• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Class of 2018, who steps up?

I think it depends on what someone is looking for. I think the guys us fans will notice most will be Washington and whomever emerges as TE.

I think the defense though will be were the real boost will come from, I just know how noticeable it will be because I think the defense will be average overall. I think Breon will be a standout and I think we get a little extra pressure from Tate.

The defense will need this year to come together better and get some guys healthy/experience playing in the same system with the same coaches. I think 2020 we will be seriously dangerous all around.
TE will be Stoll's

In regard to defense, this is the first time in 5 years we have the same defense. Crazy. Hopefully Wildeman is healed and if Dixon corrects things not on the field, he is our best guy at OLB (not including Ferguson).

TE will be Stoll's

In regard to defense, this is the first time in 5 years we have the same defense. Crazy. Hopefully Wildeman is healed and if Dixon corrects things not on the field, he is our best guy at OLB (not including Ferguson).
Stoll have the speed to create mismatches? I don't recall, but I thought he was the better blocker only.

Stoll have the speed to create mismatches? I don't recall, but I thought he was the better blocker only.
Not sure we have anyone that can block and has the speed. That may be a LeGrone/Hickman thing down the road. Stoll will man the TE spot thru 2019 tho. He came on towards the end of 2018.

Last edited:

I think the dline is the ones that have to up their play. Gotta stop the run in our division. I look for Dixon and Tannor also to step up this year. Vedral I am counting on stepping up also as we will need him sometime during the season

I think we have the same depth problems at OLB and Safety, so I will be curious what they do with Domann. We have much more talent at safety (if injuries are healed), as we have had back to back classes (2018/2019) where safety was a top 3 position. Where OLB, we have a ton of unknown and not a ton of "star power". If we keep Domann and Ferguson starting, Tannor and Dixon situational, it gives us a decent base there with Alex Davis working his tail off to get in the mix.

Agree on the similarities between OLB and Safety. In general, the LB spot has 5 guys with experience in a group that requires 8 to get to a 2-deep. Of those five, (1) Honas (ILB from the 2018 class) is still working on his injury; (2) Ferguson (OLB) is close to being 100% and figuring things out while (3) Barry (ILB) and (4) Miller (ILB) have the most PT of the group. As you said, (5) Tannor (OLB) needs to add some meat to the frame (preferably muscle) and continue to get more reps.

(6) Dixon (OLB) is a bit of a crap-shoot for a myriad of reasons. (7) Davis (OLB) plays like he's in quick-sand and (8) Alston (OLB) has zero PT (redshirt) but needs to get healthy and add mass and learn by participating. Then you have (9) Alexander (OLB) and (10) Jefferson (OLB) that are afterthoughts.

And (11) Jojo Domann is the wild card. If the coaches find the depth AND are comfortable, do they push him to the secondary? I believe it’s contingent upon the health of the group but there are still holes. I believe the only prospect from the 2019 class that may be physically ready is (12) Jackson Hannah.

1st Team:
OLB – Ferguson
ILB – Barry
ILB – Honas [if healthy]
OLB – Tannor

2nd Team:
OLB – Dixon
ILB – ?
ILB – Miller
OLB – Alston

I want to see the WR group and Legrone step up enough to give them enough flexibility to play him at TE or split wide to exploit mismatches.

I am going with Hunt. We really need someone on the receiver front to step up. They played a lot of youth on defense which can only make us better but the receiver position needs someone to step up big.

Lots of talk about Caleb Tannor here. I hope you're all right. He looked slow to me for some reason. Maybe it was just hesitation due to lack of complete understanding.

Last edited:

Lots of talk about Caleb Tannor here. I hope you're all right. He looked slow to me for some reason. Maybe it was just hesitation due to lack of complete understanding.
Kid was a true freshmen; his confidence wasn't there yet and that was exacerbated by not understanding all of the schemes. Last year there were many times when all 11 weren't on the same page. Needs to add some muscle which will (should) help him a lot. Year 2 for this kid should be fun to watch.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back