• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Cleveland Indians >>> Cleveland Guardians

Indians are becoming the Guardians. This will make some people happy and make some people mad.

Put me down for the latter.

I'm not very invested in MLB anymore, but sad from a cultural perspective.

I thought mostly Native American people was proud Cleveland "Indians". Same thing Chiefs, Braves, Seminoles (FSU), Redskins, Black Hawks, etc.

I was apparently wrong .....

BTW, my HS alumni, Washington Warriors (Sioux Falls)

Last edited:
I thought mostly Native American people was proud Cleveland "Indians". Same thing Chiefs, Braves, Seminoles (FSU), Redskins, Black Hawks, etc.

I was apparently wrong .....

BTW, my HS alumni, Washington Warriors (Sioux Falls)
I would willingly suggest that while there is disagreement among Native Americans, the majority dont appreciate some of the Mascots used by sports teams. And each word is its own case for some, with each holding its own reactions. "Chiefs" dont exist only among NAs, thus the name in and of itself may not be at issue, but the use of a NA image with it might. That name, however, was mockingly used in our history.
Seminole and its use dont offend. The tribe typically endorses its use. But then, the moniker is not derogatory, isnt a misnomer as "Indian" is, and not different from the proper name "Celtic". Blackhawk is the name of an animal, from which a famous NA was named. It isnt owned by NAs, unless a NA image is used with it. Change the image, keep the name.
And your title, "Warriors", again didnt denigrate, nor are NAs even remotely the only folk to utilize the term/concept. Warriors have and do exist in all corners. The image....

I would willingly suggest that while there is disagreement among Native Americans, the majority dont appreciate some of the Mascots used by sports teams. And each word is its own case for some, with each holding its own reactions. "Chiefs" dont exist only among NAs, thus the name in and of itself may not be at issue, but the use of a NA image with it might. That name, however, was mockingly used in our history.
Seminole and its use dont offend. The tribe typically endorses its use. But then, the moniker is not derogatory, isnt a misnomer as "Indian" is, and not different from the proper name "Celtic". Blackhawk is the name of an animal, from which a famous NA was named. It isnt owned by NAs, unless a NA image is used with it. Change the image, keep the name.
And your title, "Warriors", again didnt denigrate, nor are NAs even remotely the only folk to utilize the term/concept. Warriors have and do exist in all corners. The image....
My high school leather jacket was similar to Redskins patch. Big patch. Handing out varsity football & basketball teams. I can't find link picture however.

712a1741_360.jpg

Now WHS logo w/ two feathers instead of old "Redskin".

Used to be Chief Illiniwek mascot.
13119_507d75c680ad3.imageo.jpg

Fighting Illini
f54137fe63ec3d8083934880590d1b8e.jpg

BTW, @Pops still use North Dakota Fighting Sioux. Now UND Fighting Hawks (Hawks @ Huskers Sept. 3rd 2022)

Last edited:
I get canning Chief Wahoo (that needed to happen) and similarly the Redskin's name drop (it's like having a team called the 'Crackers'), but some of this is getting out of hand.

Some of you may have taken the time to read what Guardians references in the city of Cleveland.

Otherwise, if you aren't from Cleveland and/or a fan of their MLB team, this truly shouldn't make you either happy or sad. It falls into the large bucket of "okay, whatever."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back