• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chris Ash Fired

Seems like the tendency is if you know they will be out at the end of season, why wait. Sounds like Schiano is the man, but if he wasn't Rutgers would be first in line to interview a new coach.

Tennessee should have taken Schiano... too late lol
Ash seems like a good guy but with his record... maybe Riley would look like an upgrade :)

Schiano is a jerk. Here is an article that summarizes his failed effort as head coach in the NFL.
"How bad is it there? It's worse than you can imagine," says one NFL player who spent 2012 with the Bucs. "It's like being in Cuba."
Several current Bucs players describe a similarly bleak environment in which the all-powerful, unyielding Schiano spews tone-deaf platitudes while demonstrating the personal charm of "Homeland" character Nicholas Brody.
None of this is a surprise to people in NFL scouting circles, who came to dread their visits to Rutgers when Schiano was coaching there from 2001 to 2011. As I wrote last September, such encounters were, in the words of one NFC personnel executive, "pure misery."
One veteran NFL coach told me then: "It's his way or (expletive) you. He needs to back up a little bit, or he's going to have a very hard time in this league over the long haul."

The attendance at Rutgers home games has been steadily decreasing. From a Rutgers chat I read that there were as few as 8,000 to 10,000 people attending the last game. Even if the actual number of fans were twice those estimates that's alarming for a Big10 team. This is accompanied by past donors saying they would never give another dollar as long as Ash was coach. Simply put, finances forced the mid-season firing. Waiting until the end of the season was no longer a viable option.

Schiano is a jerk. Here is an article that summarizes his failed effort as head coach in the NFL.
might be a jerk, but he did pretty good at Rutgers the previous time he was there.

The attendance at Rutgers home games has been steadily decreasing. From a Rutgers chat I read that there were as few as 8,000 to 10,000 people attending the last game. Even if the actual number of fans were twice those estimates that's alarming for a Big10 team. This is accompanied by past donors saying they would never give another dollar as long as Ash was coach. Simply put, finances forced the mid-season firing. Waiting until the end of the season was no longer a viable option.
People will make that argument. In my mind, if the donors are driving the change (and the timing), the wrong people are in control of the program. We had that situation at NU for a while -- and look where it got us.

I found it interesting that the AD was talking like RU is one of the premier jobs in the country.

Aside from the financial issue, Ash's career started with him ignoring some of the traditions that Rutgers grads embrace. Sound familiar? Also, his recruiting was weak to say the least. Other Big10 schools routinely grabbed the best athletes from New Jersey. With little more than 2 and 3 star athletes, Ash's miserable won/lost record really shouldn't have been a surprise. There was little in the football program that fans could point to with pride or feel that things were improving. The general belief among fans was that Ash should have been fired at the end of last season, but the low attendance and the blowout by Michigan sealed his fate.

There's a feeling among many fans that Schiano should be brought back, but I feel its questionable whether his limited success while Rutgers was in the Big East is readily transferrable to immediate success in the Big10. We are witness to the fact that success in the AAC isn't automatically transferable to immediate success in the Big10. Hopefully for Rutgers, AD Hobbs uses outside head hunters to find a good coach rather than Hobbs' one man search that resulted in Ash's hiring. Rutgers financial status is very iffy, so the money for an experienced competent coach may not be available. There are supposedly some big donors willing to foot the bill, but that has yet to be proven.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back