• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching formulas and the right fit

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Preface: Frost will get the job done at NU.

Isn’t it interesting that a coach’s formula works or doesn’t work at one program but then it’s different at another program?

Saban is all world at Bama. At MSU he was just pretty good.

Rich Rod was amazing at WVU, but couldn’t get it done at MU. Or Arizona.

Chip Kelly was the most coveted available two years ago. It’s not working thus far at UCLA.

Frost is national coach of the year at UCF.

Meanwhile you have weird hires like Herm Edwards and Mac Brown that now appear genius.

So you are contradicting yourself. You say many coaches were great elsewhere(including Frost), then were the right fit somewhere else. Then state that Frost was great elsewhere....um, that's not a good vote of confidence according to your logic.

So you are contradicting yourself. You say many coaches were great elsewhere(including Frost), then were the right fit somewhere else. Then state that Frost was great elsewhere....um, that's not a good vote of confidence according to your logic.

Frost will get it done at NU, but not with the Oregon / UCF formula. He’s trying to win at NASCAR with a Formula 1 philosophy.

Last edited:

This may seem odd but perhaps Frost has to take Nebraska back to old school Nebraska triple option football and figure out how to incorporate some of the Chip Kelly offense into that under center I formation. Going the other way i.e. Oregon in the shotgun and modifying it the other way seeems to be a struggle . Don't know if that makes sense as described.

On Frost's stubbornness on going'tempo'; reminds me of a reviled former coach that said "we don't take what the defense gives us, we take what we want".

And recruiting 3* 5'10/160 CB's isn't going to work in the B1G.

Better to get the best possible assistants and not your buddies. I believe Saban and Sweeney discovered that when they got to the big time.

HCSF will need to adjust his system to fit and succeed in the BIG10. The team still doesn't have all the pieces to fit and is very young. Time will tell I hope HCSF will see where he needs who and what he needs to change as he he grows as a coach

Reactions: RMR
My perspective is SF is trying also trying to do things the TO way. Calm demeanor, measured language, controlled approach. It's a great way to conduct oneself for sure. But its a new world. He did not inherit the progress TO did. And he is not going to replicate TO. I believe he will realize soon that he needs to be SF. While a blend of all his great coaching influences, some of them were hardliners and tough on folk. A little more of that needs to surface. Another great man once said "Walk softly - but carry a big stick". I want to be aware of the crack of timber behind closed doors. Not just hope it is happening.

1982 Bench Warming Safety - Douglas HS

This may seem odd but perhaps Frost has to take Nebraska back to old school Nebraska triple option football and figure out how to incorporate some of the Chip Kelly offense into that under center I formation. Going the other way i.e. Oregon in the shotgun and modifying it the other way seeems to be a struggle . Don't know if that makes sense as described.
Perfect sense to me. Mix of HCSF formations that when done confuse the heck out of a defence with old school triple option. Im not a coach and have never played one on TV but I think it would work

On Frost's stubbornness on going'tempo'; reminds me of a reviled former coach that said "we don't take what the defense gives us, we take what we want".

And recruiting 3* 5'10/160 CB's isn't going to work in the B1G.

Better to get the best possible assistants and not your buddies. I believe Saban and Sweeney discovered that when they got to the big time.
Could there be more cliche, uninformed, judgmental comments in a post?

-Tempo is used successfully by nearly every team not named Nebraska at this point, so why should we abandon using it as a part of our offense? We need to execute it better, but we certainly don't need to abandon it.

-Exactly how many of those 3* 5'10"/160 guys do we have playing at the moment? Is there a place on the field for guys like that? How often do we see our inability to cover backs or slot guys with LBs haunt us year in and year out? Just because we pursue a couple smaller guys doesn’t mean we don’t like taller DBs, as Clark, Smith, Taylor, Jones, Farmer, Newsome and Wright from the last 2 classes prove, and continuing the trend this year with Lynum and Gray.

-Lastly, can we please stop thinking WE know what constitutes a quality Assistant Coach? Since none of us has ever coached an undefeated team at the D-1 level, nor have we coached in the Pros, maybe we can allow the staff and leadership to develop. And frankly, if we have a HC who can't find a friend to fill the Assistant spot after all the years in the business, then I'd wonder how big of a douche that HC coach is.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back