• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chili

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
I've been tinkering with a chili recipe and made what I think was my best effort so far, last weekend. I fire roasted a variety of chilis and blended them for the base and went from there. I thought it was already really good when it occurred to me that I had several pounds of pulled pork in the freezer so I grabbed a pound of that and threw it in there. I can't describe just how good it was but man, that smoky layer of flavor took it over the top. On the side, I found an old-school recipe for cast iron skillet corn bread. Good stuff.

I recently won a chili contest at my church by fire roasting garlic, fresh garden tomatoes and 4 kinds of peppers (also from my garden) and blending them together for a base.

Then I used 4 different meats and my secret blend of spices. Works every time.

I recently won a chili contest at my church by fire roasting garlic, fresh garden tomatoes and 4 kinds of peppers (also from my garden) and blending them together for a base.

Then I used 4 different meats and my secret blend of spices. Works every time.

Excellent. That fire roasting adds another layer. Do you people your chilis after you roast them?

My mother made a really unique chili. She just passed recently. I hope I can find the recipe in her ridiculous amount of unorganized recipe books.

I've been tinkering with a chili recipe and made what I think was my best effort so far, last weekend. I fire roasted a variety of chilis and blended them for the base and went from there. I thought it was already really good when it occurred to me that I had several pounds of pulled pork in the freezer so I grabbed a pound of that and threw it in there. I can't describe just how good it was but man, that smoky layer of flavor took it over the top. On the side, I found an old-school recipe for cast iron skillet corn bread. Good stuff.
I may never know, but the way you talk about cooking, it sounds like you are a really good cook. There is nothing like a really good, spicy chilli on a cold evening. I can honestly say, I've never had chilli with pulled pork, and now, all I can say is, I want to try that.

I may never know, but the way you talk about cooking, it sounds like you are a really good cook. There is nothing like a really good, spicy chilli on a cold evening. I can honestly say, I've never had chilli with pulled pork, and now, all I can say is, I want to try that.

Nah man, I'm a hack. I just like to eat.

Nah man, I'm a hack. I just like to eat.
HA! Me too. Hey, if you are interested, me and my son experimented a little bit last week, and came up with Kobe beef burgers. I'll post the ingredients we used. A local grocer actually has some really good Kobe beef(we were going to use Bison, until we saw the Kobe) and the results were excellent.

For real?
I already got all the ingredients for that if true.

For real, we had a chili contest at work and one of the guys brought it in and it was pretty good... think about it, a lot of people put chocolate into tomato sauce based foods like chili and pasta sauce to give it a hint of a Mole' flavor and if you use sweet chocolate a sweet/hot flavor. There are lots of tequila chili recipes and many more rattlesnake chili recipes, why not combine them?

He took a base tequila chili recipe, put in chocolate and used rattlesnake for the meat, I have to say it was good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/140099/tequila-chili/

HA! Me too. Hey, if you are interested, me and my son experimented a little bit last week, and came up with Kobe beef burgers. I'll post the ingredients we used. A local grocer actually has some really good Kobe beef(we were going to use Bison, until we saw the Kobe) and the results were excellent.

I guarantee you they were. :Drool:If you don't mind my asking, what'd you pay for a pound of that stuff?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back