• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Chili recipes

HUSKERinKC

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
I am looking for a good chili recipe. We like it thick and with some spice. Meaty and not soupy. Anyone care to share a good recipe?

I am going to try out a new one this weekend. I am going to actually start from scratch and build something new (for me) from the ground up...All I know right now is it is going to have brazed short rib as the meat...working on the recipe tonight and tomorrow...cooking for Sunday lunch.

The Wife™ said she is going to contribute jalapeño corn bread to the meal...might fry up some apple slices or a mango salad on the side.

Tonight I am trying out a salmon recipe for something we might make for my parents for Christmas eve, roasted mustard salmon with a lingonberry sauce.

The Salmon was great...The Chili dinner was put off until after Thanksgiving. Got called out of town so I couldn't justify making chili if I wasn't going to be around to enjoy it.

Ok I am feel much better. Planning on knocking the new chili recipes later this week.

Happy to be back!

(spent the evening in the kitchen...roasted 2 chickens, stripped and vacuum sealed the meat in portions, prepped everything to make chicken stock tomorrow morning...now will I just make chicken soup for lunch or tortilla soup).

I have used this as my "chasis" for my chili.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/detail.aspx

I mix and match and add and subtract depending on what my taste buds are telling me to do for that day. But I've found its got a pretty good base to it.

I will have to give that one a shot. I use this as a base quite often. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/meaty-thick-man-chili/
I add ground turkey, sausage and grilled chicken in place of some of the ground beef.

Techinically not a traditional chili recipe but never lasts long at any party I have taken it too.
I bastardized a New Mexico Green Chili recipe

5 pounds of beef--I use sirloin Could use pork for more authentic
4 cloves garlic
1 onion
2 cans tomatoes crushed 28 oz
2-3 cups of green chile-I use Hatch Keep the seeds in if you want increased heat. If you use anaheim or poblano you will need to add a serrano or other hot pepper to boost the heat.
5lbs potatoes cubed
Salt and pepper
Couple cups of water if looks to thick

I start on the stove top in large Dutch oven. I start with the beef and keep adding items in order until everything is in the pot. Put in oven 3-5 hrs at 225.

I've never made the same chili twice. But here are my staples:

I almost always start with a mixture of half ground beef/half spicy italian sausage. Usually about a pound and a half total.

I usually go with 1 large onion, 1 green pepper, 1 red or yellow pepper, at least 5 cloves of garlic, and 2 or 3 jalapenos, with or without seeds depending on how hot I want to make it.

Some people use beer to thin up their chili, and I do occasionally do as well. But more often than not, I use spicy V8.

1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes.

2 14 ounce cans of spicy chili beans. I don't add these until about 45 minutes before the chili is ready to serve.

I use a lot of chili powder. At least 1/4 cup, closer to 1/2 a cup.

Other spices: seasoning salt, garlic powder, pepper, brown sugar (or molasses), cumin, worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce (Tabasco or Louisiana).

If I want to balance the heat with a little bit of tang, I will add a little bit of apple cider vinegar. Be advised that a little bit goes a very long way.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back