• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching formulas and the right fit

I'm guessing Frost inspected what was in Lincoln and said he wanted a 7 year contract to turn things around (I hope it doesn't take that long).

This is one thing I suspect everyone on this board will agree with, including myself. The way we finished the last half of 2018, I thought we would be playing better in 2019. I thought we would be playing better at this point in the season than what we played in August. But I think we have regressed.

I hope not, but not betting on anything.
Does losing our top receiver, thousand yard running back and most of our O-line to graduation have anything to do with the “regression” this year? How about adding the injuries to the kickers and starting skill players this year?

One more win will be progress over last year. Two more will meet the win expectations of our AD. We have a reasonable shot at three more wins for a pretty good season and an upset against Wisconsin or Iowa would be ”Frosting” the cake. Personally I’m not saying the Huskers regressed yet.

Does losing our top receiver, thousand yard running back and most of our O-line to graduation have anything to do with the “regression” this year? How about adding the injuries to the kickers and starting skill players this year?

One more win will be progress over last year. Two more will meet the win expectations of our AD. We have a reasonable shot at three more wins for a pretty good season and an upset against Wisconsin or Iowa would be ”Frosting” the cake. Personally I’m not saying the Huskers regressed yet.

That's the real problem I have w/ some people's outlook this year. We didn't have talented depth last year so why would it be an expectation that we have players that will easily replace what we lost? I made the same mistake by not putting value on Dedrick Young. Do I think our ILB play should have been better than him? Yes. Did we have anybody talented or experienced enough to replace him? No. Until there's a solid two-deep, can't be surprised if there's problems moving from one year to the next. It will probably take four recruiting cycles, but it is what it is.

That's the real problem I have w/ some people's outlook this year. We didn't have talented depth last year so why would it be an expectation that we have players that will easily replace what we lost? I made the same mistake by not putting value on Dedrick Young. Do I think our ILB play should have been better than him? Yes. Did we have anybody talented or experienced enough to replace him? No. Until there's a solid two-deep, can't be surprised if there's problems moving from one year to the next. It will probably take four recruiting cycles, but it is what it is.
Are we getting beat athletically or with strategy? Because right now the athleticism hasn't been underwhelming as much as technique.

Yes and Yes.

My feelings of regression have more to do with how I feel the team is playing and less to do with the won/loss record. Even in all of the losses after the Michigan loss, I felt the team was continuing to improve. This year, I just don't feel that way. I hope I am wrong. And I'm not writing off the rest of the season just yet, either.

I did think center snaps had improved in the Minnesota game (those of you who watch the Oline play closer than I do can correct me if I'm wrong). I have also wondered if Martinez has had a slight, nagging injury. Not a crippling injury that kept him out of the Minnesota game, but just enough of slight pain that has slowed him just a bit.

I do hope that by the end of the season I can feel differently, and that the Kool-Aid will taste even sweeter during the off season next year.

It's always darkest before the dawn.* Seriously. I believe Frost will make whatever adjustments he needs to make to manage the program to success over the next several years. So I'm disappointed and impatient, but I'm still OK with it. It will just take some time.

I got no problem with questioning and have questions myself, but I do have faith that this guy will ultimately get it done.

* Actually I'm not sure that's really true. Maybe I'm crazy, but t always thought it lightens up a little gradually right before dawn. But somebody said it once and it stuck so that's what I'm going with. :Biggrin:

Last edited:
Yes and Yes.

My feelings of regression have more to do with how I feel the team is playing and less to do with the won/loss record. Even in all of the losses after the Michigan loss, I felt the team was continuing to improve. This year, I just don't feel that way. I hope I am wrong. And I'm not writing off the rest of the season just yet, either.

I did think center snaps had improved in the Minnesota game (those of you who watch the Oline play closer than I do can correct me if I'm wrong). I have also wondered if Martinez has had a slight, nagging injury. Not a crippling injury that kept him out of the Minnesota game, but just enough of slight pain that has slowed him just a bit.

I do hope that by the end of the season I can feel differently, and that the Kool-Aid will taste even sweeter during the off season next year.

I do understand and can relate to your feelings. Particularly so after the Minnesota loss. The “Yes and Yes” however relate to reason and logic that explain why the feelings aren‘t necessarily the reality. Right now we need neither to be starry eyed optimist (Kool-aid drinkers) nor Gloomy-eyed pessimists (Hemlock drinkers) as fans. IMHO we need to be wide eyed realists (Coffee drinkers?) taking everything into consideration at the end of the season before making a judgement about the direction of the program..

I do understand and can relate to your feelings. Particularly so after the Minnesota loss. The “Yes and Yes” however relate to reason and logic that explain why the feelings aren‘t necessarily the reality. Right now we need neither to be starry eyed optimist (Kool-aid drinkers) nor Gloomy-eyed pessimists (Hemlock drinkers) as fans. IMHO we need to be wide eyed realists (Coffee drinkers?) taking everything into consideration at the end of the season before making a judgement about the direction of the program..
I like your waiting till the end of the season to pass judgement. I have said the same thing after previous 2 losses. When I typed my previous statement, I was still dealing with the Minnesota loss. I am finally starting to heal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back