• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Casual follow of husker baseball

70county

Scout Team
20 Year Member
I realize that a football team that hasn’t gone bowling since the Clinton administration is king around here, followed by the rightful crown bearer in womens volleyball, then bowling, e-sports, rifling….

Anyway, to follow baseball you really need to dig much more than a casual fan is going to do. Yes there are some diehards that post on the baseball board, give pitch by pitch blogging, blow gaskets and name call if anyone questions the early season progress of a team that can’t practice baseball outside till mid season and how they compare to teams that can play year round…. But those are a small number of the fans that would get into baseball if it was much more front and center. Especially after spring practice, can’t we put the diamond on the front page? Front and center, with easy to see, easy to follow game scores, @CrnhskrBob game cast, player names, lineups, starting pitchers, weather conditions, highlights…maybe just a more direct upfront focus.
Give baseball the football treatment for a couple months and see if a few more guys will pull out their phone between casts for a quick score check or to see if Brice Mathew’s has hit another homerun, or to see if Matt Anderson can chase down Ken Harvey’s batting average.

*I am not a programmer or designer but I understand there are difficulties to pull this off to the degree I have in my head. Perhaps changing the focus of the front page week to week, month to month, season to season based on the moment on hand is just not prudent for the overall healthy of the board. But some small tweaks could go along way into pulling people back in during summer.

Perhaps others on the board can have actual suggestions how to do some of these things or maybe feel it’s good as is.

@BigRedMax

I realize that a football team that hasn’t gone bowling since the Clinton administration is king around here, followed by the rightful crown bearer in womens volleyball, then bowling, e-sports, rifling….

Anyway, to follow baseball you really need to dig much more than a casual fan is going to do. Yes there are some diehards that post on the baseball board, give pitch by pitch blogging, blow gaskets and name call if anyone questions the early season progress of a team that can’t practice baseball outside till mid season and how they compare to teams that can play year round…. But those are a small number of the fans that would get into baseball if it was much more front and center. Especially after spring practice, can’t we put the diamond on the front page? Front and center, with easy to see, easy to follow game scores, @CrnhskrBob game cast, player names, lineups, starting pitchers, weather conditions, highlights…maybe just a more direct upfront focus.
Give baseball the football treatment for a couple months and see if a few more guys will pull out their phone between casts for a quick score check or to see if Brice Mathew’s has hit another homerun, or to see if Matt Anderson can chase down Ken Harvey’s batting average.

*I am not a programmer or designer but I understand there are difficulties to pull this off to the degree I have in my head. Perhaps changing the focus of the front page week to week, month to month, season to season based on the moment on hand is just not prudent for the overall healthy of the board. But some small tweaks could go along way into pulling people back in during summer.

Perhaps others on the board can have actual suggestions how to do some of these things or maybe feel it’s good as is.

@BigRedMax
Thanks for your input. 1st of all, it is Max, not Matt. "See" you on the baseball forum. :lilred1: :Computer::Popcorn:

Last edited:
By the way, where have you been, 70 county? Can't remember whenever you posted the last twenty years. In any case visit once in a while.. :Popcorn:

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. 1st of all, it is Max, not Matt. "See" you on the baseball forum. :lilred1: :Computer::Popcorn:

By the way, where have you been, 70 county? Can't remember whenever you posted the last twenty years. In any case visit once in a while.. :Popcorn:

Indeed it is… Max! How many times has that name been front and center on the main page? A bit surprised I got Brice correct. For a couple of guys that are mashing it this year, a little more love needs tossed there way…
Again, maybe that doesn’t register enough to the masses to make any sit altering changes, it’s not my place to make those decisions, I’m only putting it out there to think about for whoever’s decision that is. If Max Anderson/Brice Mathew’s had a homerun counter or a .400 over under watch front and center neither I nor any other visitor to the site would call them Matt or Bryce.
Me (along with many other husker fans) visiting the baseball form more is what the op is about. People are lazy. If they have to hunt for something they aren’t gonna bother. How many times have you seen the “question” on the form followed by “too lazy to look it up.” And looking up the final score of today’s or last nights game is more difficult than need be on the site.
Subtle changes aren’t gonna sway diehards already in the form measuring their fan sticks, it’s not gonna bring in folks thst don’t care but it would drastically increase interest of those that are interested but not invested..IMO
Baseball has become increasingly like hockey, it’s fading into obscurity as diehard baseball fans are more worried about measuring there fanhood than having productive conversations about the game. It’s almost as if they were old school skaters that live by “keep skateboarding a crime” motto.
Apologies to all those offended by my suggestions, I simply believe more could be done to push husker baseball not only here but across the state….#GBR

Indeed it is… Max! How many times has that name been front and center on the main page? A bit surprised I got Brice correct. For a couple of guys that are mashing it this year, a little more love needs tossed there way…
Again, maybe that doesn’t register enough to the masses to make any sit altering changes, it’s not my place to make those decisions, I’m only putting it out there to think about for whoever’s decision that is. If Max Anderson/Brice Mathew’s had a homerun counter or a .400 over under watch front and center neither I nor any other visitor to the site would call them Matt or Bryce.
Me (along with many other husker fans) visiting the baseball form more is what the op is about. People are lazy. If they have to hunt for something they aren’t gonna bother. How many times have you seen the “question” on the form followed by “too lazy to look it up.” And looking up the final score of today’s or last nights game is more difficult than need be on the site.
Subtle changes aren’t gonna sway diehards already in the form measuring their fan sticks, it’s not gonna bring in folks thst don’t care but it would drastically increase interest of those that are interested but not invested..IMO
Baseball has become increasingly like hockey, it’s fading into obscurity as diehard baseball fans are more worried about measuring there fanhood than having productive conversations about the game. It’s almost as if they were old school skaters that live by “keep skateboarding a crime” motto.
Apologies to all those offended by my suggestions, I simply believe more could be done to push husker baseball not only here but across the state….#GBR
Husker baseball is very popular in the state and local. We're just not very successful in the upper tier as in Omaha et cetera. It is what it is. In the meantime, will enjoy it as much as we can. Lots of us have faith

Last edited:

@BigRedMax

FWIW, basketball doesn't get any special treatment either -- and it tends to draw more attention than baseball. But I do like your ideas.

Just a personal opinion, but more attention towards baseball would happen if we had a good product. I love baseball, but it's just hard to get excited about our team. We are a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. Your ideas are good, but I am not so sure they would help.

Just a personal opinion, but more attention towards baseball would happen if we had a good product. I love baseball, but it's just hard to get excited about our team. We are a mediocre team in a mediocre conference. Your ideas are good, but I am not so sure they would help.

NU Baseball has been an after thought since Horn left, then add to it the move to a horrible baseball conference and you get NU baseball! They have had flashes, only to fall flat again.. Until we put out the money for a proven head coach, we will get more of the same. The problem is our conference.. We won't get a proven head coach to come here.. not in this conference!

See I just disagree….but agree….LOL

Money talks

If Trev is willing to fork over the money…we can get whoever Trev wants…The facilities are top notch…good support and fan base.

Again…..it’s all about money

BiG will change for the better I think with the addition of USC and UCLA…and maybe a couple others.

Maryland was a solid get baseball wise…

But until PSU, Northwestern, Purdue and Minny improve their Baseball programs…..we will never be considered with the Big Dogs in the ACC, SEC, Big 12 etc.

Can we still…even with those limitations….get to the CWS??….

Yes…but it will always be an “exceptional” year for us unless NU hires a really big name who brings in future MLB talent.

Other than VB (for a few months in the fall) Husker football "news" is huge, ever present and truly overwhelming.
When I was in junior high I remember my Dad saying "there will more ink used writing about a Husker football player that farts in public vs the death of the governor of Nebraska". Big Red mania obviously and the other sports limp along with minimal coverage except slightly more coverage during their respective seasons.

Huskers fans are the best and we love sports in general. Not just football. I use women's volleyball as an example. What state supports that sport like we do? None. Why? We have a long term excellent product that contends for a national championship year after year. If baseball did that, I think the fan support would be awesome. Build it and they will come. I echo what johnrr6 said, we need to spend the money and grab a big name coach who can recruit MLB talent to the roster. If we did that, maybe it would have a ripple effect and other BIG schools may follow suit. They have the money to do it with the huge $ the new BIG contract brings in.

I live in SEC country (it's painful at times), my wife is from TN and a huge Vols fan so we watch a lot of SEC baseball. Watching these games really displays the disparity between SEC and NU baseball talent wise.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back