• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chili

Don't disagree. Quality ingredients, a good set of knives and a garlic press. How in the name of sweet baby Jesus did people cook without a garlic press in the olden days. I'm in the same boat. No one will ever mistake me for an award winning chef, but you'll not starve at my house.

I don't use a garlic press. Got ride of it after my first knife skills class. Try chopping the clove up and then using the side of the blade to press it out. You get a lot of control over your garlic press. If you dice it you get a finer paste while a rough chops leaves some texture. I have found dice and paste is better when mixing it with other ingredients first while rough chop and press is better for rubbing or season a pan.

Beef stock is too strong. A chicken stock base is more clean and nuetral, lets the spices stand out and really pop. It's just my preference, but a lot of chili competition guys use it as well.

Try some homemade vegetable stock instead. A friend of mine use to make veg stock for use in stuff like chili, BBQ sauce/brine, etc. He would throw in unused parts of peppers so it had a little heat to begin with. He reduced it more than he would chicken or beef...He passed on a few years ago, kept all his recipes in his head...miss him, we always eat well and I was amazed at how he didn't waste anything and could produce a feast from next to nothing.

As a Joke a number of years ago I entered Wendy's chili in a departmental chili cook off. I went and bought the extra large (family size) container. Put it in my crock pot. Passed it off as my family recipe. Won second place.

At the time my wife worked for Wendy's corporate and I was friends with Mr Thomas so...it wasn't really to much of a stench.

How many fingertips did it come with? Did you add extra?

A guy I know said that was a waste of a beer...

I once boiled the ground beef in beer. It was ok. I've added beer to the base...I think it turns out better if you drink the beer with the chili.

You have to have to simmer it for several hours to get all the water it, but in my opinion it adds a heaviness that is impossible to duplicate with broth.

A guy I know said that was a waste of a beer...

I once boiled the ground beef in beer. It was ok. I've added beer to the base...I think it turns out better if you drink the beer with the chili.

LOL. I've tried it with stout and lager. Both were very good.

You have to have to simmer it for several hours to get all the water it, but in my opinion it adds a heaviness that is impossible to duplicate with broth.

Absolutely, you want distill that flavor. Ever try it with Guinness draft?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back