• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching search....

Yeah, that bench is killer. And yes, players can be impactful as freshmen. I think I saw that somewhere. Not if they are redshirting of course. And of course not if still in high school either.
You need to remember, there are freshmen, and then there are freshMen. Most of the teams seeing great input from freshmen are physically more mature and ready for that advanced style. Most of the guys we’ve recruited are in need of some S&C development, so while they can get in some minutes, there will be limits.

You’re right, we will more than likely lose recruits. Small price to pay for better basketball though assuming we make a good hire.
I think it would be much easier to fix the current problem than to start from square 1 again. That hasn't worked well for the almost 60 years that I have been following the team. But maybe we will catch lightning in a bottle this time. :rolleyes:

I think it would be much easier to fix the current problem than to start from square 1 again. That hasn't worked well for the almost 60 years that I have been following the team. But maybe we will catch lightning in a bottle this time. :rolleyes:
Man, I would love to know how to do that. Miles is right for Nebraska in a lot of ways. I just don't know how you go from not instilling toughness and not having a feel for the flow of the game to anything else. This is one of those things that we'll just have to wait and see. The only constant for Nebrasketball is surprise - everytime you think you know what is going to happen, something different goes done. Unfortunately, it's normally just worse than I expected. Lucky I am an optimist (or was). Now I'm expecting Nebraska to make a run at the tournament, then have Chicago flooded so there can be no tourney.

Man, I would love to know how to do that. Miles is right for Nebraska in a lot of ways. I just don't know how you go from not instilling toughness and not having a feel for the flow of the game to anything else. This is one of those things that we'll just have to wait and see. The only constant for Nebrasketball is surprise - everytime you think you know what is going to happen, something different goes done. Unfortunately, it's normally just worse than I expected. Lucky I am an optimist (or was). Now I'm expecting Nebraska to make a run at the tournament, then have Chicago flooded so there can be no tourney.
I think Nebraska needs a change at head coach. Miles is great on the defensive side of the ball. Offense is another story.

I just don't think he can put the same amount of talent on the floor that he did this year ever again. He is not a strong recruiter. Transfers can solve some issues but when you rely on it, the issue is your recruiting or lack of development.

I understand the thought that we have tried time and time again for the new young coach to take over and its never panned out. But Miles teams just don't seem mentally tough to me. They are prone to huge droughts and even the go-to guys don't seem to be able to get us out of them easily.

Nebraska has the facilities and the conference to build something special on the basketball court and I just don't have the confidence that Miles is the guy that can get it done.

I think Nebraska needs a change at head coach. Miles is great on the defensive side of the ball. Offense is another story.

I just don't think he can put the same amount of talent on the floor that he did this year ever again. He is not a strong recruiter. Transfers can solve some issues but when you rely on it, the issue is your recruiting or lack of development.

I understand the thought that we have tried time and time again for the new young coach to take over and its never panned out. But Miles teams just don't seem mentally tough to me. They are prone to huge droughts and even the go-to guys don't seem to be able to get us out of them easily.

Nebraska has the facilities and the conference to build something special on the basketball court and I just don't have the confidence that Miles is the guy that can get it done.
Copeland is a once in a decade (or more) type transfer for Nebraska - Isaac might be the highest ranked player to come to UNL. The only other transfer I can think of on that level is Tony Farmer. There were some high rated JUCO players, but that's a little different.

EDIT: I'm still thinking about this: if Miles could recruit players like Copeland or players that turn out like Palmer out of high school, I'd feel better about him as a coach. Being a soft landing place is pretty much the embodiment of Lincoln, Nebraska, but I'm not sure that's a good goal for the Basketball team.

Last edited:

Likely the new coach will be someone we have heard very little about at this point or barely know at all if you aren't deep into cbb as a fan. It'll be someone who wins one or two games in NCAA's that wasn't supposed to. Oh yeah. They scored an upset or two. Let's back up our truck of money and hitch the program to them! Yippeee.

Copeland is a once in a decade (or more) type transfer for Nebraska - Isaac might be the highest ranked player to come to UNL. The only other transfer I can think of on that level is Tony Farmer. There were some high rated JUCO players, but that's a little different.

EDIT: I'm still thinking about this: if Miles could recruit players like Copeland or players that turn out like Palmer out of high school, I'd feel better about him as a coach. Being a soft landing place is pretty much the embodiment of Lincoln, Nebraska, but I'm not sure that's a good goal for the Basketball team.

Wasn't White, here between KU and SU, a high ranked recruit?

Yeah, he was really good. A 4 star recuit:
https://247sports.com/Player/Andrew-White-12739/

James Palmer Jr. was a 4 star. Copeland was a 5 Star:
https://247sports.com/Player/Isaac-Copeland-22179/

I don't want to get caught up in stars, but usually the 5 star recruits are SPECIAL, and they don't transfer to Nebraska too often.

I was at a few games out here in DC when Copeland played for Gtown. I was surprised he left. Coaching change hadn't happened yet, but he had been hurt. Just seemed odd.

Your points about Erstad are valid, but experiments can work. Fred Hoiberg was considered a very big experiment and stretch when he was hired at ISU. He had no coaching experience and had only been an NBA front office guy. The only reason he got the job at ISU was because he was a Cyclown legend.

I personally am not in favor of Lue if it gets that far, but I don't think he is a huge stretch of a hire.

The people questioning the hire were idiots.

Fred grew up on that floor. He was Orr’s floor general. He knew ISU inside and out and was the slam-dunkiest hire there ever wasfor ISU.

Last edited:

Likely the new coach will be someone we have heard very little about at this point or barely know at all if you aren't deep into cbb as a fan. It'll be someone who wins one or two games in NCAA's that wasn't supposed to. Oh yeah. They scored an upset or two. Let's back up our truck of money and hitch the program to them! Yippeee.

Lots of those guys work out. Fran McCaffrey at Iowa, for example, and I'm not even sure that he scored an upset to put on the resume.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back