• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chili

They had it on sale for $9.99 a lb. The Bison we were gonna buy, was also $9.99 a lb. so we figured might as well go with the Kobe. This was the sauce we used on the burger.
712NUsPcMYL._SY679_.jpg

Along with crisp applewood smoked bacon, heirloom tomatoes, cracked black pepper, fresh crushed garlic, red onions, Havarti cheese, topped with lettuce and Kosher pickle chips, on whole wheat buns. Man, they were a tasty treat for sure. The Elijah's isn't over the top hot. In fact, it's actually fairly mild considering they use the Carolina Reaper pepper, but it's got a great flavor with Black Cherries, Cranberries, the CRP and a splash of Kentucky Bourbon. I went back to get more of the Kobe, but they had sold all of it, just hoping that they get more.

I have done fire roasted peppers with venison and that is really hard to beat

I was just remembering an antelope chili I did a few years back. Antelope meat is fairly grainy and I'd never had much success seasoning it, but for some reason this one batch was freaking awesome. I've done chili with pheasant drums and back meat as well and it's pretty damned good. Almost always the same base of roasted tomatoes, peppers and garlic. I get a little carried away from time to time with the ancho chili's, but it is chili after all...

They had it on sale for $9.99 a lb. The Bison we were gonna buy, was also $9.99 a lb. so we figured might as well go with the Kobe. This was the sauce we used on the burger.
712NUsPcMYL._SY679_.jpg

Along with crisp applewood smoked bacon, heirloom tomatoes, cracked black pepper, fresh crushed garlic, red onions, Havarti cheese, topped with lettuce and Kosher pickle chips, on whole wheat buns. Man, they were a tasty treat for sure. The Elijah's isn't over the top hot. In fact, it's actually fairly mild considering they use the Carolina Reaper pepper, but it's got a great flavor with Black Cherries, Cranberries, the CRP and a splash of Kentucky Bourbon. I went back to get more of the Kobe, but they had sold all of it, just hoping that they get more.

That sounds delicious.

No I don't peel them. I blend them down to a paste and mix it in. Every now and then I'll get a bite of charred chili skin, but I like it.

Same here, that's exactly how I do it. I remember one time where I told myself that I was going to do the saran wrap over the bowl/steam the skin off. That is not as easy as it looks on tv. My impairment level probably didn't help either.

I'm seeing some good tips that I want to incorporate sometime.

Personally, I like using a 50/50 ground beef to sirloin blend for my meat. I also use chicken stock, but I think that may be pretty common.

Speaking of hot sauces, I had a Mexican coworker bring me back some extra picante pepper sauce made by La Anita when he was down in Mexico a few months ago. It's amazing, and the whole bottle is gone. I don't see it in Jacobos or the Supermercado here in Omaha, it looks like I'm going to have to have it shipped here, or pick up several bottles when I go down to Monterrey early next year.

Last edited:

That was my dad's recipe. Couldn't argue with the consistency in the results.

As a Joke a number of years ago I entered Wendy's chili in a departmental chili cook off. I went and bought the extra large (family size) container. Put it in my crock pot. Passed it off as my family recipe. Won second place.

At the time my wife worked for Wendy's corporate and I was friends with Mr Thomas so...it wasn't really to much of a stench.

As a Joke a number of years ago I entered Wendy's chili in a departmental chili cook off. I went and bought the extra large (family size) container. Put it in my crock pot. Passed it off as my family recipe. Won second place.

At the time my wife worked for Wendy's corporate and I was friends with Mr Thomas so...it wasn't really to much of a stench.

I was always getting beat in a yearly company Green Chili cook-off when I lived in Denver. Always second or third place and always the same guy winning. Must be your relative. He'd buy Green Chili from the best mexican place in town and smoke our butts. His wife got hammered at one of the Christmas parties and outed him when he got too friendly with a secretary.

The year before I went Wendy's I cooked my own recipe only to get beat by a guy that admitted he just used a pre-package mix. He got first and I got second. At least when I got second for Wendy's chili the guy that beat me had made his own from scratch.

Tell you what fresh ingredients cover a multiple of sins in the kitchen. When I am really cooking for friends and guest I don't skimp on crappy ingredients. My skills are ok but using good stuff makes you look like a cooking star.

(Oh and a good knife skill course makes life so much easier in the kitchen)

The year before I went Wendy's I cooked my own recipe only to get beat by a guy that admitted he just used a pre-package mix. He got first and I got second. At least when I got second for Wendy's chili the guy that beat me had made his own from scratch.

Tell you what fresh ingredients cover a multiple of sins in the kitchen. When I am really cooking for friends and guest I don't skimp on crappy ingredients. My skills are ok but using good stuff makes you look like a cooking star.

(Oh and a good knife skill course makes life so much easier in the kitchen)

Don't disagree. Quality ingredients, a good set of knives and a garlic press. How in the name of sweet baby Jesus did people cook without a garlic press in the olden days. I'm in the same boat. No one will ever mistake me for an award winning chef, but you'll not starve at my house.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back