• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching Changes....

When does Frost talk to the media again? I would think they would ask about his plan for ST at a minimum. As bad as ST has been I truly believe we need a full time ST coach with no other job responsibilities at this point until we get it right.

If Rutledge is the only coaching change (not to include HCSF), and he wasn't a coach but an analyst, I don't see much improvement in our W-L record next season. I fear it will be the same problems, failures, we've seen in the past 3 years. To give all the coaching staff another year to figure out what needs to be corrected and how, when they haven't done it in the past 3 years, is showing me they don't believe they have a coaching problem but a player problem!:Sign2cents:

2020 College Football Rankings for Final Rankings | ESPN
5 of the teams we play next year had losing records (Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, Mich St., Minn.)
5 of the rest we play were in the final top 25; OSU, Okla., NW, Iowa, Buffalo.
2 not ranked still had winning records; SE Louisiana (8-5) and Wis. (4-3)

Even though we have most of our D Seniors coming back, which will be good, all the teams we play will also have players coming back.

If Rutledge is the only coaching change (not to include HCSF), and he wasn't a coach but an analyst, I don't see much improvement in our W-L record next season. I fear it will be the same problems, failures, we've seen in the past 3 years. To give all the coaching staff another year to figure out what needs to be corrected and how, when they haven't done it in the past 3 years, is showing me they don't believe they have a coaching problem but a player problem!:Sign2cents:

5 of the teams we play next year had losing records (Illinois, Purdue, Michigan, Mich St., Minn.)

Even though we have most of our D Seniors coming back, which will be good, all the teams we play will also have players coming back.

Ok

To the first bolded....really? They don't think coaching needs to improve? I bet you're wrong. To the second....good point...never thought that other teams would have players back. Kinda kills my undefeated NC season dreams.

There wont be any major changes until after Feb signing day. I think that’s a given. Check back in a month to see if there are would be my advice.
If that is true, and I am not saying it is not, NU would be one of the few to remain in a holding cycle for coaching changes. It is tough when you see new staffs being assembled that seem to be exceptional hires (based on performance at high levels), and existing staffs that likewise have been upgraded.

Having said that, I do not think Frost makes any changes, but we shall see.

GBR

If he's waiting to use the old wait until they get out on the recruiting trail so he can call and fire them trick then I'm fairly confident no changes are going to happen this season. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere maybe in one of the articles on the front page that we are advertising for a new ST analyst....that led me to believe we are not looking to move one of the current coaches to an analyst role and hire a full time ST coach.

I'm not sure if we are essentially staying status quo or if this is the calm before the storm and some changes are coming. If I had to guess we are most likely staying status quo.

From Sam's column on the front page

So Rutledge wasn’t the answer. Is another analyst?

Nebraska is advertising for one.

I'd be interested how many programs saw the turnaround as a result of a change at the position coaching level. I would suggest more is gained from consistency and then making changes and modifications than by trying something new at a position, unless it is clearly not working.

That being said, I can see a change in order to bring a special teams coordinator into the coaching mix, but a change to try and improve one particular position doesn't seem like the magic elixir in my opinion. Keep the consistency - this year was the first with the roles assigned as they were - and see what tweaks can be made.

I'd be interested how many programs saw the turnaround as a result of a change at the position coaching level. I would suggest more is gained from consistency and then making changes and modifications than by trying something new at a position, unless it is clearly not working.

That being said, I can see a change in order to bring a special teams coordinator into the coaching mix, but a change to try and improve one particular position doesn't seem like the magic elixir in my opinion. Keep the consistency - this year was the first with the roles assigned as they were - and see what tweaks can be made.
I disagree to a point. If your winning games I can see just making a few tweaks. But if your losing like we are at the rate we are it pretty much tells you what we are doing isn’t working. Yes it was a. Tough year but it’s not like we where the only team going through it. To me frost should be looking to make huge changes since he has had three years in a row losing. Then again maybe your right no change is really necessary and frost some how magically turns it around next year and we don’t have a losing season. Anything less than six wins just might get frost fired. The noise is starting to get louder and it won’t stop if we have another losing season. Winning fixes everything so whatever changes need made non or some it all lays with frosty to decide it’s his job to lose not mine.

What is the likelihood....?

Frost would like to make a change here and there but is having a difficult time finding anyone to come. He won't announce a departure until certain that he has a replacement. Coaches may have concerns about Frost even being at Nebraska after next year if there is another losing season.

As Nebraskans, I think we put a great deal of value on consistency in coaching because TO had such consistency. However, TO was also winning, which afforded him that consistency.

The MN DC was fired mid year and they improved. Who was Bama’s OC this year? How about the LSU OC and DC last year.

I want consistency too, but not at the expense of losing. If you haven’t shown progress in 3 years it is time to move on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back