• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charcoal vs Gas

I say gas because it is faster and more easily controlled. And by the way, I mean Natural Gas (even though i am technically in the propane business). I had a gas line put in for ~$300 when I got my gas grill. I have never had to worry about running out and the cost of Nat Gas is probably 20% of Propane. I have never done the math on charcoal, but I'd bet it is at least as expensive as propane. It was great for Hurricane Ike when we didn't have power for 11 days. Didn't have to worry about running out of nat gas, and I do have a charcoal weber and a bag of charcoal as a backup.

However, I will concede the taste argument for charcoal any time.

Health? I like my steaks, meat and vegetables with Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons. Nothing like a lot of benzene rings to give your food that taste and smell!

from the link: polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines created as food is cooked over the high heat of an open flame. (Part of the reason why being a chimney sweep is such a dangerous job.) You can try scraping PAHs off the surface of your burnt toast or spare ribs; don't bother trying with the HCAs, which are also formed inside meat cooked at high temperatures.

http://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2013/06/grilling-charcoal-vs-gas.html

Last edited:
Anyone else use the weber charcoal grill with gas lighter (performer deluxe)? I love mine and use it at least once a week, year-round. Durable too. Still going strong after 7 years.

Smoking burgers and steaks? What the?

They should be cooked with high heat and quickly, IMO. No smoking.

Nothing beats a reverse seared steak and burgers are that much juicer reverse seared as well but I don't do it all the time for the burgers.

Smoked steaks are good, but not my favorite. Smoked burgers are a great change up though to traditional burgers.

I wouldn't trade my Treager, which my wife bought me for Christmas 4 years ago for any other grill. The simplicity of it for grilling and smoking can't be beat.

I wouldn't trade my Treager, which my wife bought me for Christmas 4 years ago for any other grill. The simplicity of it for grilling and smoking can't be beat.
Treager brand is ok, green mountain is a much better pellet smoker, heavier built, better feeder, but they cost more.
Comes down to how much a guy will actually use it

Treager brand is ok, green mountain is a much better pellet smoker, heavier built, better feeder, but they cost more.

In the summertime I use it at least 3x per week and in the winter at least once a week. Yeah, I have heard green mountain and Luisiana Smokers are "better" so the people say that own them and that is fine. I have never had any problem with my treager.

Propane for convenience, smoker for great food. I just don't enjoy the middle-ground hassle of charcoal.
Yeah...dont remember last time i used charcoal. Wood chucks...that's it

Did a Pizza the other night on a the grill with pit BBQ stone....great

I love my RecTec, use it a couple times a week year round.

When I was a young man, I said I would never drive an automatic transmission car, have an artificial Christmas tree, gas fireplace, or a gas grill. I now have em' all. I have had most every type of grill and smoker over the years. I've settled on a Cookshack AmeriQue smoker, MHP Natural Gas grill with infrared burner, and a classic Weber+lump charcoal. I rarely fire up the Weber...

I am fully wussified. Nothing matches lump charcoal but I am a sucker for convenience.

Yeah...dont remember last time i used charcoal. Wood chucks...that's it

Did a Pizza the other night on a the grill with pit BBQ stone....great

image.jpeg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Does the smell of burning fur take away from enjoyment? ;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back