• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charcoal vs Gas

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
I am sure we've talked about this before, but it's worth having a reminder from time to time. When I moved, I had to leave behind my trusty Weber charcoal grill. It was really, really old, but still performed like a champ. Unfortunately, we had to make room for more important things, such as the approximately 3,000 blankets my wife insists we need, or the 742,000 stuffed animals my children need. I suppose if I had more time I would have been able to find some room, but it is what it is. At least I got to keep my smokers.

As luck would have it, I found someone in the neighborhood that was looking to sell their Weber... identical to mine, just newer (no rotting wooden handles like mine had). I meant to send them a message to buy it, got distracted, and forgot about it. A few weeks later the post was bumped with a new price... $20. Seriously? Twenty bucks for a shiny, like-new Weber? Too good to be true, right?

It was for real. And it is beautiful. I made some burgers tonight over charcoal with a few chunks of hickory thrown in for good measure. Some melted pepperjack cheese and a soft bun toasted on the grill and I was in heaven.

Gas is sure nice for a quick cook, and I use that grill all the time. But there's really no beating charcoal if you have the time.

Totally agree. I just don't always have the patience for it. Trying to tell the wife that is a different story as we both know. ;)

I am sure we've talked about this before, but it's worth having a reminder from time to time. When I moved, I had to leave behind my trusty Weber charcoal grill. It was really, really old, but still performed like a champ. Unfortunately, we had to make room for more important things, such as the approximately 3,000 blankets my wife insists we need, or the 742,000 stuffed animals my children need. I suppose if I had more time I would have been able to find some room, but it is what it is. At least I got to keep my smokers.

As luck would have it, I found someone in the neighborhood that was looking to sell their Weber... identical to mine, just newer (no rotting wooden handles like mine had). I meant to send them a message to buy it, got distracted, and forgot about it. A few weeks later the post was bumped with a new price... $20. Seriously? Twenty bucks for a shiny, like-new Weber? Too good to be true, right?

It was for real. And it is beautiful. I made some burgers tonight over charcoal with a few chunks of hickory thrown in for good measure. Some melted pepperjack cheese and a soft bun toasted on the grill and I was in heaven.

Gas is sure nice for a quick cook, and I use that grill all the time. But there's really no beating charcoal if you have the time.
I had this talk, (argument) with my ex wife. She insisted that if charcoal was so good, why don't most restaurants use them. I told her she was nuts, she didn't agree, I bought the Weber. Later, she finally broke down and agreed with me.

Preach!

I actually think the taste difference is minimal, but I absolutely love the smell of a charcoal grill warming up. It makes the wait all worth it.

Last edited:

hank-hill-funny.jpg

I have a Char Griller double barrel with the side fire box and love it. I only use the gas side during the week when I don't have the proper amount of time to use the charcoal side.

Back on topic... I like oak myself but hickory is nice

I had this talk, (argument) with my ex wife. She insisted that if charcoal was so good, why don't most restaurants use them. I told her she was nuts, she didn't agree, I bought the Weber. Later, she finally broke down and agreed with me.
Ex wife, agreeing? That's rare,

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back