• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Chip Kelly close to deal to become Tampa Bay Bucs Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Money DOES talk, Chip could be on his way to Lincoln if TO was so inclined. Oh well, there more elite coaching fish in the sea than Mr. Kelly, we'll snag one yet.
Unless we wrote him a huge check i kinda doubt this would happen...
it is kinda odd to me that an nfl team is interested in kelly. He's an offensive guru but his offense involves a lot of QB runs....something NFL doesn't like to do. It'll be interesting to see if he runs his spread option in the nfl. Freeman might be able to do it. I figured maybe an nfl would want to see if Saban would like to try the NFL again...Maybe Saban's not interested in that though and he does have it pretty good in Alabama right now.

I'd like to see if we can land Frost in some fashion...

PHP:
Unless we wrote him a huge check i kinda doubt this would happen...
it is kinda odd to me that an nfl team is interested in kelly. He's an offensive guru but his offense involves a lot of QB runs....something NFL doesn't like to do. It'll be interesting to see if he runs his spread option in the nfl. Freeman might be able to do it. I figured maybe an nfl would want to see if Saban would like to try the NFL again...Maybe Saban's not interested in that though and he does have it pretty good in Alabama right now.

I'd like to see if we can land Frost in some fashion...

Agree Kelly to the NFL seems odd

Frost will come to NU only after a coaching change.............and not the Oregon change

Money DOES talk, Chip could be on his way to Lincoln if TO was so inclined. Oh well, there more elite coaching fish in the sea than Mr. Kelly, we'll snag one yet.

I can honestly say that if Kelly came to NU I would be getting some heavy medications to cope. I think with James leaving and the Seastrunk fiasco he is deciding to grab the eject lever and bail out (I think he made $800k more than Morris did so it is not all about the money). I think more teams in the pack 12 were going to figure his offense out in the next couple of years and defense wasn't that good

PHP:

Frost will come to NU only after a coaching change.............and not the Oregon change

I hope he stays in the NFL for many years. College ball is better without him IMHO.

I'm not sure we will ever see Frost here. Seems to want to grow without NU.

Last edited:

Completely agree.

There is no way Scott Frost comes to Nebraska unless, at the very least, Tim Beck is no longer on staff. Oregon will attract a lot of interest from bigger name coaches but Frost will probably be in the mix to be their HC. If Frost isn't named HC at Oregon (and that's not likely) he'll be named OC at a BCS school somewhere. There is zero way Frost comes to Nebraska for anything less than the OC spot. He had that opportunity once and turned it down.

false alarm... CK audibled

Chip Kelly turns down Bucs, GM says

Oregon coach Chip Kelly has decided not to take an offer from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to fill their head-coaching vacancy, Tampa Bay's general manager said.
"His heart is with college football and Oregon and he's no longer being considered,'' Mark Dominik said Monday, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Kelly and the Bucs had been deep in the process of finishing a deal Sunday night.

Kelly, who interviewed with the Buccaneers last week, had been intrigued by the challenge of coaching at the highest level and not having to deal with parents and the NCAA oversights that are inherent to coaching in college, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

While former USC coach Pete Carroll left the Trojans to coach the Seattle Seahawks in January 2010 shortly before an NCAA report for sanctions under Carroll's watch, the source told Schad that Kelly and Oregon were not anticipating heavy sanctions from the NCAA's inquiry into the school's relationship with alleged street agent Willie Lyles.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...mpa-bay-buccaneers-offer-general-manager-says

Last edited:

false alarm... CK audibled

I think that should properly read "Phil Knight made a phone call." ;)

Either today or tomorrow I'm quite sure Oregon will announce a new contract for Kelly that makes him one of the top two highest paid coaches in CFB. It's kind of amazing how Oregon has gone from also ran in the 80s and 90s to top five and a lot of the reason why is the Nike money flow.

Last edited:

I think that should properly read "Phil Knight made a phone call." ;)

Either today or tomorrow I'm quite sure Oregon will announce a new contract for Kelly that makes him one of the top two highest paid coaches in CFB.

;) :Biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back