• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chuck Neinas, great read, Nebraska and Missouri made mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
And BTW, it was petty, wrong, vindictive, and dishonest. That said, that’s why it happened, as wrong as it was.

I don’t disagree that a majority of this has been on NU. That said, it’s not really a fit either. No recruiting territory, no rivals, long travel, and couple that with ass whippings and the worst team in the conference doesn’t help either. Money wise, hell yeah, home run. Athletics wise, massive failure.
Those are all just excuses for the men in charge not getting the job done. Pelini did ok. Osborne wouldn't have missed a beat.

Not sure I agree ... I think Trev is a very thoughtful experienced AD. I think he bought himself a year to either make it work or move on from both. I think he made the finances palatable enough to pay SF-type money for the next guy (if necessary).
Fair enough. I think it's going to take more than Scott Frost money to get a seasoned, successful coach to come to NU.

As I know at least one other poster has mentioned (and I'm sure more), Nebraska in the Big XII as it was *might* have made more sense than being in the B1G. But, the landscape of conferences was going to change, and the B1G was no exception.

Texas and OU were looking to move before Nebraska left (they were ready to go the PAC10), which prompted them to look for a better fit. The Big XII was at one point on the brink of extinction, and still might be. Nebraska moved to a conference with more overall stability. From a conference standpoint alone, making the move was the right decision.

The bigger question is about whether it has hurt us in football. To a degree, yes. I think recruiting in the B1G is harder for Nebraska because we lost some of the pipelines to Texas. The competition is generally tougher in the B1G which makes getting to a bowl, even in a bad year tougher (no free wins against KU, ISU, etc.- granted many of the bad programs in the conference have improved since we left). Tougher competition shouldn't be viewed as a negative, though. A good football program would succeed even with the harder schedule.

Our biggest problems have not been tied to the conference change. The problems with Pelini were the same in both conferences- we could win the games we were supposed to win and would get laughed off the field in one to two games per year. Recruiting and player development went in the toilet under Riley. Frost came in and didn't realize how difficult the challenge at Nebraska would be.

The question ultimately comes down to would you rather be competing with schools like Ok State, TCU, BYU, Cincinnati *OR* Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. Are either a perfect fit? No. But I believe one is very clearly the better fit.

Colorado did nothing until Nebraska started flirting with the BIG.
Missouri was also sucking up to the B1G at the same time. Mizzou fans were mad we got in first. The Big XII was crumbling. TX was exerting its influence in the conference at the same time backstabbing its members by courting the PAC 10 and taking OU with it.

Not questioning the leadership. I was front and center of it in the beginning. Bad decisions were made. No question. Frost and Hoiberg weren’t some of them. They were unanimous hires that have both sucked. Most everyone liked Moos until the last 8-9 months of his tenure. The OU fiasco did him in, and of course, not being there much. Just today, I heard John Hoover, of Sooners SI, in Omaha covering OU in the WS, say, he’s talked to some local folks, and that Frost doesn’t even want to be here anymore, nor, is his head in it, so that could be another issue moving forward. What I’m saying is, Nebraska is not really a fit, athletically, in the BIG, and most nationally say the same thing. Has nothing to do with losing. That was going to happen in the Big 12, had the same decisions been made.
This kind of stuff is idiotic. Why would Frost willingly restructure his contract, forfeiting millions of dollars that were guaranteed to him, if he didn’t want to be in Nebraska? How would he dupe several experienced assistants from an array of secure situations to leave and join his staff at Nebraska if he gave off a sense of ‘not wanting to be here’? How would both portal and high school recruiting IMPROVE in both tempo and quality of players if he was looking for a way to exit?

Frost has made plenty of mistakes, and he’s had some well-earned criticism. But one thing that has never been in doubt is the fact that Nebraska means a lot to him. Maybe he’ll fail and this season will be another disappointment. But he bet heavily on himself with the revised contract.

And I’m sick of sanctimonious Big 12 media folks’ attempts to rewrite the history of the conference. Colorado was a done deal to leave the league before Nebraska committed to the Big 10. Texas could have embraced committing the media rights and a conference TV network with equity for all members. Tom asked for a 10 year contractual commitment. Texas refused, which was a clear signal they wanted a free hand to leave, not to mention the mess their Longhorn Network introduced. Ironically, the league DID have members commit media rights in a similar fashion after Missouri left. It’s the reason OU and Texas have such a high exit fee and appear poised to wait until 2025 rather than leaving early. The exit penalty has teeth precisely because they implemented what Tom Osborne had requested of them, which Deloss Dodds would not agree to at the time. Texas was asking everyone else to give assurances, but would not do so themselves.

Moreover, we can look back historically now and see exactly how foolish it would have been to stay in the Big 12. Nebraska’s struggles in the Big 10 have been self-inflicted. But it was poor leadership and bad hires, not the conference. The recruiting has been good enough to maintain a Top 25 caliber program. The fact that the program fell this far had more to do with other catastrophic mistakes which would have happened in the Big 12 too. It’s a false narrative that ‘losing Texas’ was the problem. Devaney and Osborne didn’t ‘have Texas’ when they built the program.

I sure don’t blame Frost for declining an interview with someone who would leak such unprofessional rumors in the heat of recruiting season. If you’re quoting accurately, I’d say he’s wise to ignore this Tulsa reporter.

Last edited:

"The University of Colorado in Boulder has had a long flirtation with the Pac-10 Conference. On December 23, 1994 it was reported that CU's Board of Regents formally rejected the invitation they had received from the conference by a 6-3 vote (5-4 according to some reports).

The reason for the rejection was that CU had already invested a great amount of time in helping the new Big 12 Conference to form. It was widely reported that the university president and many Regents would have accepted the invite at earlier times, but the investment in the formation of the Big 12 obligated the Buffs to see it through."

Last edited:
As I know at least one other poster has mentioned (and I'm sure more), Nebraska in the Big XII as it was *might* have made more sense than being in the B1G. But, the landscape of conferences was going to change, and the B1G was no exception.

Texas and OU were looking to move before Nebraska left (they were ready to go the PAC10), which prompted them to look for a better fit. The Big XII was at one point on the brink of extinction, and still might be. Nebraska moved to a conference with more overall stability. From a conference standpoint alone, making the move was the right decision.

The bigger question is about whether it has hurt us in football. To a degree, yes. I think recruiting in the B1G is harder for Nebraska because we lost some of the pipelines to Texas. The competition is generally tougher in the B1G which makes getting to a bowl, even in a bad year tougher (no free wins against KU, ISU, etc.- granted many of the bad programs in the conference have improved since we left). Tougher competition shouldn't be viewed as a negative, though. A good football program would succeed even with the harder schedule.

Our biggest problems have not been tied to the conference change. The problems with Pelini were the same in both conferences- we could win the games we were supposed to win and would get laughed off the field in one to two games per year. Recruiting and player development went in the toilet under Riley. Frost came in and didn't realize how difficult the challenge at Nebraska would be.

The question ultimately comes down to would you rather be competing with schools like Ok State, TCU, BYU, Cincinnati *OR* Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State. Are either a perfect fit? No. But I believe one is very clearly the better fit.
Everybody says the move has hurt us in recruiting but has it really? we’ve recruited as well or better at least on paper than we did the last eight years or so of our time in the big 12.

Thank God NU moved to the B1G. If we were currently in the Big XII with our record and year over year ineptitude and UT and OU moving to the SEC, we would be stuck in the Big XII that is really just the AAC version 2.0.

Not to mention the terrible TV deal the Big 12 had. How quickly we forget how many ppv conference games we had, and that's when NU was pretty good.

It’s right up and down the I35 corridor. The Big 12 you could drive to almost any game. Now, only Iowa is close. The BIG is nowhere near the geographical fit the Big 12 was. Don’t forget the nearly 100 years of history either. Also, lost having a Texas based recruiting pipeline as well.
From a 10 year league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back