• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach speak

Redleg

Scout Team
10 Year Member
I was reviewing one of the "This week in Husker history" stories from the front page and came across some gems from the 1962 Big Eight preseason football meetings. Coaches today usually aren't quite as frank as these guys.

Bob Devaney - "The squad looks good on paper with 24 returning lettermen, but this is the same group that won just 3 games last fall. Before we go hog wild about a winning season, we will certainly have to improve."

Doug Weaver (K St) - "Alot depends on luck. We have to count on luck. The others use old fashioned things like talent and coaching..."

Cliff Speegle (OK St) - "We'll play everybody pretty tough, but we'll probably help everybody out...the lower echelon of the league has to be optimistic...we have two weeks open after our first game which is almost like having two seasons."

Also a Gale Sayers mention from the Kansas coach and how Bill Jennings is helping him as a passer because they're going to need their halfbacks to pass the ball.

Anyway, a fun read from a time when coaches comments weren't scrutinized quite like they are today.

I was reviewing one of the "This week in Husker history" stories from the front page and came across some gems from the 1962 Big Eight preseason football meetings. Coaches today usually aren't quite as frank as these guys.

Bob Devaney - "The squad looks good on paper with 24 returning lettermen, but this is the same group that won just 3 games last fall. Before we go hog wild about a winning season, we will certainly have to improve."

Doug Weaver (K St) - "Alot depends on luck. We have to count on luck. The others use old fashioned things like talent and coaching..."

Cliff Speegle (OK St) - "We'll play everybody pretty tough, but we'll probably help everybody out...the lower echelon of the league has to be optimistic...we have two weeks open after our first game which is almost like having two seasons."

Also a Gale Sayers mention from the Kansas coach and how Bill Jennings is helping him as a passer because they're going to need their halfbacks to pass the ball.

Anyway, a fun read from a time when coaches comments weren't scrutinized quite like they are today.

My uncle told me he hated tackling Sayers. Too many spikes legs and feet

As others have mentioned, there was likely more to the story.

Again, there are players that were in that room that would dispute this. I’m sure we’ll hear more in the coming days, weeks and months. Almost seems to me Venables wanted Cale out and this was an easy out for him. I hope this whole thing blows up in their faces. I’d love it.

Also Devaney: “I wish we had car washing or live bait casting…there is no reason for us to compete scholastically with Harvard”

Again, there are players that were in that room that would dispute this. I’m sure we’ll hear more in the coming days, weeks and months. Almost seems to me Venables wanted Cale out and this was an easy out for him. I hope this whole thing blows up in their faces. I’d love it.
My question is what about the player’s document and/or device Grundy was reading from? I’d like to see more elaboration on that … who was the player, what was he reading? Was it an email from someone else? Why is it allowed in that context?

I also suspect Grundy was retained from previous coaching staff but enough time has passed including one recruiting cycle and Venables can continue to move on from the Lincoln Riley experiment. I hope this creates enough chaos and disruption to negatively affect our game against OU in a couple of weeks.

No doubt there's multiple spins to the story. However, I think it's unlikely we'll ever hear anything more concrete. Heck, the Ferentz story has all but vanished.

I also suspect Grundy was retained from previous coaching staff but enough time has passed including one recruiting cycle and Venables can continue to move on from the Lincoln Riley experiment. I hope this creates enough chaos and disruption to negatively affect our game against OU in a couple of weeks.
Gundy was there so long that he worked with Venables previously. He knew what he was getting and Gundy is very highly thought of. The players really stood up for Gundy. In the position group meeting Rodney Andersons brother was in the room and saw what happened. Anderson still came to Gundy's defense. It was a poor choice but someone decided a statement had to be made.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back