• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Charcoal grilling is better than gas

Asterix

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
I have been a fan of charcoal for decades. Now there is science behind my opinion. :Biggrin:

www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/charcoal-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-gas/

To understand why, you first need to understand that flavor and taste are not the same thing. “Within flavor, we have taste compounds and we have aroma compounds,â€￾ says Gavin Sacks, associate professor of food science at Cornell University. “Our brains just aren’t designed to decouple them.â€￾

What charcoal brings to the party is a healthy heaping of aroma compounds, the other half of the power couple that is flavor. In fact, aroma might be the super starlet in that relationship, because our tongues are actually pretty limited. “There are only five taste receptors that are well-agreed-upon to exist within your taste buds,â€￾ says Sacks. He’s referring to sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and the new kid: umami. :confused:

Enjoy the grill!

I agree charcoal grilling tastes better... But my burgers will be done on my gas grill before you can get your charcoal ready to start cooking. I grill almost every day so pretty often convenience wins out.

I agree charcoal grilling tastes better... But my burgers will be done on my gas grill before you can get your charcoal ready to start cooking. I grill almost every day so pretty often convenience wins out.

Yep. I love charcoal but never use it. The last time I replaced my gas grill I took the old one and converted it to charcoal. That was 5 years ago and it hasn't been fired up yet. The wife keeps yelling at me to throw it away, but I keep telling myself "one of these days"

I used a gas grill exclusively for my entire life. I switched to doing all of my grilling on a old smokey last summer. I will never cook steaks or burgers on a gas grill again.

I did not know there was ever a debate on charcoal vs. gas grilling. Charcoal is much better for end result. I am pondering a gas grill, but cant make myself buy one. The time spent on charcoal is worth it when you eat the end result.

I have a gas grill, a charcoal grill, and a charcoal/wood smoker. I use all of them, but the gas grill gets the most use simply due to its convenience. Like Number305, I grill pretty much every day, and it would be very time consuming (and expensive!) to have to deal with charcoal that often.

This thread makes me think the ol' Weber charcoal grill needs to be fired up tonight, though. :thumbsup:

Gas grill for convenience, like during the week. Easy to fire up, quick to cook, and everyone is happy.

Charcoal/wood is for the weekend. Slow cooking, smoking, and superior flavor when you have the time to dedicate to your fire and food.

I am a fan for both for these reasons, and these are why I use each one. I will most assuredly be getting the smoker out this weekend. It is time for smoked baby back ribs, smoked sausage, and more than likely smoked chicken... Thanks for the inspiration guys!

Last edited:
My grills might soon be forgotten. Tonight I put together my new turkey fryer. I thought what the hell, and deep fried some steaks. Omg

I used a gas grill exclusively for my entire life. I switched to doing all of my grilling on a old smokey last summer. I will never cook steaks or burgers on a gas grill again.

I usually take an empty can and put wood chips in it and put it on my gas grill. I get all the taste and flavor of a Weber but in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back