• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Carl Pelini - The next Bobby Bowden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
In Steve Sipple's recent Column, he stated that Carl Pelini's HC job at FAU could become an "upward spiral to a big name program." I say this; Why can't Carl Pelini make FAU a big-name program just like Bobby Bowden did at Florida State, and remain there for the rest of his coaching life? Maybe he can turn FAU into a NC contender one day, just like Bobby did.

When Bobby Bowden arrived at FSU in 1976, FSU's record for the 3 previous years was 4 wins and 29 losses. FAU was 1-10 this year. Same situation, right? In his first year at FSU Bobby went 5-6, and 10-2 in his second year. In his 5th year Bobby played NU in Lincoln for the first time and won 18-14. Carl will visit Lincoln in 2014. Will Carl be able to win his first time in Lincoln as well? Who knows? But given the weather and the abundance of great DIV 1 players in the Florida area, if Carl is the recruiter and coach that BB was, he could pull it off.

There are many advantages at FAU such as:

1. Great weather: Average temperature in January is 76 degrees.
2. Excellent recruiting Base: Obviously Florida has an abundance of HS players who can play at the Division 1 level.
3. The FAU administration and fan base is hungry for a winning football program.
4. Boca Raton is a wealthy area which means potential for numerous wealthy boosters.
5. FAU/Boca Raton is located right on the Atlantic Ocean. Who doesn't love living by the Ocean?
5. Mafia support. Carl Pelini is Italian. Boca Raton is a well-known Italian Mafia Hang-out. The Gambinos have lived there for decades. If Carl can get Mafia support, just think how much that could enhance recruiting. The Mafia guys could contact the recruits Carl wants and make them an offer they can't refuse. "Hey Young Man, Carl wants you to play on his team. Now in the next 10 seconds either your signature is going to be on this letter of intent or your brains....you decide."

I wish Carl all the best. It should be interesting to see what happens: Link to Sipple Column

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_0553b6c6-5eba-5be1-bff1-52407a820ed2.html

Last edited:

You had me until you said mafia.

I think Carl will turn FAU into a respectable mid-major program, but they have some large disadvantages. Sure they're in Florida, but they're probably 5th on a Florida kid's list after the Gators, 'Noles, Canes and even USF.

You had me until you said mafia.

I think Carl will turn FAU into a respectable mid-major program, but they have some large disadvantages. Sure they're in Florida, but they're probably 5th on a Florida kid's list after the Gators, 'Noles, Canes and even USF.

5th on the Florida kids list is better than 1st on the Nebraska kids list. There are over 300 DIV 1 HS players from Florida every year. If Florida's top 4 programs take 80 of those kids, that leaves over 200 for FAU to compete for. Also, Carl can compete for the midwestern kids as well or even better than the BIG 10 schools can. All you have to do is invite a kid from Ohio or Indiana down to the warm ocean in December, and he will become interested immediately. I think Carl has landed himself a HC position with great potential. Sky is the limit. Only downside is that his team is not in a conference that gets a lot of exposue. It would really help him if he could get his team in the Big East or ACC conference one day.

How about we let Carl be the next Carl? One reason we're so discontented with the program is that we create our own fantasy expectations about the players and coaches and then blame them when they don't live up to them.

How about we let Carl be the next Carl? One reason we're so discontented with the program is that we create our own fantasy expectations about the players and coaches and then blame them when they don't live up to them.

So your saying that having expectations to win a division...or conference title is just fantasy?

FAU is never going to be a FSU or even USF.

I think Carl is going to build a very successful program there and then move on.

Disadvantages:

1. Conference affiliation
2. Saturation of Florida teams - not only FSU and UF but Miami FL, USF, UCF, FIU, Jacksonville, Bethune-Cookman ...
3. Presence of ACC and SEC conferences
4. Short term expectations (CP won't be given the grace period Bobby Bowden had)
5. Ability to hire and retain a quality football staff ($$$)

Disadvantages:

1. Conference affiliation
2. Saturation of Florida teams - not only FSU and UF but Miami FL, USF, UCF, FIU, Jacksonville, Bethune-Cookman ...
3. Presence of ACC and SEC conferences
4. Short term expectations (CP won't be given the grace period Bobby Bowden had)
5. Ability to hire and retain a quality football staff ($$$)

Agree. People like to forget that FSU was an indpendent until the early 90's, meaning Bowden wasn't saddled with playing poor conference competition, like Carl will have to. When was the last time a Sun Belt team even sniffed the top 25 in November?

Agree. People like to forget that FSU was an indpendent until the early 90's, meaning Bowden wasn't saddled with playing poor conference competition, like Carl will have to. When was the last time a Sun Belt team even sniffed the top 25 in November?

I don't have any illusion of FAU cracking the top 25 but I think Carl can with his skill recruit and coach the players he needs to be a dominate force in the Sun Belt. Taking FAU from cellar dweller to contender will be good enough for his career.

I don't have any illusion of FAU cracking the top 25 but I think Carl can with his skill recruit and coach the players he needs to be a dominate force in the Sun Belt. Taking FAU from cellar dweller to contender will be good enough for his career.

I think so to. I would say this, though, Carl may have enough name recoginition to get FAU into the top 25, should he have a succesful enough season. I doubt too many CFB can name any of the Sun Belt coaches, outside of Carl.

I think so to. I would say this, though, Carl may have enough name recoginition to get FAU into the top 25, should he have a succesful enough season. I doubt too many CFB can name any of the Sun Belt coaches, outside of Carl.

His best shoot is beating the Huskers in 2014 ;)

FAU wants to move to the Big East at some point. 75 of the 385 Div 1 signees from Florida stayed in Florida last year. Carl will go after some of those 310 types that left Florida; plenty of opportunity.

here are the FIU assistant salaries from 2010..................FAU's main competitor

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/MessageBoards/showTopic.aspx?topicId=973

FIU

Geoff Collins
$146,969

$10,000
FIU

Scott Satterfield
$146,969

$10,000
FIU

Apollo Wright
$90,103

$10,000
FIU

Greg Laffere
$83,864

$10,000
FIU

Juan Navaro
$83,662

$10,000
FIU

Cedric Calhoun
$80,607

$10,000
FIU

Alex Mirabal
$80,441

$10,000
FIU

Frank Ponce
$80,441

$10,000
FIU

Jeff Popovich
$78,840

<tbody>
</tbody>

Even though there are a ton of D-1 programs in Florida, nobody is dominating. Miami has issues, including a crap stadium situation. Florida does not have Urban Meyer anymore. Is FSU trending up in the post Bowden era? Don't know yet. If Carl can pluck a few recruits from those three then really battle against the South Florida's and Central Florida's for recruits he'll do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back