• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Verduzco!!!

I don’t think it was Tommy being a leader that got them those championships, I think it was an incredibly strong roster, both mentally and physically, on both sides of the ball. Tommy sulking on the sidelines when we had to gut it out against CU or KSU wasn’t leadership. And you might want to chat with some of the guys privately about who they wanted to play harder for. TF was a heck of a player, but being a prick, no matter how talented, doesn’t make people want to play harder for you, it actually takes stronger personalities to look past that, and we were fortunate to have those types of people playing on a team with TF. Had we not, the season would have failed, so I credit those players easily as much as I do Tommy.
I was in the press and covered the huskers during those years so I got to interact with the players regularly. I also had social connections with some of them and regularly went out after games. Finally, one of my colleagues wrote a biography on Tommy.

The team had cliques and they weren't all friends. Yes, there were many strong leaders among them, but there were also some guys that were out of control. I never heard anyone complain about Tommy or give a preference on who "they wanted to play for", never!

Media was a second job. TF acted like a prick to most of the media more than other people, but was always nice to us. I can't say I disagreed with him, though. Many of those guys were really full of themselves and thought they were more important than they were. There were many times in the press room after I would just cringe at their behavior.

I was in the press and covered the huskers during those years so I got to interact with the players regularly. I also had social connections with some of them and regularly went out after games. Finally, one of my colleagues wrote a biography on Tommy.

The team had cliques and they weren't all friends. Yes, there were many strong leaders among them, but there were also some guys that were out of control. I never heard anyone complain about Tommy or give a preference on who "they wanted to play for", never!

Media was a second job. TF acted like a prick to most of the media more than other people, but was always nice to us. I can't say I disagreed with him, though. Many of those guys were really full of themselves and thought they were more important than they were. There were many times in the press room after I would just cringe at their behavior.
I think its still called, young dumb and excited

I don't think you have to be an expert to evaluate our QB coach.

No one has been rushing around trying to recurit him over the years -- therefore those who evaluate QB coaches don't want him.

He can be judged by just how well your QBs do and since it is the most important position on the team, that often will accord with wins and losses. Ours are pitiful with him as QB coach

You can also judge him by how well he recruits. Up to now, a very mediocre record. And why didn't he go balls out to get Burrows? Probably judged him not as good as AM.

You can also judge him by how he develops his QB . Very few would say that AM is better now than he was as a freshman. None of the others progressed. In fact, I think Vedral is better since he left.

As for those arguing he hasn't had enough time to demonstrate how good he is -- he's had decades, just not all at UN. And I repeat, no one wants him but us.

Finally teams we play seem to have little problem defending against him especially when the game is on the line. Just make him fumble -- easy, peasy. You can't coach that out of him but you still use him as you QB?

No one has been rushing around trying to recurit him over the years -- therefore those who evaluate QB coaches don't want him.

He can be judged by just how well your QBs do and since it is the most important position on the team, that often will accord with wins and losses. Ours are pitiful with him as QB coach

You can also judge him by how well he recruits. Up to now, a very mediocre record. And why didn't he go balls out to get Burrows? Probably judged him not as good as AM.

You can also judge him by how he develops his QB . Very few would say that AM is better now than he was as a freshman. None of the others progressed. In fact, I think Vedral is better since he left.

As for those arguing he hasn't had enough time to demonstrate how good he is -- he's had decades, just not all at UN. And I repeat, no one wants him but us.

Finally teams we play seem to have little problem defending against him especially when the game is on the line. Just make him fumble -- easy, peasy. You can't coach that out of him but you still use him as you QB?
To me, this statement embodies all that is wrong with V. IMO, and I am not an expert, he is not a good coach, period.

I agree with the bolded part. I researched him a lot and he really hasn’t developed anyone outside of Milton. Milton seems like a kid that just gets it. I was really down on coach V. I’m trying to give him a second chance because MABC loves him so much. I figured since he’s actually met him I will take his word for it. Though that’s starting to become harder for me too.

I agree with the bolded part. I researched him a lot and he really hasn’t developed anyone outside of Milton. Milton seems like a kid that just gets it. I was really down on coach V. I’m trying to give him a second chance because MABC loves him so much. I figured since he’s actually met him I will take his word for it. Though that’s starting to become harder for me too.
Look at the results he had at northern Iowa

Look at the results he had at northern Iowa
He had three all conference guys at the lower level. While that is an accomplishment it’s not something I would tout as a major accomplishment. I have just always wondered if he is really that good at developing quarterbacks. Maybe he will end up being great but there’s not a long history of him coaching too Many division one guys. I won’t talk down on him either. I think if Martinez has a good year it will definitely help him. If Martinez doesn’t it might be time to move on. I don’t think any big schools will be knocking on his door offering jobs.

Last edited:
He had three all conference guys at the lower level. While that is an accomplishment it’s not something I would tout as a major accomplishment. I have just always wondered if he is really that good at developing quarterbacks. Maybe he will end up being great but there’s not a long history of him coaching too Bitch division one guys. I won’t talk down on him either. I think if Martinez has a good year it will definitely help him. If Martinez doesn’t it might be time to move on. I don’t think any big schools will be knocking on his door offering jobs.
So, you wonder if he cant take better talent and make it better, despite Milton.
I think in reference/context you have to include him

So, you wonder if he cant take better talent and make it better, despite Milton.
I think in reference/context you have to include him
I agree you definitely have to include Milton in the conversation. I’m in a wait and see mode with two coaches. Ryan Held and Coach V. I’m very optimistic about the team this year. I think this could be a big year for both those guys. I will never really like coach V’s personality but that is irrelevant to if he can coach or not.

I find that I just am not interested in any comments made by the AD or our HC about the quality of talent we have or how good the guys are looking, etc. They have exhausted their believability with me. So I'm at the level of vague curiosity and will be there until the end of the first month of the season.

Thanks for the clarity on what you think.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back