thing or two about that, as he hired Mike Leach when he was fired from Texas Tech. Hoiberg and Altman seem the logical choices in that scenario.

Nobody seems to be discussing player development under Miles. I can't really seem to recall many players that were better 2 years after they go into the program. Between Watson, pre-injury Copeland, Palmer and Roby do any of them look better than last year?
the only one in my opinion would maybe be roby, hes gotten a little more aggresive, attacking hoop better, just wish he woud take the shot more when he is open.

I think the answer is put Palmer at point. Let Allen or Watson come off the bench, and let someone else start. What are you going to lose? Palmer makes passes when he's told to do it. Run plays through Roby or Borchardt, both are decent passers from the post. Also, why not play everyone for short periods. Costello used to be a really good shooter... something has to stick to the wall.
ive though that same thing about palmer at point, at least for a short stretch.

the only one in my opinion would maybe be roby, hes gotten a little more aggresive, attacking hoop better, just wish he woud take the shot more when he is open.
Unfortunately I was going to use him as an example of underdeveloped. That aggressiveness and lack of taking the shot also frustrates me because part way through his second season as a starter he still lacks the instinct to take over a game when it needs to be done. Miles just hasn't developed him to that point. I think the flashes of attacking the hoop that you are talking about are there but that's just it......flashes..... and then he backs up into a secondary roll again.

I'm going to get crucified for saying this but.....How about Rick Petino. Nebraska is in such a need of a big splash for recruiting. We have the facilities and the money. Yes there is some baggage. As long as he doesn't repeat that here is it worth the risk? He can coach, recruit and get us to where we want. If I remember right Bill Self and some other high profile coaches were also accused/guilty of the same pay for play that Petino was.

I'm not going to crucify anyone, as it is historically counter-productive. :p

As an aside, a new movie called "The Prodigy" has a part of the trailer that says "What's... Wrong... With... Miles?". That's the GIF that I need.

I'm going to get crucified for saying this but.....How about Rick Petino. Nebraska is in such a need of a big splash for recruiting. We have the facilities and the money. Yes there is some baggage. As long as he doesn't repeat that here is it worth the risk? He can coach, recruit and get us to where we want. If I remember right Bill Self and some other high profile coaches were also accused/guilty of the same pay for play that Petino was.

No. Old man who is a fraud. Yeah I'm 18, sign me up:O O:

NO

.........................and as a side note stop listing to Josh Peterson on 1620 and taking him seriously.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back