• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chuck Neinas, great read, Nebraska and Missouri made mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were no embarrassments the last ‘few’ years of the Big 12. Should have been 2 Big 12 titles. 2002-2007, you’d have a point.
2009 - Iowa State 7 to 9
2008 - Oklahoma 28 to 62
2008 - Missouri 17 to 52
2007 - 5 consecutive conference losses to MU, OkSt, aTm, UT and Kansas .. 39-76 to KANSAS!

Don't even bring up the 2004 Texas Tech 10 to 70 game

What history is Texas leaving? They've already destroyed their ties to history. A couple decades in a tumultuous Big 12 isn't anything special. They have the Red River rivalry, and that's about it. Presumedly the SEC will find a way to continue that annual game. Arguably the Longhorns can IMPROVE their historical connection by renewing the A&M battles. But they blew up the Southwestern Conference, and now the Big 12.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are the most interesting part of this SEC move, in terms of impact on history. What relationship will exist between those schools going forward? We believed they had to be a package deal, and this is what prevented the Pac 12 move a decade or so ago. Apparently that has changed.

I disagree that OU leadership is in a better position for an SEC move. They have an unknown commodity at head coach. I think its a lot more likely OU is on par with a school like current Florida than that they will do battle with Georgia and Alabama. They're going to be exposed to be a rung below, an also-ran in conference play. Before this season is over, I predict that there will be rumblings that OU hired the wrong guy in Venables. He may be a 'good' head coach, but not a great one.
OU and OSU will end on the annual when OU leaves for the SEC. OU, has proven leadership at AD, and a president who wants to win. Venables is a wild card, but he has his head on straight, and I expect them to maintain themselves under him. They will be tougher defensively. Offensively, who knows, but Lebby is a pretty good OC. Texas doesn’t need anyone, really. Landmark school in a state with 25 million people. The Big 8 should have left them out, and taken TCU or Houston instead. They would have been better off. Texas will try to throw their weight around in the SEC as well, given time. OU lost a lot of firepower with transfers, and Lincoln Riley, but Venables, imo, was a good hire. We’ll see, but I’d bet he far exceeds what Frost has done, and everyone on this board thought that was a grand slam hire. Their move to the SEC will be challenging for sure.

2009 - Iowa State 7 to 9
2008 - Oklahoma 28 to 62
2008 - Missouri 17 to 52
2007 - 5 consecutive conference losses to MU, OkSt, aTm, UT and Kansas .. 39-76 to KANSAS!

2008, was Bo’s first year, cleaning up a huge mess. The team went 9-4. Iowa State, was on itself. 9 fumbles did them in. It could be argued, even with its offensive deficiencies, that by years end, the 2009 team, even with 4 losses, it was the best team in the country. .001, is why Nebraska left for the BIG, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. It’s NOT leaving if it wins that game, at least not when it did. Sure, there were other ramifications around that, but that was a huge part of it. They’d had enough. Alabama would have had it’s hands full with that team, if they’d have had an opportunity to play them. So again, 2007, back, yeah, they struggled.

2009 - Iowa State 7 to 9
2008 - Oklahoma 28 to 62
2008 - Missouri 17 to 52

Also, I believe that Oklahoma game was 35-0 in the first qtr. I was there. It was 14-0 in the first 2 minutes of that game. Played them even after that dreadful start. First play of the game was a swing pass pick 6. The 2008 team got better and better as that year progressed.

OU and OSU will end on the annual when OU leaves for the SEC. OU, has proven leadership at AD, and a president who wants to win. Venables is a wild card, but he has his head on straight, and I expect them to maintain themselves under him. They will be tougher defensively. Offensively, who knows, but Lebby is a pretty good OC. Texas doesn’t need anyone, really. Landmark school in a state with 25 million people. The Big 8 should have left them out, and taken TCU or Houston instead. They would have been better off. Texas will try to throw their weight around in the SEC as well, given time. OU lost a lot of firepower with transfers, and Lincoln Riley, but Venables, imo, was a good hire. We’ll see, but I’d bet he far exceeds what Frost has done, and everyone on this board thought that was a grand slam hire. Their move to the SEC will be challenging for sure.
I don't understand the comparison of Venables and Frost. That is out of left field. Do we have to take shots at Frost in every topic?

Venables is a life-long assistant coach who has never run a program. He's in his honeymoon period, but he isn't recruiting the kind of players he was coaching at Clemson. I'd much rather own stock in USC right now than in OU, if it came to that. I actually think Texas will have earlier success in the SEC than Oklahoma will have.

I don't understand the comparison of Venables and Frost. That is out of left field. Do we have to take shots at Frost in every topic?

Venables is a life-long assistant coach who has never run a program. He's in his honeymoon period, but he isn't recruiting the kind of players he was coaching at Clemson. I'd much rather own stock in USC right now than in OU, if it came to that. I actually think Texas will have earlier success in the SEC than Oklahoma will have.
Don’t be a homer. Frost had minimal HC experience. Venables has worked for Snyder, Stoops, and Swinney, and been successful everywhere he’s been. The comparison is very real imo. Disagree on Texas. They will struggle their asses off. OU doesn’t seem to be struggling in recruiting. You might wanna rethink that.

Last edited:

I don't like the Big10, and I prefer the Big12 over the Big10, but in the end it doesn't matter what I like and don't like.

It was mentioned the Big12 still might implode.... no it won't, they added a few more teams. They are not going anywhere.

in conclusion... it is worthless arguing about it, but some just like to argue.

Last edited:
Everybody says the move has hurt us in recruiting but has it really? we’ve recruited as well or better at least on paper than we did the last eight years or so of our time in the big 12.
A lot of it just depends on what metric you are using to measure recruiting. If you are just looking at stars and what recruiting services score us, it probably isn't that different (at least the last few years). Who those players turned out to become probably tells a slightly different story, but some of that is an indictment on our player development once they are here.

I agree, it isn't as big of a difference as some make it out to be, but I do think it has been more of a challenge.

The next change, which will happen before the end of the decade, will be even tougher. It also will seem like the only option, and the right thing to do.
I think I know what you are saying. Maybe? I'd love for us to test being an independent. But we never give up on the check.

Don’t be a homer. Frost had minimal HC experience. Venables has worked for Snyder, Stoops, and Swinney, and been successful everywhere he’s been. The comparison is very real imo. Disagree on Texas. They will struggle their asses off. OU doesn’t seem to be struggling in recruiting. You might wanna rethink that.

No, I’m saying that no one in Oklahoma will use Frost as a measuring stick for Venables. It’s a useless comparison because it means nothing. They expect to be competitive for the SEC. Those are the coaches he’ll be compared to. There is no reason to go out of your way to bring Frost’s tenure into this discussion about Oklahoma. Pretty much every other thread on here has that conversation. Too many folks here perseverating on the same point that it fogs up attempts at any other conversation.

I don’t want to get into a big discussion about recruiting, but OU is NOT getting the caliber of players that Dabo regularly attracts. I also think the Sooners have offered some guys that made me raise my eyebrows. But that stuff is so objective and so dependent on player development that I’ll concede I could be wrong about any of those individual offers. Time will tell. Heck, with the transfer portal who knows what the roster actually looks like in a couple years.

Also, I believe that Oklahoma game was 35-0 in the first qtr. I was there. It was 14-0 in the first 2 minutes of that game. Played them even after that dreadful start. First play of the game was a swing pass pick 6. The 2008 team got better and better as that year progressed.
None of that diminishes the embarassment of those losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back