• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

cast iron skillets

I have also heard the older the iron skillet the better... than the modern ones made today for the fact of the iron was made better back then.

And it adds iron to your food for additional benefits!

I have also heard the older the iron skillet the better... than the modern ones made today for the fact of the iron was made better back then.

And it adds iron to your food for additional benefits!

I have cast iron skillets over 100 years old:rockon::banana:

You can have my cast iron when you prey my cold dead hands off off of them:Biggrin:

Cast Iron all the way, I would suggest a big skillet, I have the Lodge 13", great for making two good sized steaks.

Not sure if this has been discussed.

I'm thinking about getting a cast iron skillet/pan....your thoughts? Are they worth it? benefits v. cons of having one?

Thanks.

Nothing is better than a well seasoned cast iron skillet. I have several pieces including a biscuit pan among others. I always cook breakfast on cast iron. Also cook burgers and chopped steak in the winter on them. I have some of the best nonstick cookware money can buy, yet I always end up using my old cast iron more than the rest.,.,. for some reason the foods just taste better when cooked on cast iron. I would bet anyone that spends a decent amount of time in the kitchen loves cooking on cast iron.

I almost forgot- NEVER put your cast iron in the dishwasher!!!! Wash it with a soft bristle brush.

Last edited:

Not sure if this has been discussed.

I'm thinking about getting a cast iron skillet/pan....your thoughts? Are they worth it? benefits v. cons of having one?

Thanks.

Still using my great-grandmother's skillet. Just wonderful and no wear what-so-ever.

My wife has forbade the use of cast iron on her glass top stove. I am not happy. This means that I am going to have to get a propane burner for real cooking on the back patio. HA! My grandfather used to always use his big cast iron skillet for making red eye gravy with the bacon drippings. Always tasted the best, I miss that man and his cooking.

My wife has forbade the use of cast iron on her glass top stove. I am not happy. This means that I am going to have to get a propane burner for real cooking on the back patio. HA! My grandfather used to always use his big cast iron skillet for making red eye gravy with the bacon drippings. Always tasted the best, I miss that man and his cooking.

Squatchsker, you have no problem that can't be easily solved here.

Option 1: Get a new wife.
Option 2: Keep the wife and move her stove to the back patio, then buy a new stove for the kitchen that is tough enough for your cast iron.

The choice is hers. But tell her: "Once she goes cast iron, she'll never go back!"

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I will cook a pound of bacon in my 12" cast iron skillet, followed by diced chicken breasts, onions, garlic, & one finely diced jalapeno. Once the chicken is cooked through, and the garlic is soft, I pour 2 packages of prepared Jiffy Corn Bread mix over it all. Stir it all together & bake according to the directions on the Jiffy Box. When it is done, I turn off the stove, and drizzle honey all over the top and put the skillet back in for about 10 minutes to set the top.

If no one likes jalapenos, I reluctantly leave them out. I then take out a stick of butter at the end, rub it all over the top of the cornbread, and back in for 10 minutes. The result is awesome.

When I am grilling my steaks, I saute mushrooms, onions & garlic right on the grill in my cast iron skillet. Great toppings for the steak & baked potato.

I also make sausage, peppers & onions in my cast iron skillet. I start with ring sausage:

ItalianRingThinPlainSausage.jpg

I cook it for about 10 minutes on both sides, turning once. Then I add chicken stock to steam the sausage for about 15 -20 minutes. I add stock as it cooks so as not to burn the sausage. While the sausage is cooking, I am cutting up red, green, yellow, and orange peppers, slicing onions, and peeling garlic. I remove the sausage after the 40 minutes of cooking, and add the vegetables to the skillet. Once they begin to soften, I add the sausage back in and cook until the peppers are done, the onions are cooked through, and the garlic has become a thickener for the sauce.

When I am grilling my steaks, I saute mushrooms, onions & garlic right on the grill in my cast iron skillet. Great toppings for the steak & baked potato.

I also make sausage, peppers & onions in my cast iron skillet. I start with ring sausage:

ItalianRingThinPlainSausage.jpg

I cook it for about 10 minutes on both sides, turning once. Then I add chicken stock to steam the sausage for about 15 -20 minutes. I add stock as it cooks so as not to burn the sausage. While the sausage is cooking, I am cutting up red, green, yellow, and orange peppers, slicing onions, and peeling garlic. I remove the sausage after the 40 minutes of cooking, and add the vegetables to the skillet. Once they begin to soften, I add the sausage back in and cook until the peppers are done, the onions are cooked through, and the garlic has become a thickener for the sauce.

Are you a genius?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back