• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Can't make sense of the muddle-headed reasoning behind this Rose Bowl projection

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUtronic

Unencumbered by the thought process
15 Year Member
Some unnamed pundit-wannabe from College Football News has Wisconsin playing Stanford in the Rose Bowl: "Why? It's all about the rematches. Was UCLA playing possum a bit in the loss to Stanford? Now the Bruins have to play the Cardinal for the Pac-12 championship with the winner ending up in Pasadena to play the Nebraska-Wisconsin winner. The Huskers won the first time around, but the Badgers are starting to pound away a bit better, and while they have lost three of their last four games, all came in overtime. All five UW lossses have come by seven points or fewer."

What a broken-down breakdown. As Vinnie Barbarino used to say, I'm so confused.

First he speculates that UCLA might've intentionally held back against Stanford -- but picks the Cardinal to win again anyway. Why, if UCLA lost because it didn't want to show its hand for the next game? (Playing possum? Gee, what a great guess. I can just hear Jim Mora instructing his team to sandbag against Stanford, so it can surprise 'em in the P12 championship. No better explanation for the game's outcome)

Then he picks Wisconsin over NU because, hey, the Badgers might've lost a lot of games, but at least they were really close losses, some even in overtime. And "starting to pound away a bit better," must mean that, after an in-season firing of its OL coach, Wiscy's ground game has gone from abysmal to mediocre. Thanks to stat-padders vs. Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Indiana, Montee Ball's rushing avg. is now over 4 yds. per carry. Unlike the first time vs, NU, he won't get stoned again. I guess. (Don't know what's enabled Wiscy to pound away better -- other than playing Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Indiana.)

No clue what he means by "it's all about the rematches," because there's no pattern to his self-contradictory logic: He picks both a winner and loser of the first game to win next week.

A Bleacher Report-esque effort. This guy is tryin' to think, but nuttin's happenin.'

http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html

Scout's writers are not much above Bleacher's.

A lot of them are just pimply-faced geekoids with little knowledge of football.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if he's right or not. I do know that we will have to play much better offensively than we did last Friday. Yes, the weather was part of the problem. However, we did not execute very well the entire game. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will be a very difficult game, especially if we keep making a multitude of mistakes on offense.

Some unnamed pundit-wannabe from College Football News has Wisconsin playing Stanford in the Rose Bowl: "Why? It's all about the rematches. Was UCLA playing possum a bit in the loss to Stanford? Now the Bruins have to play the Cardinal for the Pac-12 championship with the winner ending up in Pasadena to play the Nebraska-Wisconsin winner. The Huskers won the first time around, but the Badgers are starting to pound away a bit better, and while they have lost three of their last four games, all came in overtime. All five UW lossses have come by seven points or fewer."

What a broken-down breakdown. As Vinnie Barbarino used to say, I'm so confused.

First he speculates that UCLA might've intentionally held back against Stanford -- but picks the Cardinal to win again anyway. Why, if UCLA lost because it didn't want to show its hand for the next game? (Playing possum? Gee, what a great guess. I can just hear Jim Mora instructing his team to sandbag against Stanford, so it can surprise 'em in the P12 championship. No better explanation for the game's outcome)

Then he picks Wisconsin over NU because, hey, the Badgers might've lost a lot of games, but at least they were really close losses, some even in overtime. And "starting to pound away a bit better," must mean that, after an in-season firing of its OL coach, Wiscy's ground game has gone from abysmal to mediocre. Thanks to stat-padders vs. Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Indiana, Montee Ball's rushing avg. is now over 4 yds. per carry. Unlike the first time vs, NU, he won't get stoned again. I guess. (Don't know what's enabled Wiscy to pound away better -- other than playing Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Indiana.)

No clue what he means by "it's all about the rematches," because there's no pattern to his self-contradictory logic: He picks both a winner and loser of the first game to win next week.

A Bleacher Report-esque effort. This guy is tryin' to think, but nuttin's happenin.'

http://cfn.scout.com/2/557866.html

Well, I'm not going to go read a blogger on Bleacher Report or Scout... if I wanted to read hogwash I'd write something down myself and read it. :Biggrin:

But if I understand your summary, it sounds like the argument is that it's difficult to win a rematch. I agree with that logic. I can think of several splits between teams, but I can't think of any rematches where the same team won both games (although I'm sure some exist). I'd rather play just about anyone beside Wisconsin for a championship.

I've heard that UCLA may have sandbagged as well... preposterous. The logic is they want to play Stanford in Palo Alto rather than Oregon at home in the Rose Bowl? Nope, not even a little bit. UCLA lost because Stanford outplayed them. Will be intersting to see how this rematch turns out. If both teams (Stanford and NU) can double down on UCLA and Wisconsin, it should be an intriguing Rose Bowl.

UCLA vs. Wisconsin is just an ugly Rose Bowl, a doomsday scenario this year. I can see where pundits and fans in those areas are rooting for this matchup, because it's probably the only scenario where they have a chance win the bowl. But it's very unlikely.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if he's right or not. I do know that we will have to play much better offensively than we did last Friday. Yes, the weather was part of the problem. However, we did not execute very well the entire game. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will be a very difficult game, especially if we keep making a multitude of mistakes on offense.
I hear you. With NU being the slow-starting, turnover and penalty machine that it is, anything can happen. And Wisconsin really is better offensively than the first time it played NU, when it was in disarray on O. There's also the X factor of a new UW QB. Plus you wonder about the impact of Steinkuhler's loss against an improved Wisconsin rushing game (he stuffed Ball repeatedly last time). And, like the article said, UW consistently lost close games to teams that NU barely beat. NU should win, but it won't be easy. Nothing this season has been.

Still, that writer's idiocy meter was pegged full right. He seemed to imply that UCLA was so afraid of playing Oregon in the P12 championship that it essentially threw the Stanford game, to assure a better match-up next week. Again, I can just hear Jim Mora telling the team, "We know we're better than these guys, so we'll lose to 'em today and then beat 'em when it really counts."

Riiiight.

Last edited:

Well, lets not down play the season long narrative by those in the media that the BIG stinks. That narrative goes out the window if NU goes to and wins the Rose Bowl, giving the BIG 2 top 10 teams. That would mean sports writers like those at CFN would have swallow their pride a little and say the BIG wasn't really that bad after all, especially if Mich and NW win bowl games and finish in the top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back