• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Central Florida Draft Picks Year 2

I don't have a problem with any of those. What really started me spinning my wheels was when I researched it for Nebraska for 2020 draft picks, the 5 guys listed in one of the articles weren't even all-conference in 2018. Feel like we are reaching a bit there.

30,000 view. Do you think there’s in correlation to the coaching at UCF pre Frost to what he brought in and developed the talent to that level? Question really is: was the raw talent there waiting to be developed with the right coaching, or would they have been drafted anyway?

Assuming the former, what’s your take on the level of raw talent that exists on the current roster, and whether it’s the development that is waiting?

This thread brings up a question I asked when Frost was hired. I’m not talking comparing conferences or anything else, but strictly raw talent on the rosters top to bottom, how do we compare with the UCF squad they inherited... for anyone in the know- I’m clearly not that guy

I didn't perceive your post as doom and gloom. It's a fair observation. The staff didn't inherit a ton of NFL talent but with continued development and a good season, there should be quite a few draft picks over the next couple of years.

Lamar Jackson has the measurable but he needs to continue to develop and prove that he can become a play maker on every down. His head seems to be on right and he could become a late rounder.

Dicaprio Bootle has a lot of upside potential and is another mid to late-round guy.

Jojo Domann has a similar skill-set as Nathan Gerry. The kid has natural football instincts and could be a late round guy.

Mo Barry has a physical stature similar to Lavonte David but he's a step slower. He's overcome some adversity; is strong as hell; has a great motor and with his solid work ethic - it could make him a mid-round guy if he has a big year.

Deontai Williams is another guy that can write his own ticket if he continues to work and grow at this level. I like this kid a lot.

Ben Stille is only a junior and he could be the best out of this group.

I'm also a fan of Deontre Thomas but he's young and needs more reps. The kid has the perfect body type and physiology to become a monster. The one thing NFL players have - most of them won the genetic lottery and Thomas has the clay and can mold it if he wants to work for it.
I like all of those guys you listed. I think you can throw in the Davis twins due to their athleticism. But again, it's just weird for me where we are talking about guys who could be dratted that we are having to talk ourselves into compared to the past 50 years where even under Pelini, we had guys on our team we were hoping didn't leave early as juniors.

From the offensive side, I think you have Jaimes, Spielman, and maybe Farniok at guard as juniors. I don't have enough info on DWilliams, I think he has the tools, but he was our 4th safety last year. Keep forgetting he's only a junior as well. Barry's measureables may not be there for him, but I expect an all-conference year from him. Bootle will be able to light up a 40, maybe he can get it done. We know Jackson has the measureables, will his film show it?

30,000 view. Do you think there’s in correlation to the coaching at UCF pre Frost to what he brought in and developed the talent to that level? Question really is: was the raw talent there waiting to be developed with the right coaching, or would they have been drafted anyway?

Assuming the former, what’s your take on the level of raw talent that exists on the current roster, and whether it’s the development that is waiting?
I think that's what I was getting at.... the raw talent down there may have been better than what Frost had to work with. And while i'm not privy to the depth at UCF when he got there, seems we had some major issues there as well. I think Duval, Frost, and Chinander got those guys going right away, and again the point i'm trying to make is i'm not sure guy like Dicaprio Bootle are an eventual 1st round draft pick like Hughes. I don't think Alex Davis or Tyrin Ferguson are 5th round picks. I don't know if our NG is a 2nd round pick.

omg let CFU go
You mean let go of why we hired our current coach and why all the national media has us projected for a huge year 2 under him? Oh boy...
Related image

This thread brings up a question I asked when Frost was hired. I’m not talking comparing conferences or anything else, but strictly raw talent on the rosters top to bottom, how do we compare with the UCF squad they inherited... for anyone in the know- I’m clearly not that guy
I really don't know how they compare top to bottom, but on the surface looking at what I pulled up just from draft picks, I don't think there's any way we get to 4 draft picks in 2020. So I think their top end talent was vastly superior.

Now, with that said, guys like Mike Hughes were a big help for him down there. We pulled in Darrion Daniels and are working on solidifying Jahkeem Green. Those guys are pretty elite talents. Not first round draft pick talents, but could work their way to be drafted.

I also am real excited to just see us in a defensive scheme for the second year in a row. Literally the last 5 years our defensive players have had to learn a new defense every single year. No wonder we have struggled not only on the scoreboard but with development.

2014 Pelini
2015 Banker
2016 Banker (paid to bring rugby tackling experts in changing force for the entire defense)
2017 Diaco
2018 Chinander
2019 Chinander x 2 LETS GOOOOOO

I really don't know how they compare top to bottom, but on the surface looking at what I pulled up just from draft picks, I don't think there's any way we get to 4 draft picks in 2020. So I think their top end talent was vastly superior.

Now, with that said, guys like Mike Hughes were a big help for him down there. We pulled in Darrion Daniels and are working on solidifying Jahkeem Green. Those guys are pretty elite talents. Not first round draft pick talents, but could work their way to be drafted.

I also am real excited to just see us in a defensive scheme for the second year in a row. Literally the last 5 years our defensive players have had to learn a new defense every single year. No wonder we have struggled not only on the scoreboard but with development.

2014 Pelini
2015 Banker
2016 Banker (paid to bring rugby tackling experts in changing force for the entire defense)
2017 Diaco
2018 Chinander
2019 Chinander x 2 LETS GOOOOOO

Really interested to see the improvements this fall. Like you’d mentioned, you can’t change every damned year and expect improvement or linear improvement.

If a team is undefeated, there are some pretty decent players making some pretty special plays. That tape will get people noticed and then drafted. I'm sure there is some amount of bias towards players who are on successful teams and getting drafted vs players who are on poorer teams but have equal talent.

So, yes, NU can have 4 players drafted if they win 9 or 10 games. That will mean players are making plays and it wouldn't be crazy to think LJackson, Barry, Davis twins, etc don't find a way into the draft. Which, would give NU a drafted player at all 3 levels, coincidentally.
I am not sure that winning or losing games in college per se will have any affect on getting drafted. The NFL is looking for individual skilled athleticism. Of course if college teams have enough of them they will be successful (Wins/Losses) and there is certainly a correlation between talent and W/L's but if the players you cite have good years and NU wins 6 or 7 games they could get drafted. NU could also win 9 games and have no one drafted.

I firmly believe NU's draft failure in recent years have less to do with recruiting performance and more to do with development and coaching, or lack thereof. Is 1+ year of SF et al and his strength and conditioning group enough to transform current talent into draft-able talent?

I am not sure that winning or losing games in college per se will have any affect on getting drafted. The NFL is looking for individual skilled athleticism. Of course if college teams have enough of them they will be successful (Wins/Losses) and there is certainly a correlation between talent and W/L's but if the players you cite have good years and NU wins 6 or 7 games they could get drafted. NU could also win 9 games and have no one drafted.

I firmly believe NU's draft failure in recent years have less to do with recruiting performance and more to do with development and coaching, or lack thereof. Is 1+ year of SF et al and his strength and conditioning group enough to transform current talent into draft-able talent?
It is not 1-1 but there is an indirect correlation. There are only so many scouts. So logically they spend more time on the teams with winning records. If there is a special player like a Lavonte David or a Suh that has crazy stats they will of course get noticed from highlight films. However as a general rule winning teams get more players drafted because they get watched by more eyes.

I guess I was just trying to point out they had some pretty good talent on that team, playing in an AAC. Frost and Chinander helped bring that out... 0-12 to 13-0 is unreal. I just don't know if we have those kind of horses they had down there yet.
If you're drafted, you're certainly talented. But if you're talented, you're not necessarily drafted.

Does that make sense?

I think the NFL has missed out on great players in the past because a guy wasn't the right height, or didn't have the right 40 time... or didn't play on a very good team with good coaches.

There is a reason that the very best football players on the planet (NFL) still have coaches. They have to be taught to look that good. All the physical talent in the world won't get you drafted if you don't have someone to teach you how to play the game.

Nebraska has raw talent, if you believe the recruiting rankings. They are hopefully being taught better now, which will make them more attractive to the NFL.

If you're drafted, you're certainly talented. But if you're talented, you're not necessarily drafted.

Does that make sense?

I think the NFL has missed out on great players in the past because a guy wasn't the right height, or didn't have the right 40 time... or didn't play on a very good team with good coaches.

There is a reason that the very best football players on the planet (NFL) still have coaches. They have to be taught to look that good. All the physical talent in the world won't get you drafted if you don't have someone to teach you how to play the game.

Nebraska has raw talent, if you believe the recruiting rankings. They are hopefully being taught better now, which will make them more attractive to the NFL.
I think you are spot on. Should we be mad we had Stanley Morgan even though he wasn't drafted? What about Ozigbo who turned into a monster the second half of the season? To your point, both players weren't drafted, but they weren't any of the reason we were 4-8. So you make a good point.

I do think having some draftable players though means you have some pretty good talent on your squad. We are just lacking a bit there. It will get back up to where it needs to be.

I think we're in a position this year of having far greater depth than UCF had but lacking the top end talent, if that makes sense. I'm not sure some of our starters are quite where some of the guys they had drafted were but I also don't think there's as big of a drop off to our 2nd and 3rd string.

I'm mostly just interested in seeing how we respond with 2 years in the same offensive and defensive systems. That's basically an anomaly around these parts

I keep hearing that O'leary left Frost with some fantastic athletes and recruits to work with. I just don't agree with that. If you look at the 4 years of UCF recruiting below prior to Frosts arrival (Via 247), it certainly is not good recruiting. BTW, ZERO 4 Star recruits in any of those years. Coaching (our staff) is what made that team good. They changed the culture and developed the players. Our 'cupboard' is nowhere near as bare as UCF's was when Scott came in...

Year Nat'l Rank
2012 96
2013 79
2014 68
2015 71

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back