• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Coach Dewitt has throat cancer

I was diagnosed with a type of throat cancer about 10 years ago. It was on my vocal cords. Caused by chronic heartburn. Had surgery and was told it would be fine eventually. Big impact for Coach Dewitt will be how long after surgery before he can speak. It was 6 weeks for me. Had to hand notes to McDonald's workers in order to get a burger, etc.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed with a type of throat cancer about 10 years ago. It was on my vocal cords. Caused by chronic heartburn. Had surgery and was told it would be fine eventually. Big impact for Coach Dewitt will be how long after surgery before he can speak. It was 6 weeks for me. Had to hand notes to McDonald's workers in order to get a burger, etc.

Glad to hear that you are OK now!

I wondered about the use of his voice. So many of those coaches abuse their vocal cords anyway. After fall camp, some of the guys hardly have a voice left.

I don't think Coach Dewitt was much of a 'yeller' anyway, but this could certainly affect him for awhile. Wonder if he could use some sort of amplifier (megaphone-type device)?

Of course, it also depends on the specific location of his cancer...

If
Glad to hear that you are OK now!

I wondered about the use of his voice. So many of those coaches abuse their vocal cords anyway. After fall camp, some of the guys hardly have a voice left.

I don't think Coach Dewitt was much of a 'yeller' anyway, but this could certainly affect him for awhile. Wonder if he could use some sort of amplifier (megaphone-type device)?

Of course, it also depends on the specific location of his cancer...

If it's on his vocal cords, a microphone won't work until it is healed. Speaking while it is healing will damage them. My singing range is now less, but speech okay. A friend with the same surgery can't speak as loudly anymore and uses a mic while teaching his classes.

75% of throat cancer in males diagnosed today are from HPV. The virus sits dormant for years and cancer shows up often after age 40. HPV related throat cancer much more prevalent in males than females.

https://oralcancerfoundation.org/understanding/hpv/hpv-oral-cancer-facts/

None of this information changes my curiosity to whether Dewitt is one of the coaches that chews. Definitely not an accusation, but it is no secret that some of the coaching staff partakes in smokeless tobacco.

Last edited:

Makes the Tuioti hire look even better, I think your thought of of all 3 stepping up is a good one, as the OLB in 3-4 fits with those guys.

Agree, the timing was as good as it could be if Dawson had to leave...and they've known about Coach Dewitt's cancer for awhile now - I'm sure they have contingency plans.

When I read that coach Dawson is two years away from an NFL pension, his decision to go made even more sense to me.

A friend of my brother's died from throat cancer that was caused by acid reflux, which is probably what you mean by "heartburn," I'm guessing? Apparently, it's not uncommon. It was enough to get my brother to start taking a prescription antacid, and for me to get treatment for acid reflux & sleep apnea.

So a question about NCAA rules in a case like this. Could we for one year escalate a grad assistant to a paid position while coach heals up. Still pay Coach Dewitt until he is able to return. Would that break NCAA rules on number of coaches?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back