• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Verduzco!!!

Lol of course they don’t. I think Martinez is good! I’ve made the argument it’s almost impossible to have a great backup nowadays with the transfer portal.
What we have and what we want, and even if given what we want, will that qb be able to perform with those players takes time to understand, let alone happen.
You point out the portal ,backups in development, you can point out O lines, rbs and wrs, essential for any top qb.
They go next level, those top qbs, usually to scrub teams who then scramble to get players around their qb.

Last edited:
I think a significant amount of AM's issues are AM or not-Verdu related. With that said, I have serious doubts about coach based on other areas. Verdu, I would have to think, has a significant voice in recruiting. By the end of year 3 we had a three year starter who struggles with mid/deep passes and lateral passes, a #2 and "the future at QB" with a 10th grade arm (LM), another great runner but passing project (Smothers), and now Haarberg who seems athletic and has a cannon for an arm but is yet another project, and Masker who we really haven't seen.

If he's really a genius . . . he's running out of time to show it at NU. I'm tending to think he had some great success with QBs who had some good (even special) talent to start with, but he's struggled to find more and/or got a little over-confident in his ability to find a diamond in the rough and make magic happen.

As I've said, though . . . I'd just assume Frost and Verdu get it figured out and start winning.
I agree with you that Martinez’s problems are independent of coaching for the most part. That said, I’m undecided on Coach V. He has had prior success. But I’m with Frosty that the jury is still out as I personally won’t judge his coaching ability at Nebraska based only on Martinez. I’m also not ready to judge the young QBs yet. It’s too early for that imo. I’ve read what MABC has written on Coach V and he has a high opinion of him, and I value that opinion. At this point I just hope that the staff gets more wins than losses and we get the opportunity to see what they can do as they develop as a staff, and continue to develop players.

What we hae and what we want, and evenif given what we want, will that qb be able to perform with those players takes time to understand,let alone happen.
You point out the portal,backups in development,you can point out O lines,rbs and wrs,essential for any top qb.
They go next level,those top qbs,usually to scrub teams who then scramble to get players around their qb.
I’m not sure how to respond because your response is confusing to me. Either way man I appreciate your input.

I loved him in Weekend at Bernies...

892702f0fa7660614758d52bd98a1a31.gif

I agree with you that Martinez’s problems are independent of coaching for the most part. That said, I’m undecided on Coach V. He has had prior success. But I’m with Frosty that the jury is still out as I personally won’t judge his coaching ability at Nebraska based only on Martinez. I’m also not ready to judge the young QBs yet. It’s too early for that imo. I’ve read what MABC has written on Coach V and he has a high opinion of him, and I value that opinion. At this point I just hope that the staff gets more wins than losses and we get the opportunity to see what they can do as they develop as a staff, and continue to develop players.

Yeah . . . I've read MABC's thoughts before and I know Verdu is well regarded my many. So it's not that I don't think Verdu has a lot of knowledge or anything like that. Just seems like he's gotten himself behind the 8-ball at NU for whatever reason. Did he get too clever by half and take some chances because the staff figured the wins were just going to be there based on their 3d chess? I don't know. Whatever the case, we're in a spot where this team desperately needs to get the offense in gear and they have exactly one QB with experience who--to this point--hasn't looked like a 3rd year starter in a lot of ways.

Hoping this year is the year . . . or at least shows signs of getting to be there.

Last edited:

Here's my concern with Verduzco...

The guy has a masters in biomechanics and wrote his thesis on "The Biomechanics of the QB position..." and yet he spent 10 yrs as a high school asst coach, and 14 season at Northern Iowa. And his stops along the way include the likes of San Jose St, De Anza College, Rutgers, and Missouri St.

If he's such a great QB coach, why did it take Scot Frost rescuing him from coaching oblivion to get him to a tier 1 program??

And by the way, I have the same concern about Ryan Held, the RB coach.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back