• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Carriker interviews Jammal Lord

My memory of Jamal was at the Kansas State game in the early 00's, I was in the end zone seats with a friend, and watched them (kansas*) line up in an obvious option situation and there were like 3 guys in the middle of the line and 8 guys on the perimeter, and I hoped we'd audible to the FB or halfback and run it up the middle for a td. Jamal did not (don't know if it was him or the coaches). But the failure to audible to the situation left me feeling we were on a downward trend.

Never thought we'd still be here almost 20 years later...sigh.

My memory of Jamal was at the Kansas State game in the early 00's, I was in the end zone seats with a friend, and watched them (kansas*) line up in an obvious option situation and there were like 3 guys in the middle of the line and 8 guys on the perimeter, and I hoped we'd audible to the FB or halfback and run it up the middle for a td. Jamal did not (don't know if it was him or the coaches). But the failure to audible to the situation left me feeling we were on a downward trend.

Never thought we'd still be here almost 20 years later...sigh.
Wow, after all these years we've finally figured it out--the decline of Nebraska football was caused by a missed audible. Harvey, Steve and Shawn can all rest easier now!

JL on the 95 team = TF.
As much as I loved watching JL, he is no Tommie Frazier. Few are. Tommie was a cut throat, gamer. His will to win was off the charts. Haven’t seen many like him here, or anywhere since. He is one of the greatest players in NCAA history. Should have had three titles in his own pocket.

JL was a tough runner in a one man offense who did all he could do. He was a punishing runner, delivered more than he took. Loved watching him. If not for him, NU loses more than the 7 games they did in 2002.

Wow, after all these years we've finally figured it out--the decline of Nebraska football was caused by a missed audible. Harvey, Steve and Shawn can all rest easier now!

For want of a nail, Husker edition:

For the want of an option, the play was lost.
For the want of a play, the game was lost.
For the want of a game, the season was lost.
For the want of a season, the coach was lost.
For the want of a coach, the AD was lost.
For the want of an AD, the program was lost.
All for the want of an option.

As much as I loved watching JL, he is no Tommie Frazier. Few are. Tommie was a cut throat, gamer. His will to win was off the charts. Haven’t seen many like him here, or anywhere since. He is one of the greatest players in NCAA history. Should have had three titles in his own pocket.

JL was a tough runner in a one man offense who did all he could do. He was a punishing runner, delivered more than he took. Loved watching him. If not for him, NU loses more than the 7 games they did in 2002.

Yep. Lord was an good QB for the run-first game we played back then. People write him off but when you're succeeding Crouch, a Heisman and a NT appearance, you're filling big shoes.

Watch the play versus ASU at 0:25. Lord turns a 5 yard sack into a +10 gainer for a first down purely by evasiveness and his powerful running. There are a dozen clips in this video of him not settling for a mere 5 yards, but he buries his shoulder into a LB and gains 5 more yards.

Last edited:

I remember NU was getting its ass kicked at Iowa State the week after Penn State. I don’t remember the score, maybe like 20 or 24 to zip at the time. NU got the ball on its own 20, and Lord throws a perfect rope to someone, 80 yards, TD. It didn’t matter as NU lost decisively, but it was a beautiful pass, catch and TD.

Jamaal Lord, the ghost of Carl Crawford. I don’t think they ever planned for Lord to be the starter. Losing Carl Crawford was a HUGE loss, and they didn’t replace him. That said, I think we could all unanimously agree, Carl Crawford made the absolute right choice. Lol

Tommie Frazier remains the most under appreciated, diresrespected, revisionistically undervalued player to have ever played at Nebraska, at least from what I've read over the years here on this board and elsewhere. I mean, geez.. we are talking about arguably the greatest college QB to ever play the game. It is just diss after diss. Does no one remember how electrifying he was? His assests, his skills, his presence..intangibly brilliant. His results, however, were quite tangible, indeed. Rant over.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back