• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charles Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCHusker

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
I live in the OKC area and Charles Thompson has a radio show in the mornings on one of sports talk stations. I was driving home this afternoon and one of the other hosts had Thompson on as a guest. I turned it on right as the host asked Thompson his thoughts on the Nebraska program now that he has spent time around the coaches and the school and also asked why he thought Scott Frost has not had success. A few of Thompson's thoughts:

1. Mostly blamed the lack of talent on the team for the record.
  2. Said that if Frost wasn't a Husker lifer that he would probably already be fired.
  3. Liked the additions from the portal.
  4. Thinks that they should win at least 7 or 8.
  5. Said he doesn't think 6 wins would be enough for Frost to get another year.
  6. Talked a little bit about Nebraska recruiting and said not having a Texas recruiting pipeline hurts them. Said he talked to Broderick Thomas and Thomas says the same thing. He said with A&M in the SEC and OU/Texas going there it will make it harder for Nebraska to recruit Texas.
  7. Really praised Mickey Joseph and also said Applewhite will help them on the recruiting trail
I was kind of struck by the fact that he wasn't singing Frost's praises but in all fairness he could've been wearing his analyst hat instead of dad hat. Also thought it was strange that they would commit to Nebraska with Casey having two years of eligibility if he had questions about Frost's future at the school (again maybe being the analyst and not the dad/fan).

He watches a lot of film with Casey. He said they do it during the season and after the season. He did say that Sarkisian is a great offensive play caller.

I live in the OKC area and Charles Thompson has a radio show in the mornings on one of sports talk stations. I was driving home this afternoon and one of the other hosts had Thompson on as a guest. I turned it on right as the host asked Thompson his thoughts on the Nebraska program now that he has spent time around the coaches and the school and also asked why he thought Scott Frost has not had success. A few of Thompson's thoughts:

2. Said that if Frost wasn't a Husker lifer that he would probably already be fired.
  6. Talked a little bit about Nebraska recruiting and said not having a Texas recruiting pipeline hurts them. Said he talked to Broderick Thomas and Thomas says the same thing. He said with A&M in the SEC and OU/Texas going there it will make it harder for Nebraska to recruit Texas.
  7. Really praised Mickey Joseph and also said Applewhite will help them on the recruiting trail
I was kind of struck by the fact that he wasn't singing Frost's praises but in all fairness he could've been wearing his analyst hat instead of dad hat. Also thought it was strange that they would commit to Nebraska with Casey having two years of eligibility if he had questions about Frost's future at the school (again maybe being the analyst and not the dad/fan).

He watches a lot of film with Casey. He said they do it during the season and after the season. He did say that Sarkisian is a great offensive play caller.
It would be tough for Trev to fire Frost after he qualifies for his first bowl game. Going from 3 to 6 wins is progress ( not as much as fans want) and I’m not sure you want to tear this down and start over again. There’s not too many seniors especially on offense and the defense should be as good or better than last season. Not saying he wouldn’t be just saying it would be tough.
This Northwestern game is so important for the fans, Frost and the entire team.

Ithink its realistic.
We have some young talent, but Benhart, Corcoran and Teddy all started as freshmen, talents there,need time to grow.
Until last year,severe WR lack of talent/depth, same for RB.
TE has been steady, only TE coach is left.
No depth,misplaced LBs early,no pass rushers and starting freshmen at rush end.
I agree with him.

It would be tough for Trev to fire Frost after he qualifies for his first bowl game. Going from 3 to 6 wins is progress ( not as much as fans want) and I’m not sure you want to tear this down and start over again. There’s not too many seniors especially on offense and the defense should be as good or better than last season. Not saying he wouldn’t be just saying it would be tough.
If they could keep most of the coaches here already, and just Frost and Chinander go, would it be totally tearing it down? Frost and Chinander are joined at the hip. I have to agree that 6 wins doesn't do it.

6 wins probably equals 7-6. No thank you.

Frankly, I see no point to wondering how many games Frost must win to keep his job. I see so many upgrades on this team that I just want to enjoy seeing this season play out. I love the RB room, the defensive ends/linebackers, Casey is a big upgrade at QB if you ask me, the DLine, our wide receivers, the tough workouts our OLine guys are getting . Call me a fan. Let the season begin! I can’t wait!

We need a podcast link for verification that this isn’t…

trolling.ashx

Last edited:

Frankly, I see no point to wondering how many games Frost must win to keep his job. I see so many upgrades on this team that I just want to enjoy seeing this season play out. I love the RB room, the defensive ends/linebackers, Casey is a big upgrade at QB if you ask me, the DLine, our wide receivers, the tough workouts our OLine guys are getting . Call me a fan. Let the season begin! I can’t wait!
I agree with this 100%, thank you. This team should win 9-10 games and be pissed by doing only that. In my opinion this team is getting it's MoJo back. These guys are a cornered bobcat. They are ready to lash out bearing claws and don't really care whom they may offend along the way. Mr. Nelson is the nucleus of this uprising. GBR

Until last year,severe WR lack of talent/depth, same for RB.

From a casual outside perspective, yes talent has been an issue at those positions. From an inside perspective we’ve had as many wr go onto the NFL the last 4-5 years as anytime in history. Stanley Morgan, wan’dale Robinson, JD spielman, samari toure we’re all very good college wr.

Gregg bell, Devine ozigbo, Maurice Washington…. If it’s been a talent issue it’s been in the trenches.

Frost himself proclaimed every WR group he had was better than any before. better every year, and he started with a pair combine for over 1800 yards… then brought in mr. Kentucky and stunted his growth before his layover in Lexington on his way to the NFL. Is that to say he was correct? No it seems to say he had no idea.

I’m mostly just venting…certainly not arguing because deep down inside I know the talent is either not there or not developing…. And it don’t matter which

From a casual outside perspective, yes talent has been an issue at those positions. From an inside perspective we’ve had as many wr go onto the NFL the last 4-5 years as anytime in history. Stanley Morgan, wan’dale Robinson, JD spielman, samari toure we’re all very good college wr.

Gregg bell, Devine ozigbo, Maurice Washington…. If it’s been a talent issue it’s been in the trenches.

Frost himself proclaimed every WR group he had was better than any before. better every year, and he started with a pair combine for over 1800 yards… then brought in mr. Kentucky and stunted his growth before his layover in Lexington on his way to the NFL. Is that to say he was correct? No it seems to say he had no idea.

I’m mostly just venting…certainly not arguing because deep down inside I know the talent is either not there or not developing…. And it don’t matter which
Problem is at wideout, compare us to Oregon at wideout, not our past.
We need Purdue/OSU numbers or close. What we've been doing on offense wont work with getting a Toure from FCS, we have MJ to fix that, and I'm confident he will.
Even Minnys putting more guys next level at WR. We are better, but still not there.
Its like having Nelson with no one to back him up, but this year we have Mathis.
We literally havent recruited much at wide out, and those we have are late signers who almost never cut it. We lost a lot of WR, most late signers, with SF having little todo in the recruiting, and by that I mean knowing a kid as a frosh or soph in HS, thats been out wr/OCs job, the two that arent here, though connections did get us Toure.

You will like Palmer, and theres at least 2 more that look promising, new wrs, brought on by MJ

Last edited:
Imagine the fun we could have if Chubba ends up being the starter at some point.

It's really crazy to me when I think about the number of wins Frost will need to reach to keep his job.

I mean, yeah, they get to 6 wins and go to a bowl for the first time since 2016, that's "progress". But Frost is the one that lowered the bar, should he get the benefit of it to stay around?

I'm taking Year 5 into account if I'm Trev. Is 6-wins progress in Year 5? 6-6 in Year 5 isn't the same as 6-6 in Year 1, Year 2. JMPO, but 6-6 isn't showing me he's the right guy for the job. 6-6 likely means losing to Wisconsin (again) and Iowa (again). Probably losing to Purdue or Minnesota. Two more teams he hasn't done well against. Losses to upper-tier teams like Michigan and Oklahoma (who is also navigating its own regime change).

That's not progress. Playing Toledo in the Quick Lane Bowl in Year 5 is not progress. Not at Nebraska. Not with your resources. Not in Year 5.

IMPO Nebraska has to win 8. That will mean they've beaten a couple of the teams I mentioned above. In Year 5, that has to be the barometer.

It's really crazy to me when I think about the number of wins Frost will need to reach to keep his job.

I mean, yeah, they get to 6 wins and go to a bowl for the first time since 2016, that's "progress". But Frost is the one that lowered the bar, should he get the benefit of it to stay around?

I'm taking Year 5 into account if I'm Trev. Is 6-wins progress in Year 5? 6-6 in Year 5 isn't the same as 6-6 in Year 1, Year 2. JMPO, but 6-6 isn't showing me he's the right guy for the job. 6-6 likely means losing to Wisconsin (again) and Iowa (again). Probably losing to Purdue or Minnesota. Two more teams he hasn't done well against. Losses to upper-tier teams like Michigan and Oklahoma (who is also navigating its own regime change).

That's not progress. Playing Toledo in the Quick Lane Bowl in Year 5 is not progress. Not at Nebraska. Not with your resources. Not in Year 5.

IMPO Nebraska has to win 8. That will mean they've beaten a couple of the teams I mentioned above. In Year 5, that has to be the barometer.
Imagine the squealing if it comes down to a new coach opening the pocket books.
Then next year we go 6-6. 8 Million a year :Hair Fire:

I’d agree. This schedule should produce 9+ wins by a well coached, well prepared, well managed team. There isn’t a team on the schedule it couldn’t beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back