• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chuck Neinas, great read, Nebraska and Missouri made mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wouldn’t of. I said so the day he was hired. Dude sucks, and always has. Maybe Riley never happens, or Opey Taylor if Nebraska doesn’t change conferences. Who knows. And why the hell is anyone even arguing this. I guess Bo did have NU at least tolerable, so there is that. It was the right move for $$$ and academics. Athletically? Not so much. College football is about done anyways so it’s probably not going to matter in due time.
First of all, it's wouldn't have, "wouldn't of" makes no grammatical sense. Pet peeve.

Second, is it the coaches that we've hired or the conference that has caused us to struggle? Because you are all over the place.

Last edited:

It was definitely a mistake from an athletic standpoint. You can make all the excuses you want, what was it I said that is untrue? All of it is true. That said, I understand why the move was made, but I’d bet that if .001 wasn’t put back on that clock, they’d have never left.
Wow

1. Never made excuses for anything
2. Opinions are opinions. Facts are typically measureable. "A good fit" isn't universally defined so it can't be measured.
3. The 1 second had ZERO impact. Perlman wanted the academic prestige, Osborne wanted the stability, and the Board of Regents wanted the cash. So, you're WRONG.

I agree with most of what he said. I’m sure many here will argue it, but the BIG has been a horrible fit for the Huskers athletically and it can’t even be argued. They did fatten their wallets though, straight to irrelevance.

The "downfall" or poor performance athletically had less with the move to the B1G and more to do with our leadership transitions in the athletic department and the poor hiring decisions they've made regarding football and basketball.

There was probably due to be bumps and bruises transitioning into the B1G even if TO was the head coach but the Bo Pelini, Shawn Eichorst, Mike Riley, Scot Frost, Bill Moos, Tim Miles, Fred Hoiberg hiring decisions have all been questionable at best. That doesn't even address the pre-B1G hires that have started this mess - Steve Pederson, Bill Callahan, Doc Sadler.

That doesn't even address the leadership of the AD's boss who are the real culprit in getting us into this mess!

Women's Basketball and Volleyball are examples of sports where NU is doing well. Excellent coaches.

The "downfall" or poor performance athletically had less with the move to the B1G and more to do with our leadership transitions in the athletic department and the poor hiring decisions they've made regarding football and basketball.

There was probably due to be bumps and bruises transitioning into the B1G even if TO was the head coach but the Bo Pelini, Shawn Eichorst, Mike Riley, Scot Frost, Bill Moos, Tim Miles, Fred Hoiberg hiring decisions have all been questionable at best. That doesn't even address the pre-B1G hires that have started this mess - Steve Pederson, Bill Callahan, Doc Sadler.

That doesn't even address the leadership of the AD's boss who are the real culprit in getting us into this mess!

Women's Basketball and Volleyball are examples of sports where NU is doing well. Excellent coaches.
NU has always been reluctant to shell out $$$ for experienced coaches. Frost and Hoiberg were paid well but have been unmitigated disasters; Frost I'll contend because he had more confidence than experience. It's going to take a ton of money to compete with the top tier of the B1G and I just think NU doesn't have it in them to part with that much cash.

NU has always been reluctant to shell out $$$ for experienced coaches. Frost and Hoiberg were paid well but have been unmitigated disasters; Frost I'll contend because he had more confidence than experience. It's going to take a ton of money to compete with the top tier of the B1G and I just think NU doesn't have it in them to part with that much cash.
Not sure I agree ... I think Trev is a very thoughtful experienced AD. I think he bought himself a year to either make it work or move on from both. I think he made the finances palatable enough to pay SF-type money for the next guy (if necessary).

First of all, it's wouldn't have, "wouldn't of" makes no grammatical sense. Pet peeve.

Second, is it the coaches that we've hired or the conference that has caused us to struggle? Because you are all over the place.
Look dude, I think there are many variables as to why NU has struggled. All I’m saying is, the fit is not there. Bo competed ok. So it can be done. Having no rival has been a factor since 1996. Losing somewhat of at least a semblance of a recruiting base doesn’t help either. Looks like some of that may be coming back. Maybe it’s just because I hate the BIG and always have. I will add, nationally, outside of Nebraska’s fan base, not many feel like it was a great idea, at least from an athletic standpoint.

Wow

1. Never made excuses for anything
2. Opinions are opinions. Facts are typically measureable. "A good fit" isn't universally defined so it can't be measured.
3. The 1 second had ZERO impact. Perlman wanted the academic prestige, Osborne wanted the stability, and the Board of Regents wanted the cash. So, you're WRONG.
Osborne did what he was told, then he was pushed out. .001 did matter. Nebraska wasn’t leaving, at least then, if they win that game.

Not questioning the leadership. I was front and center of it in the beginning. Bad decisions were made. No question. Frost and Hoiberg weren’t some of them. They were unanimous hires that have both sucked. Most everyone liked Moos until the last 8-9 months of his tenure. The OU fiasco did him in, and of course, not being there much. Just today, I heard John Hoover, of Sooners SI, in Omaha covering OU in the WS, say, he’s talked to some local folks, and that Frost doesn’t even want to be here anymore, nor, is his head in it, so that could be another issue moving forward. What I’m saying is, Nebraska is not really a fit, athletically, in the BIG, and most nationally say the same thing. Has nothing to do with losing. That was going to happen in the Big 12, had the same decisions been made.

Not questioning the leadership. I was front and center of it in the beginning. Bad decisions were made. No question. Frost and Hoiberg weren’t some of them. They were unanimous hires that have both sucked. Most everyone liked Moos until the last 8-9 months of his tenure. The OU fiasco did him in, and of course, not being there much. Just today, I heard John Hoover, of Sooners SI, in Omaha covering OU in the WS, say, he’s talked to some local folks, and that Frost doesn’t even want to be here anymore, nor, is his head in it, so that could be another issue moving forward. What I’m saying is, Nebraska is not really a fit, athletically, in the BIG, and most nationally say the same thing. Has nothing to do with losing. That was going to happen in the Big 12, had the same decisions been made.
I understand your arguments but NU didn’t really fit the new look Big 12. It’s not even the Texas-bullying which in itself is reason enough to leave.

Culturally Nebraskans are closer to Iowans than Kansans or Missourians. Having lived in Wisconsin for 40+ years I can attest that there is plenty of commonality there.

The B1G is about conservatism. It’s about tradition. Even in this era of change they’ve still embraced a one for all - all for one mantra. As critical as we are of the B1G for its COVID response at least it shows they weren’t going to let outliers do their own thing.

The B1G represents stability. Nothing about the B12 ever screamed stability.

As much as we dislike tOSU they’re the standard bearer for our conference. They’re Texas’s equal and then some. No one thinks realistically that tOSU is leaving the B1G. Texas and OU were potentially off to the PAC and now SEC. Texas has so much internal politics with many boosters of substance trying to exert their will on the internal comings and goings that they reduced the football program to a has-been level.

We could play the “What if …” scenario with the “what could’ve happened if NU had stayed”. I also truly believe if NU hadn’t left for the B1G … Missouri would’ve gladly done so.

Pal, you are spot on. Nebraska hasn’t measured up physically since they joined the league. Until the get the toughness back from the last century they will never be back.
They are soft for sure. Toms teams would have dominated this league, including Ohio State. This team hasn’t been tough since 1999.

I understand your arguments but NU didn’t really fit the new look Big 12. It’s not even the Texas-bullying which in itself is reason enough to leave.

Culturally Nebraskans are closer to Iowans than Kansans or Missourians. Having lived in Wisconsin for 40+ years I can attest that there is plenty of commonality there.

The B1G is about conservatism. It’s about tradition. Even in this era of change they’ve still embraced a one for all - all for one mantra. As critical as we are of the B1G for its COVID response at least it shows they weren’t going to let outliers do their own thing.

The B1G represents stability. Nothing about the B12 ever screamed stability.

As much as we dislike tOSU they’re the standard bearer for our conference. They’re Texas’s equal and then some. No one thinks realistically that tOSU is leaving the B1G. Texas and OU were potentially off to the PAC and now SEC. Texas has so much internal politics with many boosters of substance trying to exert their will on the internal comings and goings that they reduced the football program to a has-been level.

We could play the “What if …” scenario with the “what could’ve happened if NU had stayed”. I also truly believe if NU hadn’t left for the B1G … Missouri would’ve gladly done so.
Not sure all those options would have been available had NU not left. They started the ball rolling by leaving, and is was abrupt, and fast. Then others panicked. The Big 12 would have been better off replacing Texas with TCU. Osborne warned everyone, no one would listen. I keep saying that, but it’s the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back