• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charcoal vs Gas

I've thought about something like that, but I don't know that I care to drop $60-65 bucks on one. I usually just use a chimney starter, so no need for lighter fluid. My method is probably slower... but how much slower? Is the Looftlighter really worth it?

Propane for convenience - yes
Smoker for great food - yes

But I'm not going to cook a steak or burgers on a smoker. I want those cooked hot and fast. My options for that are propane or charcoal. I typically use the propane, but there is a definite difference (for me anyway) using charcoal when I can.
I'm using lump vs briquette and reusing charcoal from the prior cook, so a chimney is not as useful for me. Where the electronic lighter really shines is heating quickly into a coal and not just lighting.

What would be interesting to try for free would be to light with the chimney and after a few minutes put a hair dryer on it. That extra air is what really gets things going.

Are we talking briquettes or lump? Briquettes are just coal, sawdust, chalk, borax, rat droppings, and whatever else they swept off the factory floor to use as fillers. Not sure how that beats propane. Hardwood lump charcoal in a weber is hard to beat.

hank-hill-funny.jpg

"Propane and Propane accessories" ;)

Watch the link .... :Balloons::Herbie:"Nebrasky" :Biggrin:. Co-star: Bill Callahan ;) and redneck Texass fans.

http://www.toonget.net/king-of-the-hill-season-12-episode-1

I watched it several times !!!!

Last edited:

Are we talking briquettes or lump? Briquettes are just coal, sawdust, chalk, borax, rat droppings, and whatever else they swept off the factory floor to use as fillers. Not sure how that beats propane. Hardwood lump charcoal in a weber is hard to beat.
Rat droppings and saw dust mixed with borax is still better then propane.
Yes, hardwood lump charcoal is the way to go

Rat droppings and saw dust mixed with borax is still better then propane.
Yes, hardwood lump charcoal is the way to go

Now thats dedication;) My wife and I grill probably 4-5 dinners a week, this time of year its still over 108 degrees around dinner time so we've gotten to where we just like the ease and timliness of our gas grill.

I have a Char Griller double barrel with the side fire box and love it. I only use the gas side during the week when I don't have the proper amount of time to use the charcoal side.

I have the same setup. I have had mine for about 10 years. Needs a new ash pan but that's about it. Smoked a brisket a couple of weeks ago. Man it was good.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back