• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Mario V

Cant agree with you more.
I dont think its verdu here, and getting Luke out there is the right call.
I look at this as vaguely similar to year one at ucf, where a upper classman qb started, as the new true fr qb started to shine.
Difference is, AM was picked by this staff, so whatever happens is at a higher level decision, if and when it happens
AM was rushed into a starting role he was coming off a HS senior year where he didn’t play due to an injury. Not sure he was prepared and there was so much hype it didn’t help.

There's just an X-factor (or rather LACK of one) when Adrian is running the offense. LM provides a spark and a hurry-up that kept Northwestern on their toes. Don't underestimate the value in 3-4 quick flick passes day result in 4-7 yards a piece. You get a handful of those complete in rapid fashion and you start forcing the defense to panic, over-commit and over-pursue which either opens up massive run lanes or big air time.

I like AM, but I don't think he's our guy.

Am agreeing on next weeks starter. Although will have to see if LM is good a whole game. He sure looks to be a better passer yesterday.
I think SF has nothing to loose to give LM the reigns (other than AM's confidence). He plays the future and takes his licks. If somehow LM wins some games SF looks like a forward thinker. The youth movement is almost a given when you've lost 7 games in a row is it not? I don't dislike AM at all and I see glimpses of promise but not consistent enough trust IMO.

Last edited:

For those who missed it, Luke is making throws he absolutely couldn’t make last year. Per Luke, Coach V helped him work through some problems with his stroke and he can put more on the ball now. The only player who seems to really be regressing is Adrian, so is that on the staff or is it on AM? They didn’t tell him to over eat and lose quickness. They aren’t telling him to short hop balls or miss open guys. When we click, it’s not the play calling, it’s the execution, and a great deal of the time the times we aren’t executing are stemming from QB mistakes. I mentioned it to someone else, but he seems to have a football version of the yips.

Last edited:

For those who missed it, Luke is making throws he absolutely couldn’t make last year. Per Luke, Coach V helped him work through some problems with his stroke and he can put more on the all now. The only player who seems to really be regressing is Adrian, so is that on the staff or is it on AM? They didn’t tell him to over eat and lose quickness. They aren’t telling him to short hop balls or miss open guys. When we click, it’s not the play calling, it’s the execution, and a great deal of the time the times we aren’t executing are stemming from QB mistakes. I mentioned it to someone else, but he seems to have a football version of the yips.
This is spot on. I find it ironic that the folks blaming Verduzco are holding up Luke as some sort of evidence. Luke had neither the arm strength nor the technique a year ago to make many of the out-passes that he was completing on Saturday. Was that just delayed onset of "good genes," or is it possible that --as Luke, himself, says--Mario has helped him to greatly improve as a passer?

Some of you need to take a pledge to not post for a few days after a loss. You're embarrassing yourselves.

Last edited:
This is spot on. I find it ironic that the folks blaming Verduzco are holding up Luke as some sort of evidence. Luke had neither the arm strength nor the technique a year ago to make many of the out-passes that he was completing on Saturday. Was that just delayed onset of "good genes," or is it possible that --as Luke, himself, says--Mario has helped him to greatly improve as a passer?

Some of you need to take a pledge to not post for a few days after a loss. You're embarrassing yourselves.
When discussing the regression of Adrian Martinez it is certainly fair to question the coaching he is getting from Verduzco. Luke threw like 12 passes last year and 21 so far this year, it's not a huge sample set especially when much of those reps against Northwestern were when they were sitting in a prevent defense. Additionally I would not expect a kid that is fighting to get the starting QB spot to do anything but heap praise on his QB coach, but when a kid comes from a family littered with NFL talent he no doubt has resources at his fingertips that other players don't. During that time after the abbreviated spring I'm sure he wasn't just sitting around playing Madden. Personally I will go with the larger sample size we have all witnessed with the regression of AM.

When discussing the regression of Adrian Martinez it is certainly fair to question the coaching he is getting from Verduzco. Luke threw like 12 passes last year and 21 so far this year, it's not a huge sample set especially when much of those reps against Northwestern were when they were sitting in a prevent defense. Additionally I would not expect a kid that is fighting to get the starting QB spot to do anything but heap praise on his QB coach, but when a kid comes from a family littered with NFL talent he no doubt has resources at his fingertips that other players don't. During that time after the abbreviated spring I'm sure he wasn't just sitting around playing Madden. Personally I will go with the larger sample size we have all witnessed with the regression of AM.
Everything you said is reasonable conjecture, but that's all it is. Go watch Luke's high school film. Talk to people who saw him throw last year. He couldn't throw like that until this year.

Add to the above that the primary recruiter for both Luke and Smothers was their QB coach, and you may want to think a little more deeply about "helping" them by getting rid of the coach that brought them to Lincoln. It's not going to happen anyway.

Everybody is disappointed with AM's performance on Saturday. Some of us handle that maturely, and some of us cry for Mommy to fire somebody because our feelings are all owies. Which one are you?

Everything you said is reasonable conjecture, but that's all it is. Go watch Luke's high school film. Talk to people who saw him throw last year. He couldn't throw like that until this year.

Add to the above that the primary recruiter for both Luke and Smothers was their QB coach, and you may want to think a little more deeply about "helping" them by getting rid of the coach that brought them to Lincoln. It's not going to happen anyway.

Everybody is disappointed with AM's performance on Saturday. Some of us handle that maturely, and some of us cry for Mommy to fire somebody because our feelings are all owies. Which one are you?
In fairness, it wasn't just last week with AM. It was last week and most of last year. I know there are other factors (injuries for example) but he hasn't looked good in two years. The fumbles are horrible and that hasn't changed. His passes have looked pretty bad overall. Too short, too long, wobbly, can't hit a basic screen, etc... I don't know where the problem is exactly but it's plenty fair to criticize the guy coaching him IMO.

In fairness, it wasn't just last week with AM. It was last week and most of last year. I know there are other factors (injuries for example) but he hasn't looked good in two years. The fumbles are horrible and that hasn't changed. His passes have looked pretty bad overall. Too short, too long, wobbly, can't hit a basic screen, etc... I don't know where the problem is exactly but it's plenty fair to criticize the guy coaching him IMO.
Read threads like this in the off-season and see what still seems reasonable.

One year in HS at qb. Someone saw potential.

AMs missed throws, or missed long handoffs were close to, or exceeded a handful, thats potentially five drive killers right there.

That was the difference between Luke and AM.

How this ever translates to a coaches problem?
oy boy

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back