• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coaching changes thread

So far then, we've got:

Florida St.
Arkansas
New Mexico
Rutgers
UNLV

If I'm Rutgers, I take a peek at former Nebraska assistant Jay Norvell. He's about to post his second consecutive 8-win regular season at Nevada, and he has a strong Big Ten pedigree. He played at Iowa and coached under Alvarez for 5 years. He was also an assistant/OC under Stoops at OU for 7 years.

Last edited:
So far then, we've got:

Florida St.
Arkansas
New Mexico
Rutgers
UNLV

If I'm Rutgers, I take a peek at former Nebraska assistant Jay Norvell. He's about to post his second consecutive 8-win regular season at Nevada, and he has a strong Big Ten pedigree. He played at Iowa and coached under Alvarez for 5 years. He was also an assistant/OC under Stoops at OU for 7 years.
Wow, good find. But does anyone really want to go to New Jersey?

With these lower tier openings(UNLV, Rutgers, NM), do former huskers get a chance? While I was a huge Bo supporter, I always thought we made the right choice with him and Solich. Neither were great recruiters. Bo was also an obstinate hot head. However, I don't understand how Turner Gill has not gotten another chance. Kansas is a hole for all coaches. I think Gill could be a great fit for UNLV or a school like South Florida which seems destined for a new coach.

With these lower tier openings(UNLV, Rutgers, NM), do former huskers get a chance? While I was a huge Bo supporter, I always thought we made the right choice with him and Solich. Neither were great recruiters. Bo was also an obstinate hot head. However, I don't understand how Turner Gill has not gotten another chance. Kansas is a hole for all coaches. I think Gill could be a great fit for UNLV or a school like South Florida which seems destined for a new coach.

No offense but that might be the worst pairing ever. The rules and regs he had for his players at Kansas didn't work at Kansas, they sure as heck wouldn't fly in Vegas. Know if he has loosened up a bit, who knows. What about Mike Minter? He has been at Campbell, I think. I would like to see Bo get a shot somewhere to once and for all prove or disprove he can be a head coach at a big boy school.

Wow, good find. But does anyone really want to go to New Jersey?

It’s a tough sell, but I think for the right money, yes. It sounds like the Schiano deal fell apart because he wanted too much control vs. too much money. Rutgers is willing to pay $4 million per year. That’s a lot of scratch.

IIRC Gill stepped down from HC at Liberty University 2-3 yrs ago because of his wife’s medical condition. I don’t think he’s currently looking/interested in another HC position due to those circumstances.

IIRC Gill stepped down from HC at Liberty University 2-3 yrs ago because of his wife’s medical condition. I don’t think he’s currently looking/interested in another HC position due to those circumstances.
I believe he is with the University of Arkansas as Director of Player and Staff Development or something like that. Doubt he'll be their next HC, but they could do worse.

would love to see Turner back in Lincoln as a consultant or in some capacity - a quality mentor & person.

Since we are randomly making Turner Gill suggestions, I don't want him involved at Nebraska unless it's taking Ron Brown's position with player hand-holder.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back