• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chip Kelly to Ohio State as OC

If you're unhappy with your job, you can leave and take a new job without punishment.

The company I left in March of last year was so awful to work with/for they had most of their salaried management staff on contracts. You leave before the end date on your contract and you owed any 'signing' bonus back in full, plus you couldn't work for another construction firm within 250 miles of their closest office. Most 'Right to Work' states you can beat that piece, but it's going to mean you're going to have to hire a lawyer and spend a bunch of money to fight it since you signed the contract.

On NIL and coaches, I do think there should be some stipulations in both contracts regarding early termination by the signee. Most coaches have a buyout clause, but they end up just rolling that into their contract with the new school and it's no skin off their back. I'd like to see something similar with NIL. Leave and you owe a prorated portion of your NIL deal if you've left in under a year.

What a topsy-turvy world we live in … Bill O’Brien leaves tOSU OC to become Boston College HC. Chip Kelly leaves UCLA HC to become tOSU OC.

UCLA does have financial issues being a state university in CA. They owe Cal a buyout fee. I believe they’re running a deficit in the athletic department.
And the Boston College HC started this merry go round when he left to become an OC in the NFL.

One analysis of the first move was NIL has completely changed the role of the NCAA head coach.

Chalk Harbaugh back to NFL as part of this trend. Yeah, there were lots of reasons, but College coaching has become far more fraught than any other level.

Last edited:
technically thats not true. he does owe them a buyout fee. i think the buyout fees are stupid. if UCLA fires him, they owe him like 8.5 mill, but if he walks away, he only owes them 1.5 mill. those numbers need to be much closer...
Something tells me UCLA was glad to waive the buyout fee. There had to have been some negotiation. Kelly was on his last leg there.

Players have lots of options. Make better, more educated decisions on where to go to school. Make better decisions, not impulsive ones, because, everyone’s doing it, you know?
Maybe they are making better decisions. Maybe after 1year they have more data and experience to be better informed and want to change. I think most of us have made changes in life for the better. Do we always critique ourselves and apply a penalty to ourselves for not have initially made the best decision?

There is punishment, A LARGE BUYOUT EXISTS. Maybe, since these players are pros now, ya know, getting paid (they wanted this), they need a penalty as well? Instead of millions, how about you sit your ass down for a year, and by golly, you can transfer whenever the freak you want? So, instead of millions you pay to leave, you sit? See how that works brotha?
What penalty do coaches pay? The buyout fees are paid by the school. Nevertheless to believe the penalty should be sitting a year because you had signed a 1 year ncaa scholarship contract while a coach under a 4 year 20 mil contract can just up and go with no personal penalty is absurd.

And the Boston College HC started this merry go round when he left to become an OC in the NFL.

One analysis of the first move was NIL has completely changed the role of the NCAA head coach.

Chalk Harbaugh back to NFL as part of this trend. Yeah, there were lots of reasons, but College coaching has become far more fraught than any other level.
Yep, buck stops here, and as everyone has mentioned, like it or not, there's now lotsa bucks in cfb.

Something tells me UCLA was glad to waive the buyout fee. There had to have been some negotiation. Kelly was on his last leg there.
they are a public university so my guess is someone will make a records request to find out what the terms of separation ended up being. especially considering UCLA's fragile financial position.

Maybe they are making better decisions. Maybe after 1year they have more data and experience to be better informed and want to change. I think most of us have made changes in life for the better. Do we always critique ourselves and apply a penalty to ourselves for not have initially made the best decision?
No, but try telling your parents as a regular student you want to transfer after one year. Most parents, especially the ones paying for it would say, nah, you’re sticking it out. Rash decisions, most often, are poor ones.

What penalty do coaches pay? The buyout fees are paid by the school. Nevertheless to believe the penalty should be sitting a year because you had signed a 1 year ncaa scholarship contract while a coach under a 4 year 20 mil contract can just up and go with no personal penalty is absurd.
It’s still a penalty, a huge one, regardless of who pays it. Millions. I can’t believe any logical person, thinks unlimited transfers is a good idea.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back